Get the cortisone injection or not?

HATE

Awards
About five years ago I hurt my hip. Im not sure exactly what happened to it. The incident itself didn't seem like it should have really done much. I was camping with some friends and we were all in the giant tent we had. We were all gonna turn in for the night and then two of my friends stood up and startied wrestling and I was the closest one to them, and then they started to fall toward me so I lifted my knee up to avoid catching an elbow to my junk. Well when they fell on me my flexed leg got bent across my body, basically like an extreme stretch and it bothered me for about a month after that. Then the pain went away and I've been able to do the activities such as weight lifting, sprinting, fighting, and grappling. There have been times where I've done movements that caused discomfort and clicking. A couple times when I was walking down a decline I got hit with a sharp pain but that only happened maybe three times. And side lunges felt weird. Well to sum it up this past summer I woke up one morning and my hip has been aching ever since. I got checked out and I have good range of motion in my hip so its not cartilage related. I had x-rays and everything looks fine. The doctor believes it is burstitis on the trochanter because of where the pain is and that is mainly in the upper right portion of the glute. He had me take aleve for ten days to see if that would do anything. The aleve helped to some degree but the ache is still there. If that didn't fix it he wanted to use a cortisone injection. I don't know what to do in this situation. I have until October 29th to decide. I've done some research on cortisone injections and it seems like there are so many different thoughts on it. I believe there is a good chance that there is scar tissue in my hip and that's causing the pain/inflammation but I don't even know what to do about that. I understand that cortisone can help with pain but I don't want it to only be a short term fix and then have more damage occur because I cant feel the pain. I do know that getting an mri would probably reveal what the problem is but I have a feeling the doctor is gonna try to heal the symptoms before anything else. So does anyone have any thoughts about cortisone injections? Any experience with them? Basically should I do it or are they not worth the risks?

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
IMO Cortisone injections are a temporary bandaid type thing. Yes they will reduce inflammation .... yes they will help reduce pain. But they will not address the underlying cause of the problem. And if you continue with cortisone injections the long term effects include muscle breakdown amongst other things and that is counterproductive to what we are all trying to do here at AM. Not sure I have an alternative for you .... but I strongly suggest you research as many alternative treatments as possible before going with the cortisone injections.

HATE

Awards
Ok thanks man. Ive been looking at other options.One is ultrasound and the other is bee venom therapy. The crappy thing is that not alot of alternatives are offered in the area i live in so odds are that i'll have to fix this issue my self

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
Ok thanks man. Ive been looking at other options.One is ultrasound and the other is bee venom therapy. The crappy thing is that not alot of alternatives are offered in the area i live in so odds are that i'll have to fix this issue my self
I'm not a Dr. ..... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night ;)
IMO searching for treatments outside the western medicine box always proves to be a wise choice. Our medical system is more of a sales rep for the big pharmaceutical companies rather than true healers .....