Pliny the Elder anyone? beer talk

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
so as head of the beer department, my boss decided to give me a pliny the elder today during work. for those who dont know, it and pliny the younger are two of the highest rated ipa's in the world. needles to say, it was fkin good

any beer advocates out there? hoping to start a good thread on the worlds greatest vice. maybe learn a thing or two for work

fame126

fame126

Awards
  • Established
so as head of the beer department, my boss decided to give me a pliny the elder today during work. for those who dont know, it and pliny the younger are two of the highest rated ipa's in the world. needles to say, it was fkin good any beer advocates out there? hoping to start a good thread on the worlds greatest vice. maybe learn a thing or two for work
Russian river is a great brewing company. another awesome IPA is dogfish 90 min IPA one 4 pk of that and I'm wasted!!

harbonah

harbonah

Awards
  • Established
Russian river is a great brewing company. another awesome IPA is dogfish 90 min IPA one 4 pk of that and I'm wasted!!
I had a few of the dogfish head 120 minute ipa's and loved that stuff!

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
ive had all of dogfish head too. dogfish palo santo = fuk you up. 12% alcohol in that one

did you get to try stone's enjoy by ipa on the last batch? i think that one was equally good to pliny

fame126

fame126

Awards
  • Established
ive had all of dogfish head too. dogfish palo santo = fuk you up. 12% alcohol in that one did you get to try stone's enjoy by ipa on the last batch? i think that one was equally good to pliny
never had an enjoy by but heard good things. they are damn expensive as well

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
never had an enjoy by but heard good things. they are damn expensive as well
yea i got my bomber for $7. it was pretty damn good though. if you live near any total wines, you can probly still find the 10-25-13 brew. but it was bottled 9-20. so its not the freshest anymore lol

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
I had a few of the dogfish head 120 minute ipa's and loved that stuff!
If you find a place that taps the DFH 60 min ips you have to treat your self.

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
so as head of the beer department, my boss decided to give me a pliny the elder today during work. for those who dont know, it and pliny the younger are two of the highest rated ipa's in the world. needles to say, it was fkin good

any beer advocates out there? hoping to start a good thread on the worlds greatest vice. maybe learn a thing or two for work
I am a beer advocate for sure. If you like dark beers keep an eye out for ballast point's victory at sea it is one of the best imperial porters I have ever tried.
Hey since your up in sacto have you ever went to grass valley and checked out the Brewery Old Republic they are making some quality stuff out of their little operation.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
I am a beer advocate for sure. If you like dark beers keep an eye out for ballast point's victory at sea it is one of the best imperial porters I have ever tried.
Hey since your up in sacto have you ever went to grass valley and checked out the Brewery Old Republic they are making some quality stuff out of their little operation.
victory at sea is fkin awsome. same with their sculpin ipa. another good dark beer is the imperial russian stout Old Rasputin by north coast. thats one of the best ones ive ever tried. and paulaner Salvator = best doppelbock ive ever tried

as for porters, i have a deschutes black butte XXV anniversary in my fridge for tomorow when walking dead season starts

is that ol' republic brewery from nevada city? my bosses have been there, but not me. my boss is taking me to russian river brewery and lagunitas in february to try and get some pliny the younger. that one is gonna be fkin sweet

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Russian Rivers Concecration is about the best beer I've ever tried.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
Russian Rivers Concecration is about the best beer I've ever tried.
so youre into the sour beers? my bosses love those, im not into them so much

have you tried petrus aged?

madripper32

madripper32

Awards
  • Established
Rodenbach Grand Cru is great for a Flemish style but I can't drink to much of that stuff.

I am a sucker for the pumpkins this time of year.

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
victory at sea is fkin awsome. same with their sculpin ipa. another good dark beer is the imperial russian stout Old Rasputin by north coast. thats one of the best ones ive ever tried. and paulaner Salvator = best doppelbock ive ever tried

as for porters, i have a deschutes black butte XXV anniversary in my fridge for tomorow when walking dead season starts

is that ol' republic brewery from nevada city? my bosses have been there, but not me. my boss is taking me to russian river brewery and lagunitas in february to try and get some pliny the younger. that one is gonna be fkin sweet
Ya ol' republic is right under the local grocery store SPD in Nevada City . I guess they are expanding into a new location.

Since we are talking beer here have you tried a beer float. i went on a beer tour for my birthday a couple of years ago and Stone made me a Vanilla bean smoked porter float with their house made vanilla bean ice-cream I still dream of that some nights it was so good.

If you like Sculpin you should try Tung buckler. Its really hoppy and rich in flavor, plus at 11% or something you only need one.

Man looks like I am going to be making a trip to Bevmo after work to get some old Rasputin to go with my steak and Walking Dead Tonight!

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
Rodenbach Grand Cru is great for a Flemish style but I can't drink to much of that stuff.

