Deadlift

dboston

dboston

Awards
I have started doing dead lifts in the past few weeks, but the most muscle I feel working is the back of my thighs?? Am I doing it correctly????

Devildog_

Devildog_

Awards
I have started doing dead lifts in the past few weeks, but the most muscle I feel working is the back of my thighs?? Am I doing it correctly????
A video would help so everyone can help you critique your form. But I would probably say you're not. But then again I need to see how you're doing it

dboston

dboston

Awards
I keep back straight, I feel most of the weight working my legs, maybe that's what it's suppose to do??

dboston

dboston

Awards
What's the best over all workout for your back??

tjbruno

tjbruno

Awards
the deadlift incorporates hamstrings along with your lower back.

the best overall back exercise is whichever one works for you, for me it's bent rows.

xo0ox

xo0ox

Awards
Your are suppose to do deadlift with your legs.
Try to do a 2 combo. Squats 6 reps then rest 45 sec and do 6 reps dead lift. Feel the burn in the legs :-D

MysteriousNom

Awards
Your are suppose to do deadlift with your legs.
Try to do a 2 combo. Squats 6 reps then rest 45 sec and do 6 reps dead lift. Feel the burn in the legs :-D
Do not do this.

Back and legs make up like 70% of all muscle.

You'll be frying your cns 1 day a week and working on the other 30% the other days.

TIP:

When the bar is on the floor, lift your ass as high in the air as possible WHILE keeping your back straight..then pull.

Also do not shrug the bar at all

dboston

dboston

Awards
Ok I will try that, great tip!! Thank you ya I only work on legs one day a week.. The other four is everything else and I like taken weekends off!!

jcmelton

jcmelton

Awards
You will feel some in your thighs, but most should be hitting your hamstrings. If you wanting to hit more focus on your hams and lower back, lighten the weight up some from normal deads and do stiff legged deads. Be careful with the weight, as this movement will def put a strain on your lower back quickly, but I usually get a good burn in my hams too.

Zach0075

Zach0075

Awards
Hey man I have also just started doing deads in the last 5 to 6 six weeks. I was struggling with 185 now I finished with today with 255 on my last set with 8 reps. At first it seemed like all I felt the exercise in was my legs they burned and burned but my legs are weak anyway. But today I barely noticed my legs most of the burn is in my lower back.

I had to give into my pride and I found an experience power lifter in the gym and I ask him what he thinks I should do.

mikespe

mikespe

Awards
I haven't done deadlifts in about 6 years when I hurt my back doing them from bad form. I just started doing them again about 2 months ago and love them. Deads always were my weakest exercise though. My problem was that I sometimes tend to lock my legs out too early which puts too much stress on my lower back. (That's how I got hurt to begin with!) When I'm done & the soreness sets in the next day or so...it's my glutes & lower back that are the most sore (I did deads today & I can feel my glutes already getting sore). I do deadlifts on back day but I only do them every other week just to give my back a break. I do T-bar rows & or barbell rows on the alternate back workouts.

Zach0075

Zach0075

Awards
Hey man I have also just started doing deads in the last 5 to 6 six weeks. I was struggling with 185 now I finished with today with 255 on my last set with 8 reps. At first it seemed like all I felt the exercise in was my legs they burned and burned but my legs are weak anyway. But today I barely noticed my legs most of the burn is in my lower back.

I had to give into my pride and I found an experience power lifter in the gym and I ask him what he thinks I should do.

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
You can go through some YouTube tutorials. Or video what you're doing and post it up here, people will gladly critique it.

EliteFTS put out one called "So you think you can deadlift?" Should at least give you some tips on form and how to turn it into a more complete movement.

asilentj3w

Awards
Deadlifts are a posterior chain exercise. Form is huge on these. Do not get an ego when deadlifting because you won't like the consequences. There are various types you can do to focus on different areas but to answer your question - you should be able to feel your whole posterior chain working on a conventional deadlift