I hate lawyers. Someone suing the Tough Mudder org?

Rob94hawk

Rob94hawk

Awards
  • First Up Vote
http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=23...ent-1373751996

Since I've run the Tough Mudder already and will be this year I was going to respond. But someone pretty much already commented on what I was going to say. But then it looks like some scumbag lawyer responded to the first post.

The lawyers BS comment of "blame the victim" is typical jargon these people like to use. I'm so pissed right now I can't even come up with the right words to respond other than a variety of 4 letter words. But I'm going to calm down and then respond later.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me but you can't go into an event like that with ignorance of the risks. But I'm sure even with a waiver I'm sure some scumbag lawyer will exploit a 'loophole.'

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
I feel like a lot of details are missing from this, including the cause of death. I agree, if you are signing a waiver to do this event then you need to understand the potential risks. A lot of people get hurt doing these contests all the time, it is just the nature of the event.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've done two of them, including the 24 hour run and I am surprised someone hasn't died already. I won't be doing anymore of them because I saw the quality going downhill, way too many people involved, and lack of support at obstacles for some. Regardless of a waiver, there is still a level of liability.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
I've done two of them, including the 24 hour run and I am surprised someone hasn't died already. I won't be doing anymore of them because I saw the quality going downhill, way too many people involved, and lack of support at obstacles for some. Regardless of a waiver, there is still a level of liability.
My brother runs the NYC marathon every year and there are spots where if one person falls they may very well get trampled. People make choices to participate in these events and need to understand in a huge crowd like that, you are invisible.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Oh, I am not defending anyone in this case because I agree that there are parts we don't know. I am saying that there is liability all around and signing a little piece of paper is not going to stop a lawsuit.

I see what is happening and guess what, I made the choice to not participate anymore.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
Again I'm sure there are situations where the organization potentially made it more dangerous by not setting enough people to assist, not setting proper barricades or signaling a course direction. But honestly trying to pick people out of a crowd can be extremely difficult.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
Oh, I am not defending anyone in this case because I agree that there are parts we don't know. I am saying that there is liability all around and signing a little piece of paper is not going to stop a lawsuit.

I see what is happening and guess what, I made the choice to not participate anymore.
Just curious which one did you run? I was actually thinking about doing it but if the organization is slacking maybe I'll reconsider.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I did them both here in Beaver Creek and for the one in 2011, qualified for the championship run. The one in 2012 was a **** show and very dangerous with just choas at the obstacles because of so many people. There are waves of 500, but then they back up and that is where it can get hairy. I personally pulled 2 people out of water because they got stuck under the 55gal barrels and got kicked in the head 3-4 times in the process. There is a comradery that occurs because of this, so there is that.

If you haven't done one, they are fun and I wouldn't say not to. Just know what you are getting into and stay on the outside so you aren't caught in the mass in the middle. Plus, all the slow people stay inside because it feels safer.

Rob94hawk

Rob94hawk

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I've seen documentaries on the 24 hr ultimate TM. Intense. Especially in the cold. With working nights it's tough to train for the regular TM as it is.BTW, that lawyer that posted just got his ass handed to him! Love it!

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
Its sad that someone young died, but this is like running with the bulls and trying to sue the bull, these events are known to be torturous and dangerous, if you put yourself into that situation, or any situation where you might get hurt or die, how can you then after the fact act like it wasn't your choice to take the risk.

While Im ranting, this reminds of the idiot hikers, mountain climbers and skiers that ignore warnings or dont properly prepare and get stuck or lost, the cost to rescue them is enormous, and in some states the agencies that have to rescue them have started to charge them for the cost instead of making tax payers pay the bill for stupidity.

Its a shame, in this great country of ours, that there is such an overwhelming sense of entitlement, and a nearly total lack of any accountability for ones own actions anymore.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, if that is accurate, there is going to be money getting paid. That sounds like chaos that was made worse by the "rescue" team.

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
That article certainly puts a different spin on things, but the ineptness and incompetence of the "rescue" team and the "lifeguards" should be, imo, the focus of any lawsuits, not the competition itself, as I stated in my previous post.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Theres three usless jobs in america: 1. government employees, 2. lawyers, and 3. doctors- Ron Swanson

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Everybody hates lawyers til they need one.