Fat Asses at Supermarket

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I went into the supermarket today thinking of getting myself sort of a cheat meal. The thing is I see all these fat asses and see all the processed unhealthy crap in there carts. Its just plain disgusting. It almost makes me want to puke when I see what they look like and see what they have in there cart. I mean I'm talking 300 pounds and they got 6 half gallons of ice cream in there cart along with assorted processed frozen meals. I hear things like "Go get me my doughnuts", "Oh yeah were out of doritos". So I come out of there with a cliff bar and some brocoli. Maine is the fatest state in New England, it was on the news the other night. They have to have public service anoucements telling people to get off there fat asses and not to eat so much. They are even considering passing a law that would make restaurants in the state have the macros and calories listed for every one of their items on the menu. The kids are even fat here. Its disgusting when you see a mom thats about 5'6" and 300 pounds and her 8 year old daughter is almost the same fucking size!.

http://www.freep.com/features/food/rector4_20030304.htm

http://www.boston.com/news/local/maine/articles/2003/10/24/study_to_explore_increase_in_obesity_in_maine/#

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
It's hard to see that believe me I know. Some (a very small number) have conditions but most don't. I'm a trainer so I see these people come in all the time. A lot of them try and blame gentics, saying that their mom and dad are big so they "got" it from them. LOL

Then we go over their diet and you find out real quick what the problem is. I don't lie to these people but I'm not rude about it. I tell them your diet is in bad shape and needs to be drastically changed if their to get results. Keep in mind food triggers strong chemicals in the brain so most people have a strong addiction to fatty and sugar filled foods.

Our country and it's obesity rate is insane. It breaks my heart when I have to train a 11 year old and he tells me " I have to lose weight" . It's a damn shame man. :sad:

knox

Awards
  • Established
The whole thing is rediculous. About any state you travel into you'll find these fatty's, and what especially irritates me is the attitude most of them have. Just the other day me and my buddy went into a pizza/pub for a little pizza to help keep us sane. And to our suprise we found a couple of massively nasty obese people desperately waitting for their 5lbs of food and large cup of grease to wash it down. Of couse I had the privilage of watching these two anxiously wait for their food while my buddy watches the hot waittress....:hammer: So finally the cook brings out this massive sub sandwhich. At once one huge lady gets pissed off and requests that the manager come out at once. He comes out and she bitches and moans how there is too much grease on her chicken/peporroni (sp) sub. She asks for her money back and by the time the manager comes back with here 8 bucks she has already devoured this 14 inch sub. She snatches her green and wadles out...(side-ways through the door). Did she fail to realize that when you go to a fast pizza/pub the food will be greasy and unhealthy? I doubt it since it didn't seem to slow the process of consuming a sandwhich that would give a starving African a heart attack.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I just watched "SuperSize Me" (the McDonalds movie) and it is really worth watching for everybody interested in health....never eating fast food again (even for cheat meals).

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I just watched "SuperSize Me" (the McDonalds movie) and it is really worth watching for everybody interested in health....never eating fast food again (even for cheat meals).
Good movie.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah I watched that a few months back. Be sure to check out the special features of the DVD. Watch how long the fries last and don't go bad!. Its pretty nasty!. Also the fried twinkies! Thats sick!. I stoped eating fast food about 5 years ago though, I just can't eat it anymore. It makes me sick literally!. Even when I do get something to "cheat" with its never fast food, and if I get it in a package I check the ingredients to make sure there are no trans-fats. I can't really eat processed foods anymore anyway, due to my IBS. Thats another thing that stops me, if I eat like ****, it just makes me feel like ****!. A lot of foods that I could eat as a cheat have to be eliminated because they aggravate my IBS symptoms. Don't get me wrong, I do "cheat" but I mostly look for organic foods, or "all-natural", or if I go to a restaurant I try to get something on the menu thats the least processed. For instance if I decide to get a chocolate bar to cheat, I will look at the ingredients and make sure there are no chemicals and its just plain chocolate, or I get an organic one. If I do decide to get ice cream which is really hard on my stomach so I rarely get it, I go with plain chocolate all natural, or lactaid brand. If I don't get candy or ice cream sometimes I'll get a protein/energy bar and consider that my treat....

