Magazines and supplement ads, how they influence readers

humbleego

Awards
Hey Guys,

This is my first post and I thought I would make it a mildly interesting one. So Ive been going through some magazines and after taking a media class in school I have started to look at things more critically. And the first thing I notice are the ads! Most of the time they are an IFBB pro Bodybuilder of Fitness model who claim natty because said product made them a ****ing super human. So I thought this would be interesting to see how people deconstruct these ads. From the model, to the catch phrase to the science of making the reader feel inadequate and want to buy. Im curious how do you guys see it?

Hope to get some good responses :)

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
I don't touch magazines so I mostly stick to supp reviews for my choices, so I'm useless in this thread lol

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
they shouldn't influence anyone but then again if they weren't working then the companies wouldn't have the adds in the first place....this is why consumers need to be educated on things, we have the internet now and should have enough information fairly quickly in order to an educated purchase

theres even companies on this site which shall remain nameless that run crazy write ups that promise the world on their newest products

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
Look up how they make those ads. Also there's a scene in bigger stronger faster about it.
Before I knew about aas I just thought certain dudes were built like that.

Welcome to AM brother. Have fun and learn a lot

Zac Speed

Zac Speed

Awards
I mainly skip over the ads because after 10 years I know what works and what I like. If I pick up a rag its usually at the grocery store while my old lady shops. Then its nothing more than checking out the contest highlights.

Anyone with intelligence knows Jay didn't get the way he is by drinking mass amounts of Cel-tech. That goes for most those ads. If you're dumb enough to believe that taking a bunch of supplements and working out will make you look like an air brushed magazine picture you deserve to waste your money.

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
Advertising works..... Nobody juices, not even professional athletes lol

lannjonny

lannjonny

Awards
  • Established
I don't touch magazines so I mostly stick to supp reviews for my choices, so I'm useless in this thread lol
10-4 positive reviews or convincing my brother to buy it so i can use it..heh heh

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
the only mag I buy is POWER and I don't worry about the ads

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
Look up how they make those ads. Also there's a scene in bigger stronger faster about it.
Before I knew about aas I just thought certain dudes were built like that.

Welcome to AM brother. Have fun and learn a lot
Such a great movie, I wish more people would watch it...

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Unfortunately advertising is like that for most things. In magazines my wife reads, these beautiful women are selling eyeliner and things like that, while not actually wearing any of it and are photoshopped to hell and back. Definitely sets up unrealistic expectations for the people that can't see through that stuff.