Can We Have A Mature Discussion About Race?

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
What would you do if someone that pays you to train them tells you that they are racist & believe that different races should not mix? The only reason they don't say or do anything about it is because it's frowned upon & people of different races are almost unavoidable because they/we are everywhere... This just happened & is really bugging me... Any real opinions on a matter like this?

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
I would give them their money back and tell them to find another trainer.
Wouldn't that be just as bad? It's basically not training someone based on their beliefs... I've been training her for almost a year also... That's what makes it tricky... She slipped up during conversation & she's not ashamed of it...

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Cant hold someones honesty against them.. unfortunately racism will never die

joeybacs

Awards
Cant hold someones honesty against them.. unfortunately racism will never die
there will always be racism.

If your training session with her is affected, then it is just right to tell her that she should find a different trainer.
Similar to RNs. If we feel like our emotions get in the way of our nursing care, we should tell the nurse manager or other nurses to cover for the client.

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
I know there will always be racism because I've encountered it too many times... More frequently as time passes which is really messed up...
You need to have trust between you & your client... Do I trust her? I don't know... She's a racist with a coloured trainer...

joeybacs

Awards
I know there will always be racism because I've encountered it too many times... More frequently as time passes which is really messed up... You need to have trust between you & your client... Do I trust her? I don't know... She's a racist with a coloured trainer...
It's really up to you. If that's me. Money is my motive. That will make me look pass through racism. Lol. Jk

If it affects your training session with her; if you think you can't give your full potential of training her then I don't think that's fair to her also.

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
It's really up to you. If that's me. Money is my motive. That will make me look pass through racism. Lol. Jk

If it affects your training session with her; if you think you can't give your full potential of training her then I don't think that's fair to her also.
Looking past racism is one thing... When it's right under your nose it's another...

Will it affect how I train people? No, probably not... It will only affect our conversations... Probably won't be as fun for her, but she'll get all the training she needs... I'm not very good at lying about how I feel...

Hopefully she feels bad or stupid eventually & decides to fu¢k off...

Magdalena

Magdalena

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Looking past racism is one thing... When it's right under your nose it's another... Will it affect how I train people? No, probably not... It will only affect our conversations... Probably won't be as fun for her, but she'll get all the training she needs... I'm not very good at lying about how I feel... Hopefully she feels bad or stupid eventually & decides to fu¢k off...
Just b professional. U don't have to lie about how u feel, but u don't have to share your feelings with a client..
It's a job...
I will not give a patient less care because of their personal beliefs. And believe me, geriatric care can b a real challenge ...
I would keep training her, but keep the conversations work related , mostly about training...
:)

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
Wouldn't phase me in the least bit, but then again I'm somewhat racist as well lol.

Now, should you continue with this thread or move on? ;)

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
I will not give a patient less care because of their personal beliefs.
I've been refused proper medical care because of my color... A complaint was made & all that bull$hit, but it still left me without care at the time... I'd obviously have a somewhat different view on this because it does affect me personally...

koi1214

koi1214

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wouldn't that be just as bad? It's basically not training someone based on their beliefs... I've been training her for almost a year also... That's what makes it tricky... She slipped up during conversation & she's not ashamed of it...
Why not tell talk to her and tell her how you feel?

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
Wow!Do you really need her money?If it was me I would tell her to f**K off.
Wow! Is exactly right... She says that's just how her mum raised her... I honestly don't even think she knows exactly what she's saying when she says this $hit... She doesn't realise that what she's actually saying is that we are inferior or below them... I have a very hard time approaching things like this in a calm manner... If I say what I'm thinking, there will be problems...

koi1214

koi1214

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wow! Is exactly right... She says that's just how her mum raised her... I honestly don't even think she knows exactly what she's saying when she says this $hit... She doesn't realise that what she's actually saying is that we are inferior or below them... I have a very hard time approaching things like this in a calm manner... If I say what I'm thinking, there will be problems...
You were the adult and tried communicating with her and that did not work.Got to ask your self is she really worth it and like Mags said be professional.It is not worth it to loose your cool with her.

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
You were the adult and tried communicating with her and that did not work.Got to ask your self is she really worth it and like Mags said be professional.It is not worth it to loose your cool with her.
Do I need the money? No... Now if I tell her I don't want to train her anymore based on what I now know, I will look bad as a trainer when/if she decides to talk $hit to a new trainer... Reputation is important unfortunately... I'm 110% sure she won't tell her next trainer the real reason we ceased our sessions...