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Isn't there a point though where these people look in the mirror and say enough is enough!?!?!. I mean if you have to turn sideways to get out the fuckin door do you really think you should be buying potato chips and ice cream?. Or is it that these people just give up?. I'm not trying to be mean or anything and I am not trying to make fun of these people. Its just hard for me to understand it though. I mean I'm not super ripped or anything, but these people just seem not to care. They shouldn't just give up. Its upsetting really.

lozgod

lozgod

Awards
  • Established
I hate the fact people preach tolerance of fat people, and that the kids shouldn't tease the fat kids. I think any parent that has a fat kid should be arrested for child abuse, endangering the welfare of a child and reckless endangerment.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Isn't there a point though where these people look in the mirror and say enough is enough!?!?!. I mean if you have to turn sideways to get out the fuckin door do you really think you should be buying potato chips and ice cream?. Or is it that these people just give up?. I'm not trying to be mean or anything and I am not trying to make fun of these people. Its just hard for me to understand it though. I mean I'm not super ripped or anything, but these people just seem not to care. They shouldn't just give up. Its upsetting really.
I've been there before and most of my family is still there. I've been exercising in general for about 4 years now and the whole time I've been trying to get my parents and sis to jump on board with me...they're finally starting to come around.

Losing weight takes sacrifice and motivation. You have to really want to do it. And of course you need some sort of direction or plan that works (think of all the people on low-carb diet yo-yos)

Another problem is that it has become socially acceptable to be over-weight. I've lost almost 70 pounds of fat in the last 8 months, and sometimes I feel like I "fit in" more with society at 245 lbs. then I do now. Its really fucking sad.

chasec

Pityin' fools since '81
Awards
  • Established
with the country's adult obesity rate at around 60% now, it's an official epidemic. what's really scary is that childhood obesity is >15%. that number is massive when you consider how many of the kids that aren't "obese" yet will become so by the time they hit 18. i think something is going to give in the near future, as typeII diabetes, hypertension, and heart disease are literally killing our nation.

Longdog

Awards
  • Established
I think part of the problem is our country's acceptance of being fat as OK. I cannot understand why it is so easily accepted. That 60% obesity number sickens me. I try to go out of my way to let fat people know they are fat & it's not OK (without being belligerent). Somebody's gotta tell them, right?

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Worry about your own life and stop dictacting to other's what their life should or shouldn't be.

I don't have time to worry about someone else. Glad to see so many of you do!

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Worry about your own life and stop dictacting to other's what their life should or shouldn't be.

I generally have the same opinion, however when I'm forced to pay for the health care of those same fat asses, I get a bit more interventionist. I think judgement is healthy and good. Whether through God or nature I have a brain capable of making judgements about this and that. Not using it would be foolish. I judge those who are ridiculously obese to be disgusting bastards. I've got nothing against being overweight, I am myself, but there's a point which people just shouldn't go beyond.

R6Speed

Board Supporter
Awards
I agree that people should worry about their own lives, but obesity is costing us all. In the article below it reports that the US spent 93 billion on diseases related to being overweight or obese in 2002. That number will probably only go up and with many wanting to expand government health care in the US it will be a major problem for all of us.

http://www.azcentral.com/health/kids/articles/0125ob25.html

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I generally have the same opinion, however when I'm forced to pay for the health care of those same fat asses, I get a bit more interventionist.
:goodpost:

I also generally do not care what others do and sit in judgement, but when it affects society as a whole, and my personal health care costs, that's when being tolerant and dismissive goes out the window.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Funny though... who is to actually blame?

When I go to a restaurant (unless fine dining) I get this huge portion of food that would take my g/f 3 meals to eat. I could eat it, another side and desert without blinking. My stomach knows no limit on when it's time to stop until I am actually hurting from all the food in my belly.

Many of us grew up to not waste our food so we eat it all.

I think it easy to dismiss fat people as the leeches and wretch's of society but I think people also fail yo recognize why some people are obese. I know of two people who are very obese. One has had her thyroid completely removed. She's never found a Dr. or diet plan that understood her problems and how to best battle them to lose weight. She does exercise. Another has an immune illness that literally prevents him from exercise. He tries but then crashed and crashed hard for 2-3 weeks everytime he get a bit of steam under him to exercise.

Don't always judge a book by it's cover, you know?

As for the grocery store people... I agree with that in some ways. Although, I weigh 276 right now but I probably look about 240, give or take. People don't buy I am 276. Anyway... in my shopping cart on Sunday (cheat day :D, I had: 6 veal cutlets, a package of cupcakes, a package of pasta, garlic bread, a whole pizza, chicken wings and ice cream.

