Returning to school

SheddingSkin

SheddingSkin

Awards
I would like to return to school for a two year degree and am deciding between three career paths.

1.) Physical Therapy Assistant
-This is the degree I am most interested in, it seems to encompass many different areas of practice that I would enjoy. Helping others heal and recover, learning about the human anatomy, being able to administer physical exercise to my clients, and an overall satisfaction knowing I helped someone. On the downside it would pay the least of the three jobs, yet schooling would also be the least expensive. Another downside to the job is that there is no room for advancement, there is no continuing education for a PTA and the only possible advancement would be a management position.

2.) X-Ray Tech
I hear two opinions on this field, one that it is over saturated and you won't be able to find a job, and two because you can go into different areas of focus such as CT scan, ultrasound, MRI, working in hospitals vs outpatient facilities, you will be able to find a job in this field. With this job compared to PTA I feel like there may be room for further advancement in the field.

3.)Registered Nurse
Again some say nursing is so flooded with people trying to find jobs that it's very difficult to find a full time position, while others say there is always a need for nurses. By far the most expensive for school but I can achieve my two year degree, land a job, and continue school for my four year degree. This job will allow me to earn the most money and have the most opportunity for advancement due to the diversity of the field, yet it's one of those jobs where you have to be a nurse because you want to be, not just for the money.

Just looking for member advice, if any of you guys and gals working in these fields?

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
As far as being an RN, take it from someone who knows a lot of nurses. If you do not need your BS now to get a job in your area, more than likely, you eventually will.

Tagger

Tagger

Awards
X-ray. You would make more. Haha.

Tagger

Tagger

Awards
Well I think..

Wolfy3d2000

Wolfy3d2000

Awards
  • Established
If you're interested in Physical Therapy, look into Occupational Therapy. It's a much wider area of practice and a much more creative and interesting field IMO. OT is similar to PT in that we rehab patients with injuries, only we get to do it in a way that incorporates more activities and different treatment methods. The old saying goes PT will teach you to walk, but OT will teach you to dance. Also, we work with more than just rehab patients, we work with pedis with physical disabilities, in school systems in a variety of different ways, geriatrics, and there is also a large OT presence in the mental health setting.

SheddingSkin

SheddingSkin

Awards
As far as being an RN, take it from someone who knows a lot of nurses. If you do not need your BS now to get a job in your area, more than likely, you eventually will.
That would be the smartest route to go. Go straight through my four years of schooling, but with my kids and having to maintain my full time job I don't think it would be realistic at the moment. If I can do my two years and get a job and eventually go back for my bachelors in nursing then that would be fantastic.

X-ray. You would make more. Haha.
I will have to check into that, I think nursing would make the most be I know X-Ray techs can earn a lot depending where they work.

If you're interested in Physical Therapy, look into Occupational Therapy. It's a much wider area of practice and a much more creative and interesting field IMO. OT is similar to PT in that we rehab patients with injuries, only we get to do it in a way that incorporates more activities and different treatment methods. The old saying goes PT will teach you to walk, but OT will teach you to dance. Also, we work with more than just rehab patients, we work with pedis with physical disabilities, in school systems in a variety of different ways, geriatrics, and there is also a large OT presence in the mental health setting.
I have been interested in OTA as well, they both seem like great choices and I can see how OTA has more opportunities. Any options on PTA and OTA in general? I have been reading a lot of internet boards and the general impression seems to be that eventually OTAs and PTAs will be an obsolete career due to the ever changing health care system and insurance companies no longer covering certain services and treatments. PT school is 8 years and OT school is 6, which is a bit unrealistic for me at the moment. I would hate to spend the money and time with school if there is a chance that the Job outlook for PTA/OTAs is going to be grim.

Wolfy3d2000

Wolfy3d2000

Awards
  • Established
That would be the smartest route to go. Go straight through my four years of schooling, but with my kids and having to maintain my full time job I don't think it would be realistic at the moment. If I can do my two years and get a job and eventually go back for my bachelors in nursing then that would be fantastic. I will have to check into that, I think nursing would make the most be I know X-Ray techs can earn a lot depending where they work. I have been interested in OTA as well, they both seem like great choices and I can see how OTA has more opportunities. Any options on PTA and OTA in general? I have been reading a lot of internet boards and the general impression seems to be that eventually OTAs and PTAs will be an obsolete career due to the ever changing health care system and insurance companies no longer covering certain services and treatments. PT school is 8 years and OT school is 6, which is a bit unrealistic for me at the moment. I would hate to spend the money and time with school if there is a chance that the Job outlook for PTA/OTAs is going to be grim.
People are always going to have injuries they need to have rehabbed, some kids will always have learning disabilities, mentally ill patients are going always be around, people are always going to have strokes and whatnot, and geriatric patients are not going to suddenly be able to function properly. PT and OT is going to be around until all if these issues are obsolete.

To become an OTA or PTA it was take 2 years. There are programs where you can become an OT or PT in 5 or less years.

Jackedjack

Jackedjack

Awards
Become a radiologist, the man who reads the X-rays and mris. Or interventional radiologists. They have the most flexible hours out of the three and make a lot of money. Schooling is similar to nursing with a two year residency at the end but easily pays $100k-250k more a year.

emantest

emantest

Awards
Become a radiologist, the man who reads the X-rays and mris. Or interventional radiologists. They have the most flexible hours out of the three and make a lot of money. Schooling is similar to nursing with a two year residency at the end but easily pays $100k-250k more a year.
I believe you have to have gone to medical school, residency, then make $300-400K after 8-10 years of school.
As far as becoming an RN or any of your choices it will be very challenging. I've been a nurse for 20 plus years and make a nice living as well as make a difference in people's lives everyday, very rewarding. Nursing is very broad by that I mean there are so many different areas to go into. If you get bored then do something different not just from adults to peds but something totally different. I've done so many different areas but for the last 12 I've done inpatient dialysis. Good luck.