Posting fitness pictures on Facebook.

BJE

BJE

Awards
How do you feel about posting fitness pictures on Facebook? I have posted pictures of me posing shirtless a couple of times on Facebook and the reaction I got for my friends was shock. Not shock in a good way, more like I can't believe you would post something so indecent. Of course my reason for posting such a picture is to say hey I'm 49 years old and I'm still in great shape, what happened to you? Of course I don't actually say that. How do you feel about posting fitness pictures on social media other than forums such as this? Is it tasteless and inappropriate? I want to post this picture as my profile picture to Facebook but I don't know if I dare or should.

Attachments

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
Because all it means is "look at me, I want attention."

C'mon you should know this at your age

BJE

BJE

Awards
Because all it means is "look at me, I want attention." C'mon you should know this at your age
Isn't to get attention the reason why almost everything is posted to Facebook. All I see is look at me I'm in China, look at me I'm at Disneyland, look at me I'm in Paris, look at this great restaurant I'm eating at, look at my cute grandchildren, look at my new car.

tjbruno

tjbruno

Awards
anything shirtless will come across douchey on facebook only IF you're actually in shape. just the way it is.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i don't do it, i did a few pictures for log's on this site back in the day and swore i'd never do it agian...it just seems weird to me, however if i'm at the beach or playing frisbee on a hot day without a shirt on and someone posts the picture, i don't go crazy and flip out

mikeault

Awards
I wouldn't do it. I don't want some creepy old homo Facebook-stalking me the way I Facebook-stalk chicks at the gym.

Lol

mikespe

mikespe

Awards
It kills me that people can post obscene amounts of pictures of their kids or pictures of them with a drink in their hand & a fish face on their lips yet when someone is proud of taking care of their bodies they get crazy!!! I am 47 & I post pics all the time...plus I have a bodybuilding journal that i use to show progress while preparing for a show. This way people can opt in if they want to support me. But what I tell everyone is if you don't like want I post unfriend me or hide my posts from your newsfeed. It's MY wall & I put what I want there. If ya don't like what's on TV ya change the channel!!!! Great job by the way!!!

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
Well I think it's safe to say the boomers lost their sense of humility

So you feel good about yourself. Now ask yourself why do you care to share it on Facebook for everyone to see? So everyone else can feel good for you?
/hashtag attention plz

Now post a shot at the beach with your family and your shirt off. A fun memory is different than a "look at me" pic

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
Isn't to get attention the reason why almost everything is posted to Facebook. All I see is look at me I'm in China, look at me I'm at Disneyland, look at me I'm in Paris, look at this great restaurant I'm eating at, look at my cute grandchildren, look at my new car.
And on this post. Dnt you think those situations are genuinely exciting and new? Of course people are going to want to talk about it

Now take your picture. I'm pretty ****ing sure you see yourself in the mirror every single day. There's nothing new, and people already know you're in good shape. So why would you strut it in their face?

Now think of this for example. If you had a fat picture of you 3 years ago and did a side-by-side so people could see the difference, would the reactions be completely different?

One shows hard work and something shockingly new. The other just says "hey check me out, I'm fuking awsome"

mikespe

mikespe

Awards
Well I think it's safe to say the boomers lost their sense of humility

So you feel good about yourself. Now ask yourself why do you care to share it on Facebook for everyone to see? So everyone else can feel good for you?
/hashtag attention plz

Now post a shot at the beach with your family and your shirt off. A fun memory is different than a "look at me" pic
And it's safe to say the Millennials see the need to control what others do...If it were a hot chick posting her pics you'd be all over it. Why can't a guy do the same? And to be honest, family vacation pics/videos are a joke. I'll pick up a travel brochure if I want to see vacation pics. Why do you feel the need to post pics of your family on vacation? To brag that you have money to GO on vacation? It is STILL a "look at me" pic but instead called a "look at US" pic...

Now let the guy enjoy his moment...

CT3

CT3

Awards
  • Established
People are too sensitive, post whatever you want. If they don't like it they can hide it. I promise I hide or unfriend people when they are constantly posting crap I don't want to see.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
And it's safe to say the Millennials see the need to control what others do...If it were a hot chick posting her pics you'd be all over it. Why can't a guy do the same? And to be honest, family vacation pics/videos are a joke. I'll pick up a travel brochure if I want to see vacation pics. Why do you feel the need to post pics of your family on vacation? To brag that you have money to GO on vacation? It is STILL a "look at me" pic but instead called a "look at US" pic...

