Is being a rep a good gig?

Matt73

Matt73

Awards
Hi everyone, a questions been on my mind recently, What is the pay/salary of a rep for one of the supplement companies. Is it enough to do full time and leave your other job? Would there be benefits (medical, dental) I assume free product. I also figure that one would keep their full-time job and do this part-time. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

daft205

daft205

Awards
  • Established
Most reps are just compensated in product. And it's usually not that much-like $100-$200 worth of product a month(for most, there are definitely exceptions). Some companies do referral programs which will result in actually cash but its usually pennies on the dollars and requires quite a bit of pushy/car salesmanship behavior from the rep. As far as benefits go I've never heard of any company doing that for reps. I've heard of reps for some of the really big companies doing a lot better financially, but they are also usually doing more for the company than just forum repping.

Touey

Touey

Awards
I hear coop pay all of med. school on it and bdcc investments heavily on buying up various rental earning potential properties in Chelsea from dividends

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I LOVE being a rep. I don't even count it as actual work because Im involved with a company I believe in and enjoy what I do.

Unless you are an RD guy like coop or a lead company rep over many fronts I highly doubt you would be able to quit your day job though.

Basically it's a fun gig to help out a company I love and a way to reduce my spending on supps. Wich leads to more spending cash.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
just a way to get free stuff dude. i think the basic requirement is good standing in the forum and somthin like 5 posts a day. just think of it as something to do while bored at work to get some supplements lol

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I LOVE being a rep. I don't even count it as actual work because Im involved with a company I believe in and enjoy what I do.

Unless you are an RD guy like coop or a lead company rep over many fronts I highly doubt you would be able to quit your day job though.

Basically it's a fun gig to help out a company I love and a way to reduce my spending on supps. Wich leads to more spending cash.
Agreed here! I did a log for Performax and fell in love with the product and jumped at the chance when they were looking for a rep. It's definitely not doable to leave the day job, lol but I really enjoy following along with logs and interacting with people.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I hear coop pay all of med. school on it and bdcc investments heavily on buying up various rental earning potential properties in Chelsea from dividends
LOL this made my day

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
If you are a rep are you given the power to go out and try get to the product into stores for commission?

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A typical forum rep will be rewarded in free products. I have only ever repped for one company but have received various offers.

One company said their remuneration was one product a month. Another offered a coupon for you to order from their site. The coupon was less than some of their higher valued products so it was one product or less per month lol. The last scenario also requested a minimum post count which would have been a lot of work for very little pay. They had a lot of forum reps and in my opinion, very low quality as the average.

Good companies will reward generously for a dedicated team. Generously would be several products per month.

If you work your way up and have a more integral role then salaries are possible. Some people will be visiting stores and making commission. Other's get this with online work (Cyrus and I as examples).

Most companies reward poorly and expect a lot. If someone really loves posting on the forum then it is a nice benefit.

I personally don't like the idea of post counts because you get a lot of reps spamming various threads.

There is my summary. :)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This depends by what you mean by rep. Do you mean field rep or forum rep?

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
This depends by what you mean by rep. Do you mean field rep or forum rep?
I would think you could do both, Forum rep with incentive to become a field rep if initiative was shown...

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would think you could do both, Forum rep with incentive to become a field rep if initiative was shown...
This is highly dependent on the market where you live. I'm both, but more of a field rep these days than a forum rep.

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
This is highly dependent on the market where you live. I'm both, but more of a field rep these days than a forum rep.
Well if you want a part time field rep in So-Cal I love your products and know that there are plenty of sup shops around here :)

Matt73

Matt73

Awards
Most reps are just compensated in product. And it's usually not that much-like $100-$200 worth of product a month(for most, there are definitely exceptions). Some companies do referral programs which will result in actually cash but its usually pennies on the dollars and requires quite a bit of pushy/car salesmanship behavior from the rep. As far as benefits go I've never heard of any company doing that for reps. I've heard of reps for some of the really big companies doing a lot better financially, but they are also usually doing more for the company than just forum repping.
Thank you, for the info. I was kind've figuring along these lines.

Matt73

Matt73

Awards

Very true and something I would naturally do for a company I respect and support. Plus no out of pocket expense.

Matt73

Matt73

Awards
just a way to get free stuff dude. i think the basic requirement is good standing in the forum and somthin like 5 posts a day. just think of it as something to do while bored at work to get some supplements lol
Thanks OnionKnight, figured as much.

Matt73

Matt73

Awards
I want to thank everybody that answered, it's appreciated.

Matt73

Matt73

Awards
If I could pick your brains again......What makes a good online forum rep? How should you introduce yourself? Probably best to be yourself and let your personality come through right? Dos and Don'ts? Any feedback is of course appreciated. Also what would you like to see reps do, that they usually don't?

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
If I could pick your brains again......What makes a good online forum rep? How should you introduce yourself? Probably best to be yourself and let your personality come through right? Dos and Don'ts? Any feedback is of course appreciated. Also what would you like to see reps do, that they usually don't?
DONT be like a needo rep lol

Touey

Touey

Awards
You should follow Piston Honda around on the forum he will show the way

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My rules for hiring a good rep. They won't apply to other companies but here is what I look for:

- If they have asked to join loads of companies already, we don't want them.
- We pick someone who clearly loves the products first and is clearly outspoken about them.
- If they apply to join our company but I have never seen them talk about our products, we don't want them.