Let's be honest here, it's a tricky situation to be in, in a white fu¢kin world...

koi1214

koi1214

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do I need the money? No... Now if I tell her I don't want to train her anymore based on what I now know, I will look bad as a trainer when/if she decides to talk $hit to a new trainer... Reputation is important unfortunately... I'm 110% sure she won't tell her next trainer the real reason we ceased our sessions...

Let's be honest here, it's a tricky situation to be in, in a white fu¢kin world...
Good luck with you decision.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
Stop being racist against your client cause her beliefs are different than yours...srs

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Maybe just avoid any conversations that may lead to her racist beliefs being espoused. If she continues unprompted, then you need to tell her that you're offended. If she doesn't care, then she doesn't respect you and probably won't respect your training either. Then move on. Do you need the $$$ that bad?

Also curious if you are non-white. If so, I can see where her prejudice would be a direct issue!

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What would you do if someone that pays you to train them tells you that they are racist & believe that different races should not mix? The only reason they don't say or do anything about it is because it's frowned upon & people of different races are almost unavoidable because they/we are everywhere... This just happened & is really bugging me... Any real opinions on a matter like this?
I think if you would try to alienate them you would only contribute to their continued ignorance.

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
Maybe just avoid any conversations that may lead to her racist beliefs being espoused. If she continues unprompted, then you need to tell her that you're offended. If she doesn't care, then she doesn't respect you and probably won't respect your training either. Then move on. Do you need the $$$ that bad?

Also curious if you are non-white. If so, I can see where her prejudice would be a direct issue!
I've been training her for 10mths+, so it's safe to assume she respects the training... I don't need the $$$ & even if I did, that honestly wouldn't be a factor... Yes, I am coloured... So yes, it is a direct issue & yes it makes it an extremely tricky situation... I do not need to be referred to as the coloured trainer that refused to train someone because they are white... People talk a lot of $hit when things don't go their way... Obviously she doesn't think before she speaks, so I've really got to tread carefully... As I stated before, I'm sure she won't tell the next trainer the actual reason... The 20yr old me wouldn't have considered all the negative that could come along with whatever decision I make, but at 30yrs old I'm a little more cautious...

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
She has obviously over-generalized your particular race, probably connecting some certain behavior or sub culture to your color exclusively. This is one way that seemingly nice people become cold and harsh towards other races. Same applies to religion, except we call that bigotry.

Since I just recently ( an hour ago) mentioned a few points on this topic in another forum, I thought I'd go ahead and share snippets of it with you...

My Post:

Honestly, have patience for these people, man. I used to be ever so slightly discriminitive with mild overtones of racism in my life. I have changed, but mainly because of my exposure to others not like myself and most importantly, Faith. I'm not throwing my personal beliefs on you, but I want to make one statement about racism that is 110% true:

Racism stems from a child being exposed to (by their parents) the intolerance and hatred of others. Key phrase, by their parents. Sure, there are other things that feed it such as media, bad group of friends, even some laws encourage animosity towards certain races, but all in all, its the parents (or lack thereof) that cause ill-will and intolerance towards those different or seemingly inferior to us.

I say all this because I want you to understand that grace is paramount here as you handle this situation. She is likely a product of her own environment - an environment that she didn't initially choose to live in as a child. This connects the importance of parental responsibility to the issues of racism. It isn't a copout but rather a reality that we grow up thinking and doing what our guardians (or those we look up to) think and do. Have patience and grace with her.

I can't help but think about the scene from the movie "42" about Jackie Robinson, where the kid is sitting next to his father at the baseball field, listening to his father badger the black man with racial slurs, and soon after, even though he didn't necessarily feel it in his heart at first, begins to mimmick his fathers words of racism along with the rest of the crowd. It's a very telling scene of how racism lives on...

--------------------------------------------

Anyways, take a look at a child, they almost never ostracize another race or color or religion or anything. You are welcome in their world until you give them reason to exclude you from their world.

But after the child goes through all of their impressionable phases, the parents, children and community around them, along with media, influence them to take a certain stance on race, moral beliefs, philosophy, etc that can wind up being narcissistic and hateful to others that are different. Me, I want to teach my child to have specific convictions in all things but be willing to love and accept everything/everyone.

