Do you workout with your spouse?

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Just out of curiosity, does anyone in here use their wife/girlfriend/spouse/significant other as a workout partner? I workout alone currently and my wife has been really wanting to start training with me. She used to train a lot in jumps and etc in gymnastics when she was a high school/college cheerleader, but at 5'2" 118lbs I doubt she would be able to spot me on heavy squat sessions with 450-500lbs or heavy bench sessions with 350-400lbs. I guess having her there spotting me is better than nobody after-all, so does anyone in here train with their spouse? How does it go?

keithgeiling

keithgeiling

Awards
  • Established
I workout with my wife but I'm doing half the weights you are so the spotting aspect doesn't come into play like it would for you. When my wife works out with me, she gets a hell of a tougher workout because I push her with extra weight, supersets, drop sets and you name it. If you could get some satisfaction from taking her to a new level in the gym, then it can be cool. But physically, there might not be any benefit unless she wants to go Jillian on you!!!

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i've worked out with my ex gfs before...none of them were that serious about training so it was kind of like whatever, if they wanted to train then i had no problems with them working with me but they never lasted very long

however when i had my gym accident my ex gf was working with me that day....she made me go to the hospital, her not being there i probably wouldn't have gone, leaving me with a hole in my forehead

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I train with my wife a lot of the time. She is quite intense. As far as spotting, not sure what kind of spot you need that she couldn't do. I mean is she a good option for forced reps, no probably not. However should she be able to help you with a few lbs of aid on that last rep where you start grinding. Bottom line unless doing forced reps any person capable of lifting 30-50 lbs should be able to give you a decent spot. You just have to be aware of your own limits and not go to that rep where you just completely fail and can't lift any of the weight off of yourself. Also on squats that is what the safety is for. Same with the low j hooks on the bench if you can't get it up to lockout she should be able to get it safely to the lower j hooks. Still definitely safer than lifting alone.

On top of that communicate with her before your set how you want to be spotted. IE with my wife because of the strength disparity I have her watch when I start grinding and if the weight begins to go back down at all she pulls it back to safety but so long as it is moving forward no matter how slow she just gets ready to help. There are no forced reps or her trying to help me grind through a rep because then if i fail completely she can not pick up the weight. I need to be able to help her so we know where the point of no return is where for safety sake she needs to help me re-rack it.

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I used to train with my wife prior to her having our daughter. It was actually a great time and we connected very well. She would tell me what she thought were weak points or if i was looking full or flat. We havnt been able to train togethor in over a yesr though, hoping it changes soon though as it was nice.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I used to train with my wife prior to her having our daughter. It was actually a great time and we connected very well. She would tell me what she thought were weak points or if i was looking full or flat. We havnt been able to train togethor in over a yesr though, hoping it changes soon though as it was nice.
It is really quality time like no other once you get your groove. A lot of time the wife and I just point, grunt and signal to each other, with an occasional pat on the ass or kiss.

G

gokix811

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It is really quality time like no other once you get your groove. A lot of time the wife and I just point, grunt and signal to each other, with an occasional pat on the ass or kiss.
And here I thought this only happened in fairy tales. How adorable :)

J

JD261985

Banned
Awards
No it's annoying as all hell to want to use equipment and a boyfriend/gf wife/husband are sitting there being all lovey dovey. The gym is not the place for that nonsense. I feel like people do it because they want others to see their PDA. It's just another form of attention seeking. Swear I just got back from the gym and witnessed 8 couples doing this. After awhile I just started to laugh because of how ****ing ridiculous that shyt is

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I train with my wife all the time, I've even gotten her to start competing now. (PLing).

At 5'5" 115 she obviously can't lift what I can, but she does alright spotting me most of the time.

Dulce

Dulce

Awards
No it's annoying as all hell to want to use equipment and a boyfriend/gf wife/husband are sitting there being all lovey dovey. The gym is not the place for that nonsense.
I agree however a sig. other is a great gym buddy/motivator!

I train with my spouse! I'm small but I am able to help him with his lift offs. I am sure if he was seriously in trouble, I could not save him:dunno: however, my lift offs and spotting does help. I love having him there to spot me as well so that I can lift as heavy as possible without fear of dying.

We spend a lot of time working and being away from each other. Going to the gym is a great way to spend time together considering we are there at least 4-5 hours a wk. It's fun watching each other reach our individual goals and pushing each other to get that "last rep/push" in. Also, its nice to know that your sig. other is in good shape too ;)

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
I did for awhile. But then she turned into a fat bich that always hurried me out within 30-45 minutes. Now she doesn't train at all

Dulce

Dulce

Awards
I did for awhile. But then she turned into a fat bich that always hurried me out within 30-45 minutes. Now she doesn't train at all
lolz that's sweet. o_O

