Is being a rep a good gig? - AnabolicMinds.com

Is being a rep a good gig?

Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. New Member
    Matt73's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    284
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    49527

    Is being a rep a good gig?


    Hi everyone, a questions been on my mind recently, What is the pay/salary of a rep for one of the supplement companies. Is it enough to do full time and leave your other job? Would there be benefits (medical, dental) I assume free product. I also figure that one would keep their full-time job and do this part-time. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

  2. Advanced Member
    daft205's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  178 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    599
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    53133

    Most reps are just compensated in product. And it's usually not that much-like $100-$200 worth of product a month(for most, there are definitely exceptions). Some companies do referral programs which will result in actually cash but its usually pennies on the dollars and requires quite a bit of pushy/car salesmanship behavior from the rep. As far as benefits go I've never heard of any company doing that for reps. I've heard of reps for some of the really big companies doing a lot better financially, but they are also usually doing more for the company than just forum repping.
  3. Senior Member
    Touey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,793
    Answers
    2
    Rep Power
    3014426

    I hear coop pay all of med. school on it and bdcc investments heavily on buying up various rental earning potential properties in Chelsea from dividends
    "To your wife you should kiss try today"-Touey

    Brotato's bark brings shakes to the pups in the yard
    •   
       

  4. Elite Member
    Montego1's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  236 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    8,518
    Answers
    8
    Rep Power
    7293207

    I LOVE being a rep. I don't even count it as actual work because Im involved with a company I believe in and enjoy what I do.

    Unless you are an RD guy like coop or a lead company rep over many fronts I highly doubt you would be able to quit your day job though.

    Basically it's a fun gig to help out a company I love and a way to reduce my spending on supps. Wich leads to more spending cash.

    ​" If you're looking for a work horse.......I'm no Clydesdale."
  5. Senior Member
    OnionKnight's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,380
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    465993

    just a way to get free stuff dude. i think the basic requirement is good standing in the forum and somthin like 5 posts a day. just think of it as something to do while bored at work to get some supplements lol
  6. Senior Member
    nicksox15's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,156
    Answers
    3
    Rep Power
    1435616

    Quote Originally Posted by Montego1 View Post
    I LOVE being a rep. I don't even count it as actual work because Im involved with a company I believe in and enjoy what I do.

    Unless you are an RD guy like coop or a lead company rep over many fronts I highly doubt you would be able to quit your day job though.

    Basically it's a fun gig to help out a company I love and a way to reduce my spending on supps. Wich leads to more spending cash.
    Agreed here! I did a log for Performax and fell in love with the product and jumped at the chance when they were looking for a rep. It's definitely not doable to leave the day job, lol but I really enjoy following along with logs and interacting with people.
  7. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,181
    Answers
    14
    Rep Power
    3319955

    Quote Originally Posted by Touey View Post
    I hear coop pay all of med. school on it and bdcc investments heavily on buying up various rental earning potential properties in Chelsea from dividends
    LOL this made my day
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  8. Elite Member
    McCrew530's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,198
    Answers
    9
    Rep Power
    2080504

    If you are a rep are you given the power to go out and try get to the product into stores for commission?
    Rep For IronFlex
    Use the NEW CODE MCCREW20 to save 20% off of EVERYTHING on the IronFlex site,
    Even Diabolix Ironflex's new compound!

  9. Senior Member
    OnionKnight's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,380
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    465993

    Quote Originally Posted by McCrew530 View Post
    If you are a rep are you given the power to go out and try get to the product into stores for commission?
    doubt it. thats a corporate duty
  10. Diamond Member
    bdcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10,186
    Answers
    2
    Rep Power
    10502204

    A typical forum rep will be rewarded in free products. I have only ever repped for one company but have received various offers.

    One company said their remuneration was one product a month. Another offered a coupon for you to order from their site. The coupon was less than some of their higher valued products so it was one product or less per month lol. The last scenario also requested a minimum post count which would have been a lot of work for very little pay. They had a lot of forum reps and in my opinion, very low quality as the average.