The best thing that happened to me for my racial reconciliation was to make solid, meaningful friendships with the "other". In my case, it was black folks.

Memphis is notorious for having willful segregation in the city, mainly because each race believes things about the other that simply isnt true. But you can't figure those things out until you know the other.

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
She has stated that it's how her mother raised her, which is fair enough...
She then stated that she knows it is wrong, but she doesn't plan on changing... That's also fine, as it's her choice...
Why should she have the best of both worlds is my question? Why should I help her reach her goal, when she clearly sees me as being inferior in whatever way? Why don't these people mix with other like minded individuals? This is a very touchy subject because there have been many incidents lately...

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
I think if you would try to alienate them you would only contribute to their continued ignorance.
If I don't, I'm also allowing myself to feel like a but if a pushover... It's one hell of a conundrum...

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If I don't, I'm also allowing myself to feel like a but if a pushover... It's one hell of a conundrum...
But ax1 is right. She must know u to a point that she values her relationship with u. And right now u have one easy scenario where u can bring her value. Show her that she is wrong about ur kind.

When she values u, then she'll open her eyes to the possibility that change is not only possible but necessary.

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think that's her way of flirting with you. See if you can hit that. I can't see any other reason why she'd say that to you and still trust you to not drop heavy weights on her neck when you spot her.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ill add a bit...I would use skillful means to try to reach out to them, be proactive. When I say dont alienate them, I dont mean ignorantly be around them.

Ill say, its easy to think and express a solution here on the internet...truthfully Im unsure how Id react should this really be happening to me.

Whatever you do, I would do it with compassion, not anger. Dont be angry.

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
I think that's her way of flirting with you. See if you can hit that. I can't see any other reason why she'd say that to you and still trust you to not drop heavy weights on her neck when you spot her.
If I ever hit it, it'll only be if her mother will find out...

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
But ax1 is right. She must know u to a point that she values her relationship with u. And right now u have one easy scenario where u can bring her value. Show her that she is wrong about ur kind.

When she values u, then she'll open her eyes to the possibility that change is not only possible but necessary.
Whether someone values me or not, I would only give time & effort to someone that is open to positive change... Everyone else can do what they want away from me...

Here she says she will only act on her beliefs if given a reason...

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
This girl obviously has an unfortunate social view on the generic terms of race. However she does seem to hold you, your opinion and your expertise in a completely different light. If she feels comfortable enough to express her beliefs due to her upbringing there is a familiarity and a level of comfort that you provide her. The fact that she started training with you in the first place shows that she values you and her relationship with you in a completely different way than she was raised. It is only through patience that ignorance can be shed.

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
Ill add a bit...I would use skillful means to try to reach out to them, be proactive. When I say dont alienate them, I dont mean ignorantly be around them.

Ill say, its easy to think and express a solution here on the internet...truthfully Im unsure how Id react should this really be happening to me.

Whatever you do, I would do it with compassion, not anger. Dont be angry.
I get what you're saying... You can see from the messages I have posted between her & myself, that I have been very calm about it... I am venting & trying to talk this out here so I don't alienate her in a very offensive way...

Reactions: ax1
Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Tell her you hate out-of-shape women as much as she hates black people, the only difference being an out-of-shape woman can change what she is. See if she gets that.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Whether someone values me or not, I would only give time & effort to someone that is open to positive change... Everyone else can do what they want away from me...

Here she says she will only act on her beliefs if given a reason...
I dont mean value by way of what u do for her but in friendship. Can she say, "I value that friendship. I know that person well enough that they arent someone I just happen to know as an acquaintance."

People like her only care about those that are close to her, so if u arent close, there is no consequence to her continuing in her racism. Thats what I meant.

I'm not gonna change if I'm not actively participating in relationships with the other race. It needs to become personal because it is!

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
This girl obviously has an unfortunate social view on the generic terms of race. However she does seem to hold you, your opinion and your expertise in a completely different light. If she feels comfortable enough to express her beliefs due to her upbringing there is a familiarity and a level of comfort that you provide her. The fact that she started training with you in the first place shows that she values you and her relationship with you in a completely different way than she was raised. It is only through patience that ignorance can be shed.
I'm sure most, if not all of what you said holds true... Patience I have... Patience with other people's stupidity, not so much... I don't do very when dealing with dumb $hit that I don't believe should have ever happened or exist...