J

JD261985

Banned
Awards
I agree however a sig. other is a great gym buddy/motivator! I train with my spouse! I'm small but I am able to help him with his lift offs. I am sure if he was seriously in trouble, I could not save him:dunno: however, my lift offs and spotting does help. I love having him there to spot me as well so that I can lift as heavy as possible without fear of dying. We spend a lot of time working and being away from each other. Going to the gym is a great way to spend time together considering we are there at least 4-5 hours a wk. It's fun watching each other reach our individual goals and pushing each other to get that "last rep/push" in. Also, its nice to know that your sig. other is in good shape too ;)
Oh it doesn't bother me if people are being serious. However, kissing, ass grabbing all that other crap just doesn't belong in a gym

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh it doesn't bother me if people are being serious. However, kissing, ass grabbing all that other crap just doesn't belong in a gym
I live with my girlfriend yet we drive to the gym separate since she does cardio at the end.
I smack her ass before I leave sometimes to show all the idiots that the thing they don't think I've caught them staring at for the past hour is mine.
That's as far as I'll go with PDA though.

Other than that I just check in on her time to time to make sure she's not slacking.

J

J55TTC

Awards
I train with my wife in my garage. Best sessions ever!

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
I train with the girlfriend. She's about 5'1 112 lbs. so it gets a bit annoying to raise the hooks on the powercage but it's actually pretty great having her there. She's a state record holder in powerlifting so she's definitely serious. Strong as hell but I still don't really let her spot me.

If she was half-assing it, it definitely wouldn't work.

C

chunsababy83

Awards
I used to work out with my boyfriend. Nowadays our schedules don't match up but it was great working with him when I have the chance. Going with your partner gives you a chance to find you exercise, and also keeps you motivated because you have a steady workout partner.

C

chunsababy83

Awards
Of course she may not necessarily be able to spot you, but at the same time she's there for support. Enjoy it.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
And here I thought this only happened in fairy tales. How adorable :)
LOL!
No it's annoying as all hell to want to use equipment and a boyfriend/gf wife/husband are sitting there being all lovey dovey. The gym is not the place for that nonsense. I feel like people do it because they want others to see their PDA. It's just another form of attention seeking. Swear I just got back from the gym and witnessed 8 couples doing this. After awhile I just started to laugh because of how ****ing ridiculous that shyt is
Not sure what you are experiencing here my man. The gym is perfectly fine for a quick smooch or a pat on the hip/butt while working out. If you have a problem with that you should be concentrating on your workout like we are on our workout instead of worrying about others. Now people making out or any of that nonsense I agree with there is no place for that but showing affection or flirting with your spouse, well there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Holding up a machine or something is one thing but that is bad gym etiquette no matter what.
My wife and I work out harder than most anyone in our gym. If I want to kiss her on the cheek or pat her bottom between a set I will. There is nothing wrong with this at all, and it has nothing to do with wanting anyone's attention but hers...

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
I don't train in a gym. I train alone in my garage, but I still don't see a problem in couples going to the gym training together. With all of the horn dogs in gyms trying to show off and harass every woman that walks through the door, I don't blame any guy for wanting to be there training with his girlfriend or wife.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
I train with my wife a lot of the time. She is quite intense. As far as spotting, not sure what kind of spot you need that she couldn't do. I mean is she a good option for forced reps, no probably not. However should she be able to help you with a few lbs of aid on that last rep where you start grinding. Bottom line unless doing forced reps any person capable of lifting 30-50 lbs should be able to give you a decent spot. You just have to be aware of your own limits and not go to that rep where you just completely fail and can't lift any of the weight off of yourself. Also on squats that is what the safety is for. Same with the low j hooks on the bench if you can't get it up to lockout she should be able to get it safely to the lower j hooks. Still definitely safer than lifting alone.

On top of that communicate with her before your set how you want to be spotted. IE with my wife because of the strength disparity I have her watch when I start grinding and if the weight begins to go back down at all she pulls it back to safety but so long as it is moving forward no matter how slow she just gets ready to help. There are no forced reps or her trying to help me grind through a rep because then if i fail completely she can not pick up the weight. I need to be able to help her so we know where the point of no return is where for safety sake she needs to help me re-rack it.
I suppose you're right. Even if she can't pull 405lbs off of me in a heavy benching session, she could at least take a little bit of the load 50-60lbs off and make it not nearly as hard to complete the lift. I don't use forced reps, so that's not a problem. I don't even like someone touching the bar when I'm lifting and if they do, I don't count it as a full rep.

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
I've tried but I've come to the conclusion that she's just a lazy bitch.

Billy R

Billy R

Awards
I don't train with my wife very often, but I do train with my daughter. She is a blackbelt in karate, and so we do some weightlifting (she is incredibly strong for her size) as well as some purely karate stuff.

Zac Speed

Zac Speed

Awards
My wife and I go to the gym together everyday! She doesn't workout with me though.. She is as strong as most guys though. 5'10 170

IrishSoldier

IrishSoldier

Awards
Used to lift with the old ex. Taught her how to squat, got her ass huge and thennnnnnn left me..

I was used o.o! lmao nah it was fun though. She hated me being her trainer even though she always asked me to help her, after we lifted she was like "you could go easier on me"

And I told her I was just showing her the correct way of doing everything, and hey, it worked. Her complaints stopped.