    Good companies will reward generously for a dedicated team. Generously would be several products per month.

    If you work your way up and have a more integral role then salaries are possible. Some people will be visiting stores and making commission. Other's get this with online work (Cyrus and I as examples).

    Most companies reward poorly and expect a lot. If someone really loves posting on the forum then it is a nice benefit.

    I personally don't like the idea of post counts because you get a lot of reps spamming various threads.

    There is my summary.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  11. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    22,964
    Answers
    6
    Rep Power
    917950

    This depends by what you mean by rep. Do you mean field rep or forum rep?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  12. Elite Member
    McCrew530's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,198
    Answers
    9
    Rep Power
    2080504

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    This depends by what you mean by rep. Do you mean field rep or forum rep?
    I would think you could do both, Forum rep with incentive to become a field rep if initiative was shown...
    Rep For IronFlex
    Use the NEW CODE MCCREW20 to save 20% off of EVERYTHING on the IronFlex site,
    Even Diabolix Ironflex's new compound!

  13. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    22,964
    Answers
    6
    Rep Power
    917950

    Quote Originally Posted by McCrew530 View Post
    I would think you could do both, Forum rep with incentive to become a field rep if initiative was shown...
    This is highly dependent on the market where you live. I'm both, but more of a field rep these days than a forum rep.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  14. Elite Member
    McCrew530's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,198
    Answers
    9
    Rep Power
    2080504

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    This is highly dependent on the market where you live. I'm both, but more of a field rep these days than a forum rep.
    Well if you want a part time field rep in So-Cal I love your products and know that there are plenty of sup shops around here
    Rep For IronFlex
    Use the NEW CODE MCCREW20 to save 20% off of EVERYTHING on the IronFlex site,
    Even Diabolix Ironflex's new compound!

  15. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    22,964
    Answers
    6
    Rep Power
    917950

    Quote Originally Posted by McCrew530 View Post
    Well if you want a part time field rep in So-Cal I love your products and know that there are plenty of sup shops around here
    We already have a SD rep.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  16. Elite Member
    McCrew530's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  197 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,198
    Answers
    9
    Rep Power
    2080504

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    We already have a SD rep.
    I kind of figured you would, it was worth a shot
    Rep For IronFlex
    Use the NEW CODE MCCREW20 to save 20% off of EVERYTHING on the IronFlex site,
    Even Diabolix Ironflex's new compound!

  17. Senior Member
    nicksox15's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,156
    Answers
    3
    Rep Power
    1435616

    Quote Originally Posted by McCrew530 View Post
    I kind of figured you would, it was worth a shot
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
    -Michael Scott - Wayne Gretzky
  18. New Member
    Matt73's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    284
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    49527

    Quote Originally Posted by daft205 View Post
    Most reps are just compensated in product. And it's usually not that much-like $100-$200 worth of product a month(for most, there are definitely exceptions). Some companies do referral programs which will result in actually cash but its usually pennies on the dollars and requires quite a bit of pushy/car salesmanship behavior from the rep. As far as benefits go I've never heard of any company doing that for reps. I've heard of reps for some of the really big companies doing a lot better financially, but they are also usually doing more for the company than just forum repping.
    Thank you, for the info. I was kind've figuring along these lines.
  19. New Member
    Matt73's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    284
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    49527

    Quote Originally Posted by Montego1 View Post
    I LOVE being a rep. I don't even count it as actual work because Im involved with a company I believe in and enjoy what I do.

    Unless you are an RD guy like coop or a lead company rep over many fronts I highly doubt you would be able to quit your day job though.

    Basically it's a fun gig to help out a company I love and a way to reduce my spending on supps. Wich leads to more spending cash.