Now let the guy enjoy his moment...
Safe to say the boomers taught the millenials how to be that way

/thread

HokiePride

HokiePride

Awards
  • Established
I dont know who this OnionKing character is but post what the hell you feel like. Dammit, if you feel good about yourself then so be it. Facebook is social media, a way to socialize what the hell you feel like talking about. Yeah, if it says look at me, who the f cares. Be proud your not in a got damn hospital bed fighting for your life. If you don't want to see what he has to post, move on. Bodybuilders, power lifters, crossfitters all have pictures shirtless, so why does it matter that you want to. OnionKing must have a social issue with people on AM which is why he has an issue with you and your question. Post what the hell you feel like and be proud.

BJE

BJE

Awards
And on this post. Dnt you think those situations are genuinely exciting and new? Of course people are going to want to talk about it

Now take your picture. I'm pretty ****ing sure you see yourself in the mirror every single day. There's nothing new, and people already know you're in good shape. So why would you strut it in their face?
Many of my Facebook friends have not seen me in person for twenty to thirty years. They haven't a clue as to what I look like if I show no photos of myself.

BJE

BJE

Awards
That was my point. Almost everything I see posted on Facebook is a bunch of boasting about what they have accomplished, where they go on vacation and so forth. The rest of what is see posted is anti-Obama.

BJE

BJE

Awards
People are too sensitive, post whatever you want. If they don't like it they can hide it. I promise I hide or unfriend people when they are constantly posting crap I don't want to see.
So do I. I also unfriend anyone who argues with me on Facebook.

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
I see no harm in it every now and again. I put pictures up after my first comp. I said it was a major life acheivement for me and if anyone wanted to look at the pictures here they were. No harm in that. Secretly everyone is jealous if you are in shape.

JD261985

Banned
Awards
I see no harm in it every now and again. I put pictures up after my first comp. I said it was a major life acheivement for me and if anyone wanted to look at the pictures here they were. No harm in that. Secretly everyone is jealous if you are in shape.
Lol secretly everyone is jealous if you're in shape? Man you have a lot of growing up to do lmao.

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
Lol secretly everyone is jealous if you're in shape? Man you have a lot of growing up to do lmao.
Maybe I do.
But let me clarify. If they hate on you for it, i've always found people are a little jealous. Some people wont care, but I cant see why they would take the time to put you down for it if they were not somwhat jelous.

JD261985

Banned
Awards
Maybe I do. But let me clarify. If they hate on you for it, i've always found people are a little jealous. Some people wont care, but I cant see why they would take the time to put you down for it if they were not somwhat jelous.
Or it could just be the fact that you come off as bragging. Nobody likes people who brag about anything. It makes you look like a douchebag. I could sit here and talk about how I'm sitting on a 7 figure bank account at 28 years old. Now if you work some shyt job like McDonalds I look like a real piece of shyt don't I? Edit: let me add one thing. People respect the ability for a person to be modest and humble. Bragging, being flashy, showing off is essentially a form of aggression. Children, adolescents and adults all do this but by the time you're an adult (if you've been raised good and developed correctly) you should no longer be seeking this outside need for approval. If you are I would recommend therapy. It could help. Also something worth mentioning is that the typical gym goer is not using drugs/supplements to get in shape

Swolljaboi

Awards
Honestly, how can you bust your ass day after day in the gym and not want to show it off a bit every once in a while? If you painted a wonderful picture or built a statue would it be inappropriate to post it on facebook? Would it be bragging showing everyone you can draw better than them? If you work hard for something take some pride in it and screw the haters. Just don't be posting nudes every single day. That's just narcissistic.

Reactions: BJE
mikespe

mikespe

Awards
Or it could just be the fact that you come off as bragging. Nobody likes people who brag about anything. It makes you look like a douchebag. I could sit here and talk about how I'm sitting on a 7 figure bank account at 28 years old. Now if you work some shyt job like McDonalds I look like a real piece of shyt don't I? Edit: let me add one thing. People respect the ability for a person to be modest and humble. Bragging, being flashy, showing off is essentially a form of aggression. Children, adolescents and adults all do this but by the time you're an adult (if you've been raised good and developed correctly) you should no longer be seeking this outside need for approval. If you are I would recommend therapy. It could help. Also something worth mentioning is that the typical gym goer is not using drugs/supplements to get in shape
Show your research proving your STATEMENT. It is nothing more than simple vanity...which is harmless. Nothing wrong with a little bragging as long as it doesn't become obsessive...it's human nature to be proud of your accomplishments...

mikeault

Awards
What's concerning is the fact that a thread referencing "selfies" on Facebook has become a heated debate among adults.

Wtf

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Mikespe, post up your pics to Facebook with pride! Most people our age need to see that physical fitness is not only possible but important to long and pain free life. I'm 53 and want my friends and family to see that you can put down the freakin donut, get off the couch, stop using genetics as an excuse and get healthy!

BJE

BJE

Awards
The last time I posted such a picture I had been trying to get into my best shape ever by my 49th birthday. I posted the picture and explained it showed the results of my efforts.