Now... I have no doubts a skinny fucker was looking into my cart thinking... lose all the junk buddy.. you're too fat as it is. lol

So, by their judgements I am a fat **** who can't control his eating when the reality is I eat chicken and broccoli for 30 meals a week. Eggs and protein shakes along with EFA'S make up the other meals. But I am judged by my shopping cart.

See what I am saying? That's all. :D

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established

Though obesity and being fat in general sicken me, I usually tend not to care either way. Call me selfish, but they are the ones who have to look at themselves in the mirror day in and day out. They have to live with being fat. In fact, one of my best friends is fat. One of the coolest guys you could ever meet. He always had low self esteem and always had a tough time with women because of his weight. Great guy, but I do feel sorry for him. Last time I saw him he was working on losing weight and actually lost like 50 lbs or so. He looked good and everyone in my family noticed the change right away. I could tell it made him feel good. I guess what I'm saying is maybe, just maybe, instead of putting them down, we should try encouraging them. For most of them it's a disease that can almost be impossible to overcome sometimes unless they have a little bit of guidance and encouragment.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Let me put it this way:

I think it goes without saying that individual cases should be carefully reviewed before determining if they should be treated differently. There will always be some cases of people who are exceptions ot the general rule. I believe the good of the many outweighs the good of the few, and therefore these cases would be the exceptions and should be accounted for ;)

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Though obesity and being fat in general sicken me, I usually tend not to care either way. Call me selfish, but they are the ones who have to look at themselves in the mirror day in and day out. They have to live with being fat. In fact, one of my best friends is fat. One of the coolest guys you could ever meet. He always had low self esteem and always had a tough time with women because of his weight. Great guy, but I do feel sorry for him. Last time I saw him he was working on losing weight and actually lost like 50 lbs or so. He looked good and everyone in my family noticed the change right away. I could tell it made him feel good. I guess what I'm saying is maybe, just maybe, instead of putting them down, we should try encouraging them. For most of them it's a disease that can almost be impossible to overcome sometimes unless they have a little bit of guidance and encouragment.
EXCELLENT post man.

Seriously... couldn't agree more.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Ok:

I agree that we should encourage them to get fit and take better care of themselves. I think any reasonable person would agree with this.

My point, however, is that I do not see the rationale behind "not caring" anymore, when your own wallet will be hit to take care of people who are obese!! Health care costs are skyrocketing because of obesity, a preventable condition. I see it much like the environment: you can "not care" all you want, but that does not change the fact that this WILL affect all of us unless we do start to care and do something about it.

I don't want to pay more (for less coverage to boot) because some people cannot control themselves and get themselves into decent shape and live a reasonable lifestyle. So should we help: yes, but we should NOT ignore. JMO

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Ok:

I agree that we should encourage them to get fit and take better care of themselves. I think any reasonable person would agree with this.

My point, however, is that I do not see the rationale behind "not caring" anymore, when your own wallet will be hit to take care of people who are obese!! Health care costs are skyrocketing because of obesity, a preventable condition. I see it much like the environment: you can "not care" all you want, but that does not change the fact that this WILL affect all of us unless we do start to care and do something about it.

I don't want to pay more (for less coverage to boot) because some people cannot control themselves and get themselves into decent shape and live a reasonable lifestyle. So should we help: yes, but we should NOT ignore. JMO
Don't disagree with you but there's also smoking, alcohol, drugs and a host of other things yet we don't tend to put labels on these people like we do with people who are fat.

I think a lot of people just like to ridicule people who are fat because it's easy to do it seems.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Don't disagree with you but there's also smoking, alcohol, drugs and a host of other things yet we don't tend to put labels on these people like we do with people who are fat.
We do label these people also: smokers, drug-users, etc. The difference is we are not having a near-crisis because of their actions. Some health care costs rise because of their actions, but obesity is the major offender here, so it gets the attention. Smokers should also be subject to scrutiny for health benefit prices IMO (like they are with life insurance). The same concept applies: premiums rise because of actions by the individual that are completely voluntary and preventable.

I think a lot of people just like to ridicule people who are fat because it's easy to do it seems.
It is easy to do because an overwhelming majority of the time their "condition" is so easily preventable!

