The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Planet Fitness removes squat racks for being 'intimidating' because we're such pussies in America - Guyism

PLANET FITNESS REMOVES SQUAT RACKS FOR BEING ‘INTIMIDATING’

Planet Fitness regularly touts how it’s not like all the other gyms and encourages soft people to indulge in its purple haze of mediocrity. And now they’re taking it one step further: Getting rid of squat racks for being “intimidating.”

planet fitness 290x214 Planet Fitness removes squat racks for being intimidating because were such pussies in AmericaFlickr/Nicholas Eckhart

Redditor Kalerad posted his problem with Planet Fitness’s overly all-inclusive philosophy on the site’s Fitness subsection.

“I walked in noticing the outline of dust on the floor where the squat rack once stood. I was heartbroken. Especially since I had just recently found a love for squatting.

“I of course had to ask an employee “WTF?” He regretfully told me that a few days prior corporate came in and removed it because ‘a customer complained that it was intimidating.’”

The move is one of many — along with offering free pizza and bagels and tanning beds — to lure in the casual gym goer who might be turned off by gyms being a little too “fitness oriented.”

Either way, if you want to do serious workouts at any point in your life, make sure to avoid Planet Fitness. And if you’re the type of person who’s intimidated by a series of metal rods that make people stronger and healthier, we’re probably all better off if you remove yourself from society’s gene pool.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Fûck em. Let them tread water in mediocrity.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
Im gonna email planet fitness complaining that dumbells over 15lbs are too intimidating. I'm also gonna add that the only acceptable dumbells that don't leave me shrieking in terror are little pink rubber ones

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Im gonna email planet fitness complaining that dumbells over 15lbs are too intimidating. I'm also gonna add that the only acceptable dumbells that don't leave me shrieking in terror are little pink rubber ones
LMAO!!!!

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
PLANET FITNESS REMOVES SQUAT RACKS FOR BEING ‘INTIMIDATING’

I guess I get the point of them not wanting the "meat heads" there but they should just become a cardio gym and use the now extra space for yoga or whatever. It doesn't even make sense for them to pretend to cater to the average guy/girl who wants to lift some weights.

Thatguy_603

Awards
Wow seriously. I don't want to admit it but I regretfully workout at pf due to them being open 24 hours so I can workout after work at 2am. And they are everywhere. But if they get rid of the smith machines I'm gonna cancel. Without doing squats on leg day, what is the point in working out there. Time to start looking for another gym in my area if this happens although haven't seen any around me. May have to build the rest of my gym in my basement.

chitown58

chitown58

Awards
WOW!! im really losing hope for people.. someone actually complained that squat racks were intimidating??? are you serious???? what a coward of a shameful human being! i dont even know what to say...people need to open theyre eyes and stand up to this garbage, im tired of these people always playing this victim crap..

chitown58

chitown58

Awards
and its not even about the squat racks that piss me off, it runs so much deeper than that..

smoker145

and its not even about the squat racks that piss me off, it runs so much deeper than that..
I don't know why we all care so much.

Does my gym have a squat rack? Yes
Bench? Yes
Dumbells up to 150? Yes

I'm good. And I'm sure everyone else here is to. If ppl want to go to planet fitness then that's their choice, their goals, etc.

chitown58

chitown58

Awards
people just seem to disregard things like this and it becomes worse...i hear what your saying but i just see a ridiculous change from a decade age to now because people just say let it be..i mean they have commercials making serious people look like complete idiots, if someone decided to go out and switch that around it would be this whole ordeal and them playing victim

smoker145

I understand. It's just up to the consumer to pick and choose. There has to be a lot of ppl going to pf Bc there are quite a few in my area.

I wouldn't go, but hey everyone is different .

smoker145

On a side note, I think the alarm is funny. What's more annoying? Someone grunting? Or a loud alarm going off? Lol makes no sense

JD261985

Banned
Awards
On a side note, I think the alarm is funny. What's more annoying? Someone grunting? Or a loud alarm going off? Lol makes no sense
You should watch the YouTube video of a guy going crazy after planet fitness kicks the guy out for setting off lunk alarm

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Seems the alarm is a law suit waiting to happen also.

Rarchib

Rarchib

Awards
I love how it's absolutely fine for planet fitness to stereotype people that exercise with actual free weights and care about their physique as "ignorant meatheads" and all of the other characterizations that they falsely accuse of those on all of their ads. Yet, somehow, if ANY other stereotype is made in this nation it becomes a huge uproar. I normally wouldn't care but it's just frustrating to see where we draw lines as to what's correct and what is not in this nation.

chitown58

chitown58

Awards
I love how it's absolutely fine for planet fitness to stereotype people that exercise with actual free weights and care about their physique as "ignorant meatheads" and all of the other characterizations that they falsely accuse of those on all of their ads. Yet, somehow, if ANY other stereotype is made in this nation it becomes a huge uproar. I normally wouldn't care but it's just frustrating to see where we draw lines as to what's correct and what is not in this nation.
exactly my friend, me n you are on the same page...

abs322

abs322

Banned
Awards
I remember when Gold's gym was everywhere. Now it's Planet Fitness. The planet has gone downhill.
you got that right, i miss my old Golds membership.... i hear retro fitness has decent equipment, theyre not in my area yet

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
All trEadmills will be governed at 2.5 mph and inclines disabled too?? Lol

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
So many of their TV commercials during the morning news...they piss me off especially when they x out the "bro" and green light the skinny-fat chick doing bad form lat pulls

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
you got that right, i miss my old Golds membership.... i hear retro fitness has decent equipment, theyre not in my area yet
Lol I can't handle the yellow and red colors though it's just too much... Luckily I have a fitness 19 not far from them that has everything I need and is $5 cheaper per month.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I had never been inside a planet fitness until recently when I moved. Figured I would check it out since it's so cheap. Some effeminate fat kid showed me around. He told me it would be $20 try out the gym for the day. There were no barbells in sight, it was mostly cardio equipment and some machines, a few dumbbells and they only go up to 60 pounds. Everything was brand new and shiny though. No squat racks. It was mostly kids in their 20's and teenagers "working out". Or standing in front of the mirrors looking at themselves. It was like stepping back into high-school. The atmosphere almost made me lose my lunch.