BJE

BJE

Awards

Well, it's certainly no secret that nobody is jealous of someone for being fat and out of shape. I've had people come up to me at the gym and ask me how I work out and what I eat because they want to get into shape like me. I doubt many fat people get asked for advice on how to look like them. However when the fat people get fit they will have a lot of envious people asking them how they did it.

I suppose that posting fit pictures of yourself is somewhat like bragging about your wealth. Others are envious of both. However on Facebook people don't brag about their wealth by showing a picture of their bank balance, they do it by posting pictures of their vacations, homes, cars, etc.

I recently posted this as my Facebook profile picture and have gotten a lot of "likes". Had it been the photo I showed at the beginning of this thread I think very few would have responded positively. People just seem to freak out over seeing skin.

image-4024246324.jpg

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Gotta say that OnionKnight pretty much summed up everything I would have posted. The only thing that I am sure people would get your friends more up in arms is if you posted your WOD numbers, which is about the single most annoying thing a person can do.

You are going to be 50 and you are proud of the shape you are in, that is awesome. But you are posting your accomplishment for the same people that are giving you are hard time now, so did it work out? Use that as a gauge.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I recently posted this as my Facebook profile picture and have gotten a lot of "likes". Had it been the photo I showed at the beginning of this thread I think very few would have responded positively. People just seem to freak out over seeing skin.

View attachment 101323
No, it is because that is a picture that people you are connected with want to associate you with. They aren't freaking out over seeing skin, they are freaking out at seeing your skin because that is not what they care about.

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards

But hypocritical isn't it? Recommending therapy for someone and saying they need to grow up for posting pics on Facebook for their own personal reasons that neither affect you in a positive or negative way... (Attacking someone is also considered aggressive)

Sounds like you could use a bit more maturity yourself...

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
OP are you doing harm to anyone?? Does it make you happy?

If you're not hurting anyone and it makes you feel good then fuk what everyone else thinks on here or wherever.

Live your life by YOUR rules. (Hopefully with common sense and respect for your fellow man)

HokiePride

HokiePride

Awards
  • Established
Why is still a thread, do what the f you want to do and screw the opinions of everyone else.

BJE

BJE

Awards
One thing I'll add is that I subscribe to some Facebook fitness pags where people post progress pictures and workout videos. I would like to be able to post to these pages but it's hard to post anything on Facebook without all your friends seeing. I belong to a couple of Corvette groupes on Facebook where I have posted a bunch of photos of my Corvettes. I thought these were private groups, but I learned that my friends see everything I post there. So it could be thought by my friends that I'm showing off my cars, when in fact I was just showing them to a bunch of like minded people who post pictures of theirs too.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
There's a couple people who post shirtless pics on my friends list and they sort of come off as having no depth. On the other hand, another buddy of mine is totally jacked, but he posts pic that don't seem intentional (pool, beach, costume pics) and because it doesn't scream look at my body, it seems harmless. Set up your camera to shoot on its own and pretend like someone else took it. Ask someone you trust to post it on your page. lol. Or just post it and move on with your life. Worrying about what people can see or can't see is a waste of time. If you're that worried then adjust your settings so certain people don't see what you post.

EWolfe08

EWolfe08

Awards
LOL. you should see my FB feed. It's about 90% shirtless selfies, of dudes. ha. Shirtless pics are pretty much the norm if you're into fitness and social media inclined.

MysteriousNom

Awards
OP.

The KEY is to post the picture above, but be DOING SOMETHING and look natural.

Go to the park...a pool, etc and have someone take a picture of you looking NATURAL. then put in the caption 'enjoying the pool'

Bengal

Bengal

Awards
Your too skinny,too old. You look like a creaper, or like your trolling for d I c k. Sorry not trying to be an *******. Just telling you how it is.

mikespe

mikespe

Awards
Your too skinny,too old. You look like a creaper, or like your trolling for d I c k. Sorry not trying to be an *******. Just telling you how it is.
So did the picture police put an age limit on posting selfies? And your response makes you an ******* ...Just telling YOU how it is...

JD261985

Banned
Awards
I'm gonna say it. Other forums are starting to call anabolic minds a joke. Another BB.com. Lame ass threads like this need to ****ing stop. We aren't children

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm gonna say it. Other forums are starting to call anabolic minds a joke. Another BB.com. Lame ass threads like this need to ****ing stop. We aren't children
I get your point, but the reason we are here is because none of us want to be associated with those forums that have long been a joke.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
My fat trucker friend is always posting pics of his 9 o clock truck stop suppers lol

HokiePride

HokiePride

Awards
  • Established
My fat trucker friend is always posting pics of his 9 o clock truck stop suppers lol
Lol, somehow that's ok, with everyone but don't show a progress pic.