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Some would suggest drugs are a crisis in the US. Hence the war on drugs. A lot of money going towards a completely useless cause that you can't win or control.

Some would suggest smoking is a crisis.

Obesity is definitely a crisis and large (lol) people get the attention they do because you can look at someone and know they are obese. Unless you see someone smoking or using drugs... you can't really tell.

I've never heard someone being made fun of because they smoked or use drugs but I have seen and heard LOTS of people making fun of someone for being fat.

All 3 are preventable. All 3 affect health care but only one gets "real" scrutinty or attention it seems.

I'm not arguing that there is a problem. Trust me, I'm not. I just think we put more emphasis on this problem because it's a visual one that you can't hide from.

R6Speed

Board Supporter
Awards
I think one of the main reasons obesity gets so much attention is because of the rate people are becoming overweight/obese. I wonder what the US population will look like in 5 to 10 years. Today I think its at 60% of adults are overweight/obese.

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
I went into the supermarket today thinking of getting myself sort of a cheat meal. The thing is I see all these fat asses and see all the processed unhealthy crap in there carts. Its just plain disgusting. It almost makes me want to puke when I see what they look like and see what they have in there cart. I mean I'm talking 300 pounds and they got 6 half gallons of ice cream in there cart along with assorted processed frozen meals. I hear things like "Go get me my doughnuts", "Oh yeah were out of doritos". So I come out of there with a cliff bar and some brocoli. Maine is the fatest state in New England, it was on the news the other night. They have to have public service anoucements telling people to get off there fat asses and not to eat so much. They are even considering passing a law that would make restaurants in the state have the macros and calories listed for every one of their items on the menu. The kids are even fat here. Its disgusting when you see a mom thats about 5'6" and 300 pounds and her 8 year old daughter is almost the same fucking size!.

http://www.freep.com/features/food/rector4_20030304.htm

http://www.boston.com/news/local/maine/articles/2003/10/24/study_to_explore_increase_in_obesity_in_maine/#

On the other side of this note: I went out to the 16th street mall (outside mall)during lunch and damn I saw some sweet asses out there. Plus its nice out so the womens is wearing skirts and shorts and damn sweet asses. It made me want to hit the gym and do some cardio, get ready for the summer. I LOVE DENVER

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
We should worry about obesity and help people not be obese. Obesity has become ahuge economic burden in the USA. I can't believe how many fat kids there are in schools now a day.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Just looks at the kids today. Do you know how many kids under the age of 16 come to me and say how can I lose weight. First thing I do is going over what they eat. You should see what these parents are making for these kids. And don't get me started with our shitty ass lunch programs. Adult onset Diabetes is on the rise in our youth. If a child gets it before the age of I think 13 they lose roughly 27-35years of their life. It's a major epidemic that must be addressed not be accepted as I'm large and proud. That **** isn't gonna cut it.

knox

Awards
  • Established
Just looks at the kids today. Do you know how many kids under the age of 16 come to me and say how can I lose weight. First thing I do is going over what they eat. You should see what these parents are making for these kids. And don't get me started with our shitty ass lunch programs. Adult onset Diabetes is on the rise in our youth. If a child gets it before the age of I think 13 they lose roughly 27-35years of their life. It's a major epidemic that must be addressed not be accepted as I'm large and proud. That **** isn't gonna cut it.
Ya the food on college campuses and high school lunch programs consist of galleries of fatty non-nutritional foods. The obesity in this country has been acknowledged for several years and still I have yet to see any logical means of government programing in aiding this epidemic. But then again.....why would the gov. want to help when congress owns the health care system and provides new pills every week, advertising them on TV so everybody relies on some pill thus leaving this country with million's of perscription addicted obese citizens and multi-millionaire congressmen. Technology is also to blame, people have lost the desire to "do stuff." Why go camping when we can order a pizza and watch a movie...for example. Why participate in a sport when I can play it on a video game and not be required to move.....this could go on forever....

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
Education not intolerance is the answer. Fast food companies spend billions, hire behaviorists and psychologists to promote thier products in commercials.
Watch TV how many fast food ads do you see, ads for microwave dinners et al. People are slowly programmed to desire these foods in excess.. There are no
Eat Broccoli and spinach ads.. And if there are it`s the Jolly Green Giant coated in butter or make believe cheese. You have to want to lose weight and change your programming to do so..