    Very true and something I would naturally do for a company I respect and support. Plus no out of pocket expense.
  20. New Member
    Matt73's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    284
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    49527

    Quote Originally Posted by OnionKnight View Post
    just a way to get free stuff dude. i think the basic requirement is good standing in the forum and somthin like 5 posts a day. just think of it as something to do while bored at work to get some supplements lol
    Thanks OnionKnight, figured as much.
  21. New Member
    Matt73's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    284
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    49527

    Thanks bdcc for the insight.
  22. New Member
    Matt73's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    284
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    49527

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    This depends by what you mean by rep. Do you mean field rep or forum rep?
    True. I meant forum.
  23. New Member
    Matt73's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    284
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    49527

    I want to thank everybody that answered, it's appreciated.
  24. New Member
    Matt73's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    284
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    49527

    If I could pick your brains again......What makes a good online forum rep? How should you introduce yourself? Probably best to be yourself and let your personality come through right? Dos and Don'ts? Any feedback is of course appreciated. Also what would you like to see reps do, that they usually don't?
  25. Senior Member
    OnionKnight's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,380
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    465993

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt73 View Post
    If I could pick your brains again......What makes a good online forum rep? How should you introduce yourself? Probably best to be yourself and let your personality come through right? Dos and Don'ts? Any feedback is of course appreciated. Also what would you like to see reps do, that they usually don't?
    DONT be like a needo rep lol
  26. Senior Member
    Touey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,793
    Answers
    2
    Rep Power
    3014426

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt73 View Post
    If I could pick your brains again......What makes a good online forum rep? How should you introduce yourself? Probably best to be yourself and let your personality come through right? Dos and Don'ts? Any feedback is of course appreciated. Also what would you like to see reps do, that they usually don't?
    You should follow Piston Honda around on the forum he will show the way
    "To your wife you should kiss try today"-Touey

    Brotato's bark brings shakes to the pups in the yard
  27. Elite Member
    tyga tyga's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    6,863
    Answers
    2
    Rep Power
    2398343

    Quote Originally Posted by OnionKnight View Post
    DONT be like a needo rep lol
    This
    MYOKEM ATHLETE & REP
    BJOHNSON15 @MYOKEM.COM FOR 15% OFF

    PSALMS 62:1- 62:2
  28. Diamond Member
    bdcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10,186
    Answers
    2
    Rep Power
    10502204

    My rules for hiring a good rep. They won't apply to other companies but here is what I look for:

    - If they have asked to join loads of companies already, we don't want them.
    - We pick someone who clearly loves the products first and is clearly outspoken about them.
    - If they apply to join our company but I have never seen them talk about our products, we don't want them.

    In my opinion a good rep should be specific to the company and not just be looking for a rep gig with whoever offers. Too many people want free supplements and don't care who they rep for. These people aren't for us. Forum reps should be helpful, knowledgeable and polite.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  29. Senior Member
    Touey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,793
    Answers
    2
    Rep Power
    3014426

    ^ what he say plus. I will tell you what make you a good rep. from the point of view from the owner that will want to sell product to as many people the can is about people having sheer knowledge (coop) and those who writing is interesting not dumb/run of the mill to read (bdcc) people will like to reading both.

    But most importance too wanting to help/have fun with everyone the key. From an overview honest most rep. do not have a heart in it I think.
    "To your wife you should kiss try today"-Touey

    Brotato's bark brings shakes to the pups in the yard
  30. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,181
    Answers
    14
    Rep Power
    3319955

    Quote Originally Posted by bdcc View Post
    My rules for hiring a good rep. They won't apply to other companies but here is what I look for:

    - If they have asked to join loads of companies already, we don't want them.
    - We pick someone who clearly loves the products first and is clearly outspoken about them.
    - If they apply to join our company but I have never seen them talk about our products, we don't want them.

    In my opinion a good rep should be specific to the company and not just be looking for a rep gig with whoever offers. Too many people want free supplements and don't care who they rep for. These people aren't for us. Forum reps should be helpful, knowledgeable and polite.
    Nailed it.