How is saying "We don't cater to bodybuilders.", "Judgement free"?. I don't get it. What if they said, "We don't cater to...insert anything else here". They'd be shut down or public ally criticized in an instant.

abs322

abs322

Banned
Awards
Lol I can't handle the yellow and red colors though it's just too much... Luckily I have a fitness 19 not far from them that has everything I need and is $5 cheaper per month.
haha yeah i hear ya, those colors would prolly drive me nutz after a while..

for what its worth, i used to have a YMCA membership that let me go to different Y's in other towns and nutin for nutin but some of the YMCAs including the one in my town have had some really great new equipment, im talking plenty of free weights, benches & even machines like Hammer strength, hell the last one even had seated leg curl in addition to lying leg curl and seated & standing calf machines, t bar row, stuff youd find a bodybuildning oriented gym. if the hours werent so limited for me i would still keep a membership but unfortunately i need a 24hr gym with my current schedule.

the two best gyms i ever lifted at all closed, Golds Gym & Bodybuilding Emporium

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
haha yeah i hear ya, those colors would prolly drive me nutz after a while..

for what its worth, i used to have a YMCA membership that let me go to different Y's in other towns and nutin for nutin but some of the YMCAs including the one in my town have had some really great new equipment, im talking plenty of free weights, benches & even machines like Hammer strength, hell the last one even had seated leg curl in addition to lying leg curl and seated & standing calf machines, t bar row, stuff youd find a bodybuildning oriented gym. if the hours werent so limited for me i would still keep a membership but unfortunately i need a 24hr gym with my current schedule.

the two best gyms i ever lifted at all closed, Golds Gym & Bodybuilding Emporium
I have a YMCA within walking distance but never checked it out. YMCA's generally have less equipment and are more expensive though. Maybe I'll go check it out actually though.

ericool007

ericool007

Awards
  • Established
Signing up for this Place would be like buying A sports car in an Automatic, Whats the point.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My wife has a membership to PF, and she asked me to go along with her on a day off one week. We got there and I was by far the biggest guy in the place. Which is sad considering I was only 195 lbs. at the time. And only machines and DB's and cardio. I asked the front desk where the bench press was and they said it didn't "mesh with their company policy on personal fitness". Did I miss something at some point or wasn't a strong upper body part of a person's fitness?

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There are plenty of gyms to choose from, but no great ones. Sufficient maybe, but not great. I want World's and Gold's back.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wonder if the Gold's of today is the same as it was in the early 90's when I was going there. Anyone in this thread go to Gold's gym?

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
I think there is both a Golds and World gym by me... Last I heard the World gym had some shady stuff going on with members dealing roids or something. I don't know about the Golds gym though since my other options are much closer.

Edit: Nevermind the golds gym closed down by me.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am a "home gym-er", and I feel like I can get a better workout, strength, size, whatever, at my home gym than at PF. Why even bother giving them money if they aren't going to take fitness serliously or the majority of their customers needs into account? Squat racks come out because some one said they are intimidating? What about all the other people who used those squat racks?

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am a "home gym-er", and I feel like I can get a better workout, strength, size, whatever, at my home gym than at PF. Why even bother giving them money if they aren't going to take fitness serliously or the majority of their customers needs into account? Squat racks come out because some one said they are intimidating? What about all the other people who used those squat racks?
This is the new America....if you offend just 1 person the world must stop and we must have a week long discussion on CNN with human rights activists persecuting disensitive weightlifters.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This is the new America....if you offend just 1 person the world must stop and we must have a week long discussion on CNN with human rights activists persecuting disensitive weightlifters.
It's sad that the ratio of people WITH balls vs. people WITHOUT is so disproportionate....in favor of WITHOUT

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
The part where you're wrong is the majority of customers could care less if there's a squat rack or not. Majority of customers in gyms now days care more about how new or cool the treadmills, bikes, Elipticals, and stair steppers look + whether or not the gym has a sauna, rock wall, pool, or any other useless shet that they probly won't ever use. Forums represent probly 1% of the actual fitness community

If you think about it, the squat rack is used by curl monkeys more than squatters

Zac Speed

Zac Speed

Awards
I wonder if the Gold's of today is the same as it was in the early 90's when I was going there. Anyone in this thread go to Gold's gym?
Here in Kansas City Golds is all about competition. Most regulars in there are training for a show.. Great atmosphere!!!

mf123

mf123

Awards
I don't know why we all care so much. Does my gym have a squat rack? Yes Bench? Yes Dumbells up to 150? Yes I'm good. And I'm sure everyone else here is to. If ppl want to go to planet fitness then that's their choice, their goals, etc.
Its only a matter of time before planet fitness looks like spongebob lifting weights.

image-2786487735.jpg

image-1470703474.jpg