Fat people don`t believe they are that fat, I didn`t. The people I know that are large rotund mammals can`t see it either. There is always someone larger to compare to.. But when you realize it`s a chore to bend over and tie your shoes or you walk 10 blocks and can`t catch your breath, it will come to you, maybe...

Blue Cross in my area has an excess in the billions of money on hand.. but do the rates go down? It`s just now that we have an aging population that has been fattening for years and the insurers, who obviously have made lots of money from Mc D`s and others stock, doesn`t want to pay the cost. If you don`t believe this go back and see who were the largest investors in Tobacco companies before smoking became uncool..

Besides fatness is big business..

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
No Jminis that isnt correct. You wont lose 27-35 years of your life if you get type 2 diabetes, its how well you control it that determines how much of your life gets chopped off but what people dont realize is that diabetes fucks you up real bad for a few years and then gives you a slow painful death, sometimes people get lucky and the kidneys go which helps to accelerate things but anyways

The rest of this thread has turned into the government hasnt done this or that. How is the government suppossed to do anything more than what they are - I guess we should allow all these lawsuits against McDonalds to go through. Its not thier fault they got fat they watched too many McD's commercials and were programmed to eat only that.

We should be puting the responsibility where it belongs on the parents and/or the individual. As a parent it is your obligation to take care of your kids as best as humanly possible that means taking care of thier diet and educating them as best as you can and if you dont know how then get a goddamn book, go to the library, ask for help from a personal trainer. It amazes me that when people really want something they'll find the resources for it but when it comes to taking care of thier family as long as they put food on the table and clothes on thier back they think theyre doing great.

The obesity epidemic is not the goverments fault, like I said put the responsibility where it belongs.

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
I mean heck I used to be fat, No i mean really fat, and i worked hard to get rid of it, along with a eating disorder, society was a HUGE factor in that as well.....Now I do have a pouch ( really I do) and well I am ok with that, I know its most likely going to stay till all the prednosone is out of my system...........

But i have to agree with Jiminis, when I have a 4 yr old on ONE SERVING of a meal and more on fruits and veggies cause she has a bigger stomach than I do....its a shame and I know what she is going to endear in her life.......I have tried over the course of the year to talk to mom and well mom's theory is, she likes to eat, let her be happy.......Instead of exercise its cookies and TV, and not riding her bike, or skating........I cringe when I hear her ask for more of meat and when she is huffing and puffing on the playground......I get her going, we run rely races, and ride bikes ( as I am the fun , crazy teacher) but i am limited to what i can do with my kids.......

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
The rest of this thread has turned into the government hasnt done this or that. How is the government suppossed to do anything more than what they are - I guess we should allow all these lawsuits against McDonalds to go through. Its not thier fault they got fat they watched too many McD's commercials and were programmed to eat only that.
No, I don't think the government should necessarily completely intervene (which some could say goes against my nature as a democrat, huh :p )

What I think may help is to show obese people that in the long run, they will have to pay more because of their lifestyle. Money speaks volumes ;) If an obese and unhealthy person has to pay more for the same coverage as someone who is healthy, than this may be a catalyst into getting their lardass on a treadmill and watching what they eat, or pay the price and be fat and die younger.... their choice.

Naturally the problem here is what is deemed "healthy" or "at risk" by individual health organizations. This may be where some type of government regulation steps in, to keep greedy HMO's and the like in check without having unreasonable definitions of "healthy" and "unhealthy". I also think maybe some sort of grace period could be given, such as maybe a year to get into a better health status or be charged. I don't have all the answers, but that seems to be one way to get people to care about themselves, while reducing the financial burden of those not voluntarily unhealthy.

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
I agree to a certain extent that obese people should have to pay more for health care but where does it end for unhealthy people. I spend about 200/month on prescriptions and that is with a good prescription plan. Also I work out 5 times per week, cardio included, have a clean diet and stay away from rec. drugs. Maybe if we try to define what is truly a preventable health risk and charge more to those people. Also incentives should be given to those with a healthy lifestyle such as gym memberships being tax deductible. There is way more that the general public could be doing but to blame the media and/or the government is looking in the wrong place. As Wrangler was saying the parents would rather say let the kid be happy instead of showing them some discipline and try to educate them why it is unhealthy to eat more than what you should then when they are obese blame the government for letting the schools have vending machines with candy.

BTW much props to Wrangler for showing a true interest and a possible solution, too bad the mom doesnt want to help out as well.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
What I find funny about this entire thing?