    A good online rep actually reads the thread before making product suggestions. This forum is currently being over run by reps who are just copying and pasting the same thing into every thread. Even worse is that it is in the nutrition and training subsections. Those forums should be reserved for nutrition and training ONLY. The AM app has signatures removed as so people can't tell if you represent someone or not, or people new to the forum world probably are not aware that reps exist and just want an unbiased opinion.

    Key points:

    -Read the OP before making suggestions; take into account personal stats and their likes and dislikes
    -Genuinely like the company and the products they produce and take the time to familiarize yourself with their entire product line and how to dose them appropriately
    -Represent the company both on and off the forum. I know SNS and PES reps do this very well. I give away little baggies of SNS products (like pre-mixed pre workouts or 'pre mixed fat burners') all the time. I know i'm not alone in doing this.
    -Recognise that other companies do make products in the same category as your company and be willing and open enough to recommend both as options. Repping isn't just about making a sale, its about spreading awareness of the companies product line so that in future that person can experiment with your product as well
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  31. New Member
    Matt73's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    284
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    49527

    Really, really good. Thank you Jiigzz.
  32. New Member
    Matt73's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    284
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    49527

    I sense that as well. I'd want to come across as sincere, as I would be.
  33. New Member
    Matt73's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    284
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    49527

    Quote Originally Posted by bdcc View Post
    My rules for hiring a good rep. They won't apply to other companies but here is what I look for:

    - If they have asked to join loads of companies already, we don't want them.
    - We pick someone who clearly loves the products first and is clearly outspoken about them.
    - If they apply to join our company but I have never seen them talk about our products, we don't want them.

    In my opinion a good rep should be specific to the company and not just be looking for a rep gig with whoever offers. Too many people want free supplements and don't care who they rep for. These people aren't for us. Forum reps should be helpful, knowledgeable and polite.
    Thank you bdcc. Really good advice.
  34. New Member
    Matt73's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    284
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    49527

    Quote Originally Posted by Touey View Post
    You should follow Piston Honda around on the forum he will show the way
    I'll take a look
  35. Diamond Member
    bdcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    10,186
    Answers
    2
    Rep Power
    10502204

    Hayden's post says a lot of things I missed.

    He also demonstrated what a good rep is, helpful, polite and thorough.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  36. Senior Member
    Touey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,793
    Answers
    2
    Rep Power
    3014426

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt73 View Post
    I'll take a look
    do not look to close or you will turn to stone
    "To your wife you should kiss try today"-Touey

    Brotato's bark brings shakes to the pups in the yard
  37. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,181
    Answers
    14
    Rep Power
    3319955

    Quote Originally Posted by Touey View Post
    do not look to close or you will turn to stone
    Lmao. Your comments crack me up lol.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  38. New Member
    Matt73's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    284
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    49527

    Quote Originally Posted by Touey View Post
    do not look to close or you will turn to stone
    Gotta use my shield with the mirrored inside.
  39. New Member
    Matt73's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    284
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    49527

    Quote Originally Posted by Touey View Post
    do not look to close or you will turn to stone
    I sent you a pm but ur folder is too full.
  40. Elite Member
    Young Gotti's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,378
    Answers
    2
    Rep Power
    986723

    i just genuinely like helping people, i did that for free before, sharing my experiences in real life applications


    besides what has already been said:
    i have to see the reps on the team are also stand up ppl that make good posts and aren't arrogant a holes....i wouldn't rep for certain companies just because the members of the rep team are terrible, even if their products are great...kind of turns me away from even the products

    but is it a good gig: depending on what your looking to get out of it, if you want more exposure to help ppl in a genuine fashion then it's great...the free products are a bonus at that point
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. USPlabs is looking for a few good men & women! (NEW Product Reps)
    By borobulker in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 368
    Last Post: 01-06-2013, 12:32 PM
  2. IGF-1 is being used by bodybuilders on TV
    By x_muscle in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-26-2004, 12:36 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-21-2004, 09:31 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-26-2003, 01:12 AM
  5. I Must Say This Place Is Starting To Get Really Good!
    By Blindfaith in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-14-2002, 03:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in