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
I dont mean value by way of what u do for her but in friendship. Can she say, "I value that friendship. I know that person well enough that they arent someone I just happen to know as an acquaintance."

People like her only care about those that are close to her, so if u arent close, there is no consequence to her continuing in her racism. Thats what I meant.

I'm not gonna change if I'm not actively participating in relationships with the other race. It needs to become personal because it is!
I knew exactly what you meant... Both keeping me or losing me in her life could make her change whether she wants to or not...

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You guys are making this way too complicated. I've went back and forth on whether or not to post in this thread due to its controversial topic. Here's the thing, you have taken up this much time of YOUR life based on the views of another person. That's too much time wasted man. You can't tell people how to think no matter how offensive their beliefs are or how strongly you disagree with their beliefs. That's it, there is nothing else. You cannot control other people, period.

The good news is you can control what you do. My first line of advice would be not to be sensitive to it. Rise above, laugh that **** off and don't discuss it with her because you know it's a taboo subject. When it comes down to it it's like discussing politics or religion so don't talk about it. You can't tell someone how to think.

I've had this happen to me first hand. I have gone to Alabama numerous times for Army and Fire training. Some people there won't even look me in the eye or talk to me. I'm very respectful, yes ma'am, no Ma'am, sir this, sir that etc. One night I had a few too many and decided to walk back to my hotel. During my walk I was picked up by local PD and told that it's not safe for me to walk home there due to being a target. I was dumbfounded lol and we had a good laugh at it.

Point being get over it dude. Don't take other people so seriously. The one person you can control is you so quit wasting time on what someone else thinks and get back to you

These opinions are mine alone

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
You guys are making this way too complicated. I've went back and forth on whether or not to post in this thread due to its controversial topic. Here's the thing, you have taken up this much time of YOUR life based on the views of another person. That's too much time wasted man. You can't tell people how to think no matter how offensive their beliefs are or how strongly you disagree with their beliefs. That's it, there is nothing else. You cannot control other people, period.

The good news is you can control what you do. My first line of advice would be not to be sensitive to it. Rise above, laugh that **** off and don't discuss it with her because you know it's a taboo subject. When it comes down to it it's like discussing politics or religion so don't talk about it. You can't tell someone how to think.

I've had this happen to me first hand. I have gone to Alabama numerous times for Army and Fire training. Some people there won't even look me in the eye or talk to me. I'm very respectful, yes ma'am, no Ma'am, sir this, sir that etc. One night I had a few too many and decided to walk back to my hotel. During my walk I was picked up by local PD and told that it's not safe for me to walk home there due to being a target. I was dumbfounded lol and we had a good laugh at it.

Point being get over it dude. Don't take other people so seriously. The one person you can control is you so quit wasting time on what someone else thinks and get back to you

These opinions are mine alone
It is a controversial topic... It's also a very important topic when majority of the population around you, including close friends & aquaintences are Caucasian...

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You're a lot stronger than me. I probably would have already curse her a** out.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Haha and we make the best lovers! :D

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If it affects the performance of your job then you need to make a decision. Like Spaniard said above, you won't change what people believe. How you react to it is totally within your control though.

MysteriousNom

Awards
OP I just have one thing to say..

F*ck her right in the p*ssy

Looseunitwa

Looseunitwa

Awards

You are kidding right? Racism is not right - pure and simple. You trying to find excuses why she racist. That's not your problem but hers.
Racism must be stamped out. Through education and the simple right to exist regardless of colour etc.
Man it's your duty as a human being. Fight the good fight. **** the worst thing in the world is for good people to do nothing in bad situations.
She expressing her power of something that is totally wrong! Very dangerous indeed.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd go ahead and say that along with racism, bigotry, oppression and any type of behavior that tries to tell one individual or group how to live their lives should also be "stamped out". So much of this goes on today and it gets overlooked.

Btw, as long as people are normal (aka selfish), there will always be racism. At the root of all evil is pride - and that especially includes racism.

And I also strongly believe as stated before that no one will stop being racist until individuals from that race become close friends/family to them. It just has to happen before the eyes are open to compassion.