When I was in University (actually.. it was during the summertime) I was having a problem that couldn't be figured out. Anyway, I went through a full checkup and my doctor at the time (was in a different city) after my checkup told me I was over weight.

I stood in his office wearing only my gitch. I had visable abs and viens popping out all over me but he sat there and told me I was over weight... fat! Why? Because I weighed 230lbs and that was too heavy for my body (6'3") going by his "chart".

It was then I learned to never listen to a Doctor ;)

No real reason for posting this other than it's comical what the "government" decides is overweight ;)

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
One thing I want to mention is the media and their spin on these types of "reports". Technically, the emdia would have us believe those who use or have used steroids will suffer severe liver, heart and kidney damage as they get older and thus will become a burden on our health care system too.

The door swings both ways on this issue. What *I* cna definie as "heathly living" another can define as unhealthly living and cause stress on our health care system.

Another note I wanna point out. I have friends who are as skinny as they come. Eat NOTHING but junk and crap food and NEVER workout or exercise other than getting up to get more junk food to eat. I also have bigger friends who eat very healthy and never touch "junk" foods, also exercise but are still bigger.

Going by what people have suggest here... my bigger friends, while maintaining a healthy lifestyle will have to pay more for their health care while the skinny guy who never exercises and eats nothing but junk that's clogging his artaries will suffer no health care penalty.

This is a problem that will never be solved, unfortunately.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
thing is, our culture worships consumption and obsessive behavior in general. Dos't really matter if it's food, sex, work, movies, the internet, church, drugs, books, booze, music, tv, 12-step programs, Weight-Watchers(TM) - it's like as a society we're suspicious of people who aren't constantly doing SOMETHING.

That's a prescription for life-out-of-whack no matter WHAT one chooses for a primary addiction. And fat people are no more belligerent about their diets than my ex-wife is about her television - and no more obsessive about their eating than my current wife (who obsesses endlessly about every morsel she eats - but will NOT exerceise. At ALL.).

Yes, there are people who are in a sense trapped in obesity & trying to get out. I respect and admire these people & do all I can to encourage & support them. Then there are those who simply want to eat everything they see, and do - and resent it when anyone notices the spectacle they make at mealtime. I have to support them in a different way.....

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I definitely agree with two things:

1. Houseman: It is hard to define "healthy" vs. "unhealthy" and/or "at risk", I am well aware of this. This is why this system of monetary incentive will probably never be implemented, but it seems that is a universal attention-getter IMO. For those whose habits are unhealthy for most but can get away with it: I suppose that's the luck of the draw. This, IMHO, should not mean that because some are lucky that this is somehow "unfair" to others. If we know the majority of people are not like this, than it seems we would be sacrificing the good of the many for the good of the few if we were to consider them as a strong argument against monetary incentive health care, no?

2. To BodyWizard: I agree that over-consumption (in many different aspects) in our society is a serious problem and seems to be rewarded in America, especially considering business only stands to profit from it. This seems to be a statement...ok, but what should we DO about it? I think realizing the problem has come and gone, the next step is developing ideas for solutions, right? ;)

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Solutions? you want SOLUTIONS???
:rofl:

Yeah, well...that's different! :run:

I have no proposed solutions in mind; I'm just suspicious of quick-fix, rush-to-judgment approaches: the historical record shows a poor record for 'em. As you rightly point out, business profits greatly from our systemic malfunctions...and that means that politicians will do everything to protect those profits, short of angering the voters enough to get thrown out of office (a real, if rare, danger: one of the "main sides" of our status-quo is that we as a people are too distracted by our addictions of choice to pay attention to how we're being screwed thereby.

I mean, the current situation has been building since the end of WW2, and is not only deeply entrenched but has hellacious inertia - it's going to take a sea-change to deflect it, to say nothing of reversing it. I seriously doubt that a major crisis can be averted at this point, indeed it's even hard to say how the crisis will manifest: general failure of the HMO system? economic collapse? loss of faith in the political system? breakdown of sclerotic public institutions like public schools & hospitals?

I guess what I'm saying is my best idea is not that we can stop it, but that we need to be careful in figuring how best to apply our efforts. If all else fails, there's personal example: being healthy, strong, well-balanced - and refusing to buy into the bullshit.

