Need DOC's Advice

jeep69

Awards
Are tthere any docs on this board??
I have tingling in part of my left hand that lasts everyday-day to day.
It jsut feels like it is asleep and I cant wake it up, it happens on my pinky finger and the finger next to it.
the thing is my thumb and index finger and that half of my hand are OK, The other half feels like it is asleep and just wont wake up!
I have not injured myself at all and I am 21, WHAT IS GOIN ON>>>??

Stingray

Awards
First I AM NO DOCTOR, now that that is out of the way. It sounds like carpel tunnel syndrom. Just my 2C's

SR

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
I am no doctor but you are to young to mess with your body!!!! get it checked out, the sooner the better....:)

grape ape

Awards
I get the same tjhing in my hands and arms also and have had no injuries. mine began in my early 20's also. BY the way, are you a big jeep fan?

jeep69

Awards
yea, Its wierd becuase it is only in half of one hand, that is just strange, I dont have insurance so I am gonna have to find something to do, anything that involves nerves I fear they are going to do a barage of tests and I dont have a grand to drop at the docs office right now, this sucks ass!
Hell yea I am a jeep fan!!

Stingray

Awards
A wrist brace my help. A buddy of mine had the same thing. Do to computer work he developed carpel tunnel. He use to wear a wrist brace and it helped a little. Only other solution for carpel tunnel is surgery and even then its a 50/50 shot (at least thats the info I got from him)

SR

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
its a compressed ulnar nerve
Physical therapy may help, also sleeping on your back or with your arms straight out will help. Go easy on the tricep extensions if you do em. Its nothing too serious but you should get it checked out, they may run some continuity tests across the nerve points which isnt too comfortable but it will narrow down where the compression is at.

Good Luck

jeep69

Awards
Iron Viking, is there anything I can do to help it without going to the Doc, anything to uncompress it? Will it go away with time?
1. I Hate giong to the doctor.
2. I have no medical insurance and I dont have the cash.
How do they do those tests along the nerve points, do they run em down your back or your hand?? What do you mean unconfortable- are they like a spinal tap or something?

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Iron Viking, is there anything I can do to help it without going to the Doc, anything to uncompress it? Will it go away with time?
How do they do those tests along the nerve points, do they run em down your back or your hand??
The viking is right about the nerve damage. I had a similar problem in my thumb and fore fingers. Believe it or not, the problem was in my shoulder. If you can pinpoint the cause, then you can probably correct it with stretching and exercises. It will take time though. "If" the problem is in your wrist, you can try wrist curls or gripping exercises. Good luck.

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
Ok i am totally going to hijack this thread for a min....LOL what kind of jeep and what color ??? :)

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
How do they do those tests along the nerve points, do they run em down your back or your hand?? What do you mean unconfortable- are they like a spinal tap or something?
It is most commonly compressed along the elbow joint, if this is the case then
1. When you sleep keep your arms straight.
2. Minimize or completely eliminate all exercises that cause you to fully flex or extend the elbow joint while using the tricep i.e. french presses, skull crushers, tricep extension. You may just want to stop all direct training of the triceps
3. Stretch the arms every day, start with the deltoid and with the fingers. Look up some stretching exercises for these and do them religiously.
4. Take motrin or naproxen, yea yea I know about the inhibiting protein synthesis thing but this wont be forever and if there is any inflamation causing your problem this will take care of it.
5. Whenever you sit down do not rest your arms on an arm rest or desk or table. That will cause undue pressure on the nerves in your arms.

What you probably have is Cubital Tunnel Syndrome, you can find tons of stuff on the internet about it.
The tests they run is called an EMG, electromyogram, its not too painful but it feels like electric shocks running across the nerves because that is basically what it is. If you have it done they will test from the base of your neck down to your fingers.
If you cant afford it right now then take the steps listed above and see if that helps. You may be sleeping on the nerve wrong or resting your arms on an armrest for too long or even keeping your elbow flexed while talking on the phone can cause some of the symptoms your having.

Good Luck

jeep69

Awards
thanks for the info guys, I went and trained deadlifts tonight and there was no loss of grip strength so that is good, I have an old training partner that is a chiropracter now and by coincidence he is going to be in town next week so I am sure we will get it straightened out.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
The viking is right about the nerve damage. I had a similar problem in my thumb and fore fingers. Believe it or not, the problem was in my shoulder. If you can pinpoint the cause, then you can probably correct it with stretching and exercises. It will take time though. "If" the problem is in your wrist, you can try wrist curls or gripping exercises. Good luck.
Im with lean one on this...I had the exact same thing happen to me my pinky and ring finger on my left hand tingled and felt numb for almost a month straight. It was due to shoulder impingement and I cured it up with a lot of stretching, ice, and rotator cuff strengthening excercises.

BV

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
It facinates me how the nervous system works.All the nerves that inervate the arm hand and fingers pass beneath the clavicle and straight through the shoulder. So a peoblem in the shoulder can manifest symptoms from there all the way to the fingertips. Similarly, a problem in the spine can affect any bodypart that is inervated by the nerves that exit that vertibra. Amazing...

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
It could be the piece of furniture you are reclined in when it happens.

jeep69

Awards
yea I am just hopin I can take care of this without surgery.
Big V, how often did you ice your shoulder, for how long each time?

How often did you streach?

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I would ice it in the morning for , immediately after training, and before bed for 15 min each time.

I would stretch my shoulders out at least 3 times a day as well...

TheUsual

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
EXACT same thing was happening to me for a while, really freaked me out. Turns out it was just a compressed ulnar nerve, like the guys above mentioned. It passed when I started going easy on weights for a while. Just take it easy on triceps days, like they mentioned.

I wish I had been a member of this board when that happened to me a few years ago... it's amazing the great advice you can get from this board.

jeep69

Awards
Usual, I feel you brotha- I am getting really freaked out now as well- with all the physical **** I do theres no way I can handle a hand surgery like I have been reading about
Would you all reccomend going easy on just the Tri Extensions or all of my excercises?
I usually do
3 board press for 3 reps =1max set
Dips= Heavy for 10 reps
Tri Extensions for 2 sets of 8 heavy.
Is it just the Tri Extension movement that causes this compression or is it the CG Board Presses and Dips as well.

I am finally starting to find the right way to workout for my body and I have been progressing and WHAM- This **** happens.
It seems whenever I get going in the right road to progress something ALWAYS knocks me on my Fucking ASS!
I am PISSED!