In my opinion a good rep should be specific to the company and not just be looking for a rep gig with whoever offers. Too many people want free supplements and don't care who they rep for. These people aren't for us. Forum reps should be helpful, knowledgeable and polite.

Touey

Touey

Awards
^ what he say plus. I will tell you what make you a good rep. from the point of view from the owner that will want to sell product to as many people the can is about people having sheer knowledge (coop) and those who writing is interesting not dumb/run of the mill to read (bdcc) people will like to reading both.

But most importance too wanting to help/have fun with everyone the key. From an overview honest most rep. do not have a heart in it I think.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
My rules for hiring a good rep. They won't apply to other companies but here is what I look for:

- We pick someone who clearly loves the products first and is clearly outspoken about them.
- If they apply to join our company but I have never seen them talk about our products, we don't want them.

In my opinion a good rep should be specific to the company and not just be looking for a rep gig with whoever offers. Too many people want free supplements and don't care who they rep for. These people aren't for us. Forum reps should be helpful, knowledgeable and polite.
Nailed it.

A good online rep actually reads the thread before making product suggestions. This forum is currently being over run by reps who are just copying and pasting the same thing into every thread. Even worse is that it is in the nutrition and training subsections. Those forums should be reserved for nutrition and training ONLY. The AM app has signatures removed as so people can't tell if you represent someone or not, or people new to the forum world probably are not aware that reps exist and just want an unbiased opinion.

Key points:

-Read the OP before making suggestions; take into account personal stats and their likes and dislikes
-Genuinely like the company and the products they produce and take the time to familiarize yourself with their entire product line and how to dose them appropriately
-Represent the company both on and off the forum. I know SNS and PES reps do this very well. I give away little baggies of SNS products (like pre-mixed pre workouts or 'pre mixed fat burners') all the time. I know i'm not alone in doing this.
-Recognise that other companies do make products in the same category as your company and be willing and open enough to recommend both as options. Repping isn't just about making a sale, its about spreading awareness of the companies product line so that in future that person can experiment with your product as well

Matt73

Matt73

Awards
I sense that as well. I'd want to come across as sincere, as I would be.

Matt73

Matt73

Awards

Thank you bdcc. Really good advice.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hayden's post says a lot of things I missed.

He also demonstrated what a good rep is, helpful, polite and thorough.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i just genuinely like helping people, i did that for free before, sharing my experiences in real life applications

besides what has already been said:
i have to see the reps on the team are also stand up ppl that make good posts and aren't arrogant a holes....i wouldn't rep for certain companies just because the members of the rep team are terrible, even if their products are great...kind of turns me away from even the products

but is it a good gig: depending on what your looking to get out of it, if you want more exposure to help ppl in a genuine fashion then it's great...the free products are a bonus at that point

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
Hi everyone, a questions been on my mind recently, What is the pay/salary of a rep for one of the supplement companies. Is it enough to do full time and leave your other job? Would there be benefits (medical, dental) I assume free product. I also figure that one would keep their full-time job and do this part-time. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

haha , most reps just get some free product as pay every month. its RARE you are going to find somthing considered part time let alone full time. its possible . but most places get reps for product and or commission each month. so no not on its own , NO way . but as a side job sure its great.

Matt73

Matt73

Awards
haha , most reps just get some free product as pay every month. its RARE you are going to find somthing considered part time let alone full time. its possible . but most places get reps for product and or commission each month. so no not on its own , NO way . but as a side job sure its great.
Thx Blergs, appreciated.

Matt73

Matt73

Awards
i just genuinely like helping people, i did that for free before, sharing my experiences in real life applications

besides what has already been said:
i have to see the reps on the team are also stand up ppl that make good posts and aren't arrogant a holes....i wouldn't rep for certain companies just because the members of the rep team are terrible, even if their products are great...kind of turns me away from even the products

but is it a good gig: depending on what your looking to get out of it, if you want more exposure to help ppl in a genuine fashion then it's great...the free products are a bonus at that point
Yeah me too and I wouldn't want to be on a ****ty team either. Thanks Young Gotti.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

OP, don't listen to this guy, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Dude doesn't even lift.

P.S. How long before AB affects your appetite? Few weeks or days?

<3

Matt73

Matt73

Awards
OP, don't listen to this guy, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Dude doesn't even lift.

P.S. How long before AB affects your appetite? Few weeks or days?

Not sure if you're joking or not but it seems like solid advice to me.
And what's AB?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Hes joking haha

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Three days.

I have eaten about half a kg of carbs for dinner every night. No joke lol.

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You should follow Piston Honda around on the forum he will show the way
I will indeed.

I have loved MAN Sports for a while before being offered a rep position. I am a believer in our product lineup and now I get to show more people what I initially loved about MAN.

BTW, if The Touey ever wanted to run a log on Gameday, I'm sure I could get him set up. More energy then he is the having for running Touey Wine Corporation over say Bartles & James or The Franzia.

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
Jump on this touey! Game Day is the only man supp I've tried but its as legit as it get!