There's a scene in MalcomX, where Elijah Muhammed points out that people need water and so they'll drink what they can get...but if they can see that they have a choice between clean and foul, they'll pick the clean every time. Maybe it's enough to look for those who are trying to wake up...and help them do so.

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
In this country everything is damned if you do and damned if you dont.
If you go to a restaruant and eat everything on you plate youre a glutton, if you dont youre being wasteful.
For so long the marketing companies were being bashed for providing unrealistic barbie doll role models but now theyre being bashed for saying its ok to be fat.
The fast food restaurants were catching flack due to rising prices so they offered super size and other type of things for just a quarter more, then they caught flack because their portion sizes were too big.

It seems like everybody wants to be told its ok to be the way they are and then blame someone else when they start having problems with who they are wether it be physical or psychological. Everyday I see something else in the media that tries to make me feel guilty for being a thin white blue-eyed male without credit card debt.
My point being is that you cant win, we cant charge higher premiums on these people because it would be considered hitting someone when theyre down, we cant force them to get thier ass in a gym anymore than we can force someone to pay attention to thier children. I think the only solution would have to be a culmination of the schools, teachers, parents, and sports programs. Good Luck in getting all those to work together.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
No Jminis that isnt correct. You wont lose 27-35 years of your life if you get type 2 diabetes, its how well you control it that determines how much of your life gets chopped off but what people dont realize is that diabetes fucks you up real bad for a few years and then gives you a slow painful death, sometimes people get lucky and the kidneys go which helps to accelerate things but anyways

I was referring to kids getting it at a young age. I watched a program a few months back about this subject and this is what the doctors stated.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I've got no problem with encouraging individuals. I do it all the time. But I'll pull out my own liver and eat it before I call being fat a disease unless it's got a cause other than shoveling too much food in one's face. A 'disease' with an etiology of low self esteem or stupidity doesn't cut it as a disease in my mind.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
We do label these people also: smokers, drug-users, etc. The difference is we are not having a near-crisis because of their actions. Some health care costs rise because of their actions, but obesity is the major offender here, so it gets the attention. Smokers should also be subject to scrutiny for health benefit prices IMO (like they are with life insurance). The same concept applies: premiums rise because of actions by the individual that are completely voluntary and preventable.
We could of course deal with this by stopping the state from providing medical coverage, and by allowing insurance companies to properly classify people and charge them accordingly, but there's near zero chance of that.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I've got no problem with encouraging individuals. I do it all the time. But I'll pull out my own liver and eat it before I call being fat a disease unless it's got a cause other than shoveling too much food in one's face. A 'disease' with an etiology of low self esteem or stupidity doesn't cut it as a disease in my mind.
True. Not a disease in the common sense, but a disease nonetheless. Here's a good article on obesity I found while screwing around on the net. Very true and I agree 100%. We need to prevent the problem before it even happens. Our priorities are all wrong. Anyways, read.

Medicare declares obesity to be a disease, stripping away patient responsibility and power

Medicare has now officially declared obesity to be a disease, opening the floodgates for obesity treatments to be covered by federal and private health insurers. To many overweight patients, it's a welcome change, since they were unable to obtain medical treatment for their obesity unless they also suffered medical complications such as diabetes or heart disease.

But wait a minute. Is obesity really a disease? Malaria is a disease. Diabetes is a disease. Cancer is a disease. But obesity? I argue that it's not a disease at all but rather the natural result of a person making extremely poor decisions about food choice and physical exercise. It's something that can be entirely reversed in virtually 100% of the cases by changing these two simple things. As a result, it rests firmly under the control of the patient, especially if they are educated about healthy nutrition (see related ebook on nutrition) and how to make intelligent choices about what foods and groceries they consume.

To call obesity a disease is a "dumbing down" of the very idea of what a disease is. And unfortunately, it implies that the patient is helpless to do anything about it. This idea is reinforced by language from doctors and health care providers who say things such as, "Oh, you now have obesity," which sounds like you've been afflicted with some sort of external invader that has taken over your health and made you powerless to do anything about it.

When it comes to obesity, however, you have all the power to do something about it. You can change your lifestyle starting right now. Give up all refined carbohydrates and added sugars. Stop drinking soft drinks. Start reading ingredients labels and avoid all foods with hydrogenated oils and other metabolic disruptors. Give up processed foods, junk foods, snack foods and fast foods. Stay away from red meat and cow's milk.

