Advice on effectiveness of men's gym compression pants.

viking805fan

Awards
Hi guys,

I've been wondering about these compression pants that Nike and Under Armour make. I usually wear compression shorts but would like to receive more support throughout my legs specially when I work them out on leg days at the gym. Do you any of you guys wear compression pants (leggings) to the gym? Do you find them to be effective? Also, would be the best way to wear them? I might feel a bit embarrassed wearing them even under shorts. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm not familiar with humidification therapy...but compression garments should be easy to wear on HIIT day.

Int J Sports Physiol Perform. 2013 Sep;8(5):542-8.

The effects of 4 different recovery strategies on repeat sprint-cycling performance.

Argus CK, Driller MW, Ebert TR, Martin DT, Halson SL.
Source
Performance Recovery, and Martin, the Physiology Dept, Australian Inst of Sport, Belconnen, ACT, Australia.
Abstract

Purpose: To evaluate the effectiveness of different recovery strategies on repeat cycling performance where a short duration between exercise bouts is required. Methods: Eleven highly trained cyclists (mean ± SD; age = 31 ± 6 y, mass = 74.6 ± 10.6 kg, height = 180.5 ± 8.1 cm) completed 4 trials each consisting of three 30-s maximal sprints (S1, S2, S3) on a cycle ergometer, separated by 20-min recovery periods. In a counterbalanced, crossover design, each trial involved subjects performing 1 of 4 recovery strategies: compression garments (COMP), electronic muscle stimulation (EMS), humidification therapy (HUM), and a passive control (CON). The sprint tests implemented a 60-s preload (at an intensity of 4.5 W/kg) before a 30-s maximal sprint. Mean power outputs (W) for the 3 sprints, in combination with perceived recovery and blood lactate concentration, were used to examine the effect of each recovery strategy. Results: In CON, S2 and S3 were (mean ± SD) -2.1% ± 3.9% and -3.1% ± 4.2% lower than S1, respectively. Compared with CON, COMP resulted in a higher mean power output from S1 to S2 (mean ± 90%CL: 0.8% ± 1.2%; possibly beneficial) and from S1 to S3 (1.2% ± 1.9%; possibly beneficial), while HUM showed a higher mean power output from S1 to S3 (2.2% ± 2.5%; likely beneficial) relative to CON. Conclusion: The authors suggest that both COMP and HUM may be effective strategies to enhance recovery between repeated sprint-cycling bouts separated by ~30 min.
Effect of Pressure Intensity of Compression Short-Tight on Fatigue of Thigh Muscles

Miyamoto, Naokazu; Kawakami, Yasuo

Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise

Purpose: Existing studies have failed to provide evidence of a positive effect on exercise performance by wearing a compression short-tight covering only both thighs. This could be due to an inadequate pressure intensity that otherwise has a significant effect if applied on the crucial point in the thigh. This study aimed to examine the effect of pressure intensity of elastic compression short-tights on the metabolic state of thigh muscles during submaximal running.

Methods: Two groups of eleven male subjects performed treadmill running at 12 km/h in three conditions in each of experiment 1 (short-tights with a compression intensity at the thigh of 8 mmHg (LOW) and 15 mmHg (MID), and non-compression short as a control (CON1)) and experiment 2 (short-tights with 20 mmHg (MID-HIGH) and 25 mmHg (HIGH), and CON2). Before and immediately after the running exercises, T2-weighted magnetic resonance images of the right thigh were obtained without testing garments. From the images, skeletal muscle proton transverse relaxation time (T2) of each muscle in the thigh was calculated.

Results: T2 was significantly increased after the treadmill running in all conditions in the hamstring and adductor muscles. In experiment 1, after the running T2 elevation was significantly smaller in MID than in CON1 for the biceps femoris, semimembranosus, adductor longus and adductor magnus muscles. In experiment 2, after the running T2 elevation was significantly lower in MID-HIGH than in CON2 and HIGH for the biceps femoris, semimembranosus, and adductor longus.

Conclusion: The findings suggest that wearing a compression short-tight with a pressure intensity of 15-20 mmHg at the thigh can reduce development of fatigue of exercising muscles during submaximal running exercise in healthy adult males.

(C) 2014 American College of Sports Medicine

viking805fan

Awards
Wow...wasn't expecting an answer like that. :blink:

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
I wear compression shorts not for the compression but just so I'm covered when I do legpresses and knee raises. I'm a medium but I wear XL compression shorts. It's still tight on my thighs but I have room for my package

I tried a few compression pants but none fits me properly because my calves are a but thick. Feels restrictive and I ended up with a strain calf from it.

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
I wear compression shorts not for the compression but just so I'm covered when I do legpresses and knee raises. I'm a medium but I wear XL compression shorts. It's still tight on my thighs but I have room for my package

I tried a few compression pants but none fits me properly because my calves are a but thick. Feels restrictive and I ended up with a strain calf from it.
Seconded. As much as I'd like to show of my wheels, some of the old timers aren't too fond of the whole short-shorts & stringer type deal.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

I wear a medium and buy medium compression shorts lol. That tight fit! Good to know about the pants and calves. My calves have always been bigger. If one looks at my legs, my knees look non existent between my quads and calves. I was thinking about buying some compression pants, but idk now.

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
My junk doesn't fit in compression pants/shorts.