How do I go about becoming certified as a personal trainer

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
The only job I can think of doing as a career, without getting bored involves something to do with fitness. I am in college and they offer a certification. I need to check again about the actual title of the certification. I am taking a nutrition class and the instructor is one of those people that praises the government standard diet and the BMI scale. Even after I pass this class, I am required to take five other classes. I was wondering how expensive it is to get certified outside of college and how easy it is. Honestly if it isn't that expensive and it is faster and easier than getting certified through college, I rather go that route.

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
I would think getting an actual degree would be best, but I remember one of them just required a test after reading a book. Is the degree exercise science?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I would think getting an actual degree would be best, but I remember one of them just required a test after reading a book. Is the degree exercise science?
No, it is just a Bachelor Degree in general education. The nutrition class is actually not part of that degree, but is part of a certification program.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
NASM
NSCA
ASCM

pick one, pay the fee, read the book, pass the test. You could be a trainer in a month if you go quick. Or a day if you pick ACE.

But be ready to be a professional bull****ter, babysitter, and hardcore salesman. Most clients now days want to lose weight making them naturally attracted to the skinny trainers. And you're gonna have to find your own clients and convince them to fork up $100/week so you can get a whopping 20-30% commission

And you're gonna have to recert every 2-3 years and pay. For expensive continuing education hours.

Personal training isn't a career unless you open your own business. Otherwise its a glorified salesman position with bull**** pay

tjbruno

tjbruno

Awards
I've been goin at it since the end of last summer, it's been tough man. I imagine once you get your foot in the door and get established it will ease up. I went ahead and got NASM CPT. I would either stick with NASM or NSCA. Each one the test will be about 500 I think. I took the NASM online class which was 750 I think and I just do monthly payments of like 60 or something...

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
I guess I should of added that I've also been NASM certified for almost 2 years. Am I gonna recertify? Probly not because I want to leave the industry all together. It turned my personal passion into a competition between trainers on who could get the next client that walks through the door. It's not even about training anymore

For example. How many trainers squat at my gym? How many can teach a person to squat? How many clients want to squat anymore because the majority of trainers talk bad about it? Answer to all 3 is a big fat whopping zero

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
I guess I should of added that I've also been NASM certified for almost 2 years. Am I gonna recertify? Probly not because I want to leave the industry all together. It turned my personal passion into a competition between trainers on who could get the next client that walks through the door. It's not even about training anymore

For example. How many trainers squat at my gym? How many can teach a person to squat? How many clients want to squat anymore because the majority of trainers talk bad about it? Answer to all 3 is a big fat whopping zero
Being a Personal Trainer in the U.S. sounds like it sucks... Over here we pay a weekly rent to whichever gym we're working in, & the rest goes to us... My particular gym gives us leads... I get to focus on training the clients... I'd hate to have to sell the sessions to them... My most successful & favorite clients are the one's that came in because they wanted to, not because someone convinced them to...

I don't agree with online courses... I worked with a person who did an online course, wasn't very good at the job & left...

Also for the record, I squat, can teach a squat & have every client squat, except 2 of them due to injury... Cool fact, someone actually referred to the squat rack as, "your squat rack" when we were having a chat recently... No doubt I was very happy with that... Haha!

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Most trainers in general over here are freakn jokes who know absolutely nothing about personal training.... how do you take a guy seriously thats over 20% bf or 100lbs soaking wet?

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
Most trainers in general over here are freakn jokes who know absolutely nothing about personal training.... how do you take a guy seriously thats over 20% bf or 100lbs soaking wet?
Have you got a lot of the ones that look good, therefore assume they know everything about fitness & what works for them must work for everybody?

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Have you got a lot of the ones that look good, therefore assume they know everything about fitness & what works for them must work for everybody?
A select few are attractive and snobby... the ones at my gym look as though they've never worked out a day in their life

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
Being a Personal Trainer in the U.S. sounds like it sucks... Over here we pay a weekly rent to whichever gym we're working in, & the rest goes to us... My particular gym gives us leads... I get to focus on training the clients... I'd hate to have to sell the sessions to them... My most successful & favorite clients are the one's that came in because they wanted to, not because someone convinced them to...

I don't agree with online courses... I worked with a person who did an online course, wasn't very good at the job & left...

Also for the record, I squat, can teach a squat & have every client squat, except 2 of them due to injury... Cool fact, someone actually referred to the squat rack as, "your squat rack" when we were having a chat recently... No doubt I was very happy with that... Haha!
Some gyms out here do that. But the US is all about me me me right now. So it makes more sense to rape the trainers doing all the work instead of just letting them do their thing and charging rent for using the equipment. That's how the system should be

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Some gyms out here do that. But the US is all about me me me right now. So it makes more sense to rape the trainers doing all the work instead of just letting them do their thing and charging rent for using the equipment. That's how the system should be
Its all commission at these gyms....

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
A select few are attractive and snobby... the ones at my gym look as though they've never worked out a day in their life
Most gym owners here won't let you work in their gym if you don't look somewhat like a trainer...

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
Are so many people over there oblivious to the fact that being a trainer isn't that great? Who's bull$hitting them & saying otherwise?

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are so many people over there oblivious to the fact that being a trainer isn't that great? Who's bull$hitting them & saying otherwise?
Everyone calm down.....

I know trainers who pull $60k+/year

Other average joes make about 20-30k/yr....more than a lot of other part time jobs pay

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cool thread :)

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
Everyone calm down.....

I know trainers who pull $60k+/year

Other average joes make about 20-30k/yr....more than a lot of other part time jobs pay
What I meant is, do they know that they have to do more than just train people? As in, be a salesperson, a councillor, etc... Over here they basically say that if you're into fitness, you can be a trainer... If you don't know how to deal with people, you'll probably fail... I've seen it happen... The ones that make money on the other hand are great sales people, as well as being very knowledgeable...

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
What I meant is, do they know that they have to do more than just train people? As in, be a salesperson, a councillor, etc... Over here they basically say that if you're into fitness, you can be a trainer... If you don't know how to deal with people, you'll probably fail... I've seen it happen... The ones that make money on the other hand are great sales people, as well as being very knowledgeable...
Salesman.... bottom line, when youre commission based youre not exactly concerned about the customer