Instead, give yourself optimum nutrition: fresh fruits and vegetables, lots of water, whole grains, and superfoods like chlorella, broccoli, garlic, sprouts, onions and soy products. Do these things and you'll automatically and naturally lose weight. Add in a daily dose of regular exercise and your weight loss will accelerate even further. Get some natural sunlight on your skin on a frequent basis and you'll start losing weight faster still.

In fact, this is the only treatment anybody really needs for obesity: nutrition, diet and physical exercise. And yet, sadly, this is almost never the treatment people will get. Instead, they'll be given an array of highly toxic prescription drugs with dangerous side effects. They'll be offered expensive surgical procedures like gastric bypass surgery that maim you for life. They'll be told that obesity has no cure, and that lifelong treatment with prescription drugs is the only option. (We'll even see fundraising activities like, "The walk to find a cure for obesity" during which you'll see brochures with headlines saying absurd things like, "With more money, we can find a cure for obesity...") These lies will generate billions of dollars in profits for hospitals, surgeons and pharmaceutical companies, and yet they will do little or nothing to actually improve the lives of patients. This new decision by Medicare to classify obesity as a disease will actually reward practitioners of modern medicine for convincing patients to undergo the most radical and expensive treatments possible, such as surgery.

Here in America, our modern medical system is rather insane. Shouldn't we be spending money that teaches people how to eat healthy in the first place rather than paying $50,000 a whack to slice them open and staple their stomachs shut? Shouldn't we ban the use of ingredients like high-fructose corn syrup that we now know are directly linked to obesity and diabetes? Shouldn't the FDA at least require warning labels on all foods made with high-fructose corn syrup?

Shouldn't restaurants be required to place nutritional information on their menus so customers know how fat they're getting from eating those foods? Shouldn't soft drink vending machines be banned from public schools to protect our children from obesity? Shouldn't we be teaching physical education classes in our schools? These and many more questions need to be asked publicly, loudly and persistently. Because right now, when it comes to medicine and public health, our priorities are all backwards: we spend fortunes treating people after they become obese and diseased, but as a nation, we refuse to spend even 1% of that in an effort to prevent these diseases in the first place. And disease prevention is far less expensive than disease treatment.

But once again, the reason this exists is well known: we are a country dominated by pharmaceutical companies. Disease prevention is not in the financial interest of these companies, since a population that isn't diseased doesn't need prescription drugs. As a result, we see the prevention of prevention taking place at the highest levels. Drug companies actually want to keep the population diseased in order to generate more profits, and obesity is just one of many such diseases that promise to enrich these companies for decades to come. The slogan for the pharmaceutical industry should be, "Stay diseased, America. Tens of thousands of jobs are depending on it!

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I have read some peices like the above Nate, and I get pissed when I think of the fact that the only reason obesity is being deemed a "disease" by medicare is so that pharm companies can then sell more Rx drugs for it. What BS. Calling obesity a disease is the farthest thing from helping to "treat" it ;)

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I have read some peices like the above Nate, and I get pissed when I think of the fact that the only reason obesity is being deemed a "disease" by medicare is so that pharm companies can then sell more Rx drugs for it. What BS. Calling obesity a disease is the farthest thing from helping to "treat" it ;)
It's all about the benjamins.

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
...Of couse I had the privilage of watching these two anxiously wait for their food while my buddy watches the hot waittress....:hammer:
She was quite nice:cheers:, wonder if she is working tonight lol.

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
I was referring to kids getting it at a young age. I watched a program a few months back about this subject and this is what the doctors stated.

Sorry I may have seemed somewhat abrasive on that response. Unfortunately for some of those kids becoming diabetic may be thier ownly chance to have decent health later on. Becoming diabetic forces you to learn more about health, nutrition, and physical fitness. You tell a 10 year old that unless he takes care of himself he could go blind or lose his fingers and toes he'll usually listen.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Sorry I may have seemed somewhat abrasive on that response. Unfortunately for some of those kids becoming diabetic may be thier ownly chance to have decent health later on. Becoming diabetic forces you to learn more about health, nutrition, and physical fitness. You tell a 10 year old that unless he takes care of himself he could go blind or lose his fingers and toes he'll usually listen.
I didn't take it as abrasive no worries. Maybe if I was taking some clomid I would of been more sensitive to it. LOL For real though I agree on the diabetic thing. It forces them to watch what they eat and learn about what carbs, fat, and protein are.