The movie "42"

MultiVitamin

MultiVitamin

Awards
Alright firstly, sorry if this is the wrong spot..

I just watched 42 for the first time (I know, I'm late lol), and when the Dodgers go to play in Cincinnati (I believe), Pee Wee Reese puts his arm around Jackie and says "maybe someday we'll all wear 42 so they can't tell us apart", or something of that extent...

And I was curious if anyone knows if there's any truth to this? Been looking and can't really find an answer..

av6258

av6258

Awards
Alright firstly, sorry if this is the wrong spot..

I just watched 42 for the first time (I know, I'm late lol), and when the Dodgers go to play in Cincinnati (I believe), Pee Wee Reese puts his arm around Jackie and says "maybe someday we'll all wear 42 so they can't tell us apart", or something of that extent...

And I was curious if anyone knows if there's any truth to this? Been looking and can't really find an answer..
Once a year in the MLB all the players where 42 on the same day.

42 is retired by every club. Some guys were grandfathered in. I believe Mo was the last guy rocking 42 so we will never see it again except on Jackie Robinson Day

MultiVitamin

MultiVitamin

Awards
Once a year in the MLB all the players where 42 on the same day.

42 is retired by every club. Some guys were grandfathered in. I believe Mo was the last guy rocking 42 so we will never see it again except on Jackie Robinson Day
I know I was just wondering if PWR had something to do with that

Warthog13

Awards
I'm a baseball geek and have done a lot of reading on Jackie and the Negro Leagues and I have never heard that before the movie.

I'm pretty sure the first number retired in baseball was Lou Gehrig in 1939. That was only 8 years before Jackie played his first big league game so retired numbers were not as common then as they are now.

Plus, I would think that everybody wearing the same uniform number would be pretty inconceivable to players at that time.

So, if I were a betting man, I'd bet that line was Hollywood screenwriting magic and not based in reality at all.

It's a great line, though.