I am a sucker for the pumpkins this time of year.
If you like Pumpkin beer keep an eye out for Firestone Walker (I think) they made a pumpkin beer that almost tasted like pie it was great.

madripper32

madripper32

Awards
  • Established
I had a couple blue point pumpkins on draft yesterday and I'm still tasting that deliciousness today.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
If you like Pumpkin beer keep an eye out for Firestone Walker (I think) they made a pumpkin beer that almost tasted like pie it was great.
shipyard makes the best pumpkin ale for you or anyone else interested

and for the beer float, ive only mixed samuel smiths Chocolate Stout with ce cream. it was damn good though. my bosses tell me to try liefmans framboise with icecream too, apparently that is also very good

and you have my personal word that rasputin is one badass beer. another good one s paulaner salvator. very good doppelbock, and very complex woth a lot of flavors

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
Well No Rasputin last night But...
Asylum Barley wine by Left Coast went great with my porterhouse!
On another note This season of Walking Dead started off with a Bang!!!

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Sea Dog is about the most disgusting thing on this planet.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
Sea Dog is about the most disgusting thing on this planet.
lol random thought?

i liked their blueberry one a little. i think its better than other flavored beers like smirnoff n shet. and they make a good root beer that i drink at work

its more of a nooby beer

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
shipyard makes the best pumpkin ale for you or anyone else interested and for the beer float, ive only mixed samuel smiths Chocolate Stout with ce cream. it was damn good though. my bosses tell me to try liefmans framboise with icecream too, apparently that is also very good and you have my personal word that rasputin is one badass beer. another good one s paulaner salvator. very good doppelbock, and very complex woth a lot of flavors
Old Rasputin and Brooklyn Brewery Chocolate Stout are amazing beers

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Took a Sam Adams brewery tour and was impressed by one of their limited run items, Verloren. I would give my non-drink-holding arm for a case of that stuff.

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you want a knock you on your a$$ beer, find "La Fin Du Monde" or "Maudite" by Unibroue out of Montreal

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
lol random thought?

i liked their blueberry one a little. i think its better than other flavored beers like smirnoff n shet. and they make a good root beer that i drink at work

its more of a nooby beer
Im not too into the fruity beer but Wild Blue is good and at 8% its got some respectable punch.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
If you want a knock you on your a$$ beer, find "La Fin Du Monde" or "Maudite" by Unibroue out of Montreal
we have unibrou too. la fin du monde in particular is what im probly gonna buy next

Im not too into the fruity beer but Wild Blue is good and at 8% its got some respectable punch.
yea i bout my gf a 6 pack of wild blue a few months back. it was a little too fruity for me, but i could tell a lot of people would like it. girls in particular really like wild blue. have you tried lost coast tangerine? its a wheat beer brewed with tangerine. same concept, except wheat based and hella good. girls really like it too

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Not random, someone brought Sea Dog over last night. It's blueberry diarrhea and it's banned from my fridge.

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
But I hate most of the fruity beers. I think it was Kona brewery that made a passion fruit beer. Was god awful.

Pumpkin is somewhat acceptable though.

Anyone ever tried Chimay brews? I've only has the blue and the red but they are very very tasty. Blue is pretty strong too.

fame126

fame126

Awards
  • Established
But I hate most of the fruity beers. I think it was Kona brewery that made a passion fruit beer. Was god awful. Pumpkin is somewhat acceptable though. Anyone ever tried Chimay brews? I've only has the blue and the red but they are very very tasty. Blue is pretty strong too.

Julian brewery makes a cherry bomb which is a cherry cider @6.99abv not too bad IMO

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
yea i bout my gf a 6 pack of wild blue a few months back. it was a little too fruity for me, but i could tell a lot of people would like it. girls in particular really like wild blue. have you tried lost coast tangerine? its a wheat beer brewed with tangerine. same concept, except wheat based and hella good. girls really like it too
I have its a good summer beer and it goes well with chicken Fajitas

Julian brewery makes a cherry bomb which is a cherry cider @6.99abv not too bad IMO
Both of their Ciders are BOMB!

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
But I hate most of the fruity beers. I think it was Kona brewery that made a passion fruit beer. Was god awful.

Pumpkin is somewhat acceptable though.

Anyone ever tried Chimay brews? I've only has the blue and the red but they are very very tasty. Blue is pretty strong too.
that was kona's wailua. i thought it was gross too

chimays are top notch belgium brews. you can actually get the corked bombers and age them for years. my boss has been braggin about finding a 3 year old gift of the magi the other day

TexasGuy

Awards
I'm a fan of dark beers myself. Stouts, porters, black lagers et cetera.

This time of year the pumpkin beers are out and amazing.

A microbrew in Houston, St. Arnold, makes a special reserve called Pumpkinator that is basically the holidays in a bottle. Not sure how wide their distribution is but Dogfish Head Punkin is good too.

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
Anyone in here ever brewed before?

I've been building the equipment for a while now, still haven't gotten to try it yet. Almost done.

madripper32

madripper32

Awards
  • Established
Anyone in here ever brewed before? I've been building the equipment for a while now, still haven't gotten to try it yet. Almost done.
Yes my brother and I brew a few times a year. We're working on increasing batch size now. Need more time and money for that though.

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
Anyone in here ever brewed before?

I've been building the equipment for a while now, still haven't gotten to try it yet. Almost done.
LOL I use a MR Beer that thing is the Sh!t!!! Its fun and easy! Once I get a house I am going to start my own operation for sure!

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
LOL I use a MR Beer that thing is the Sh!t!!! Its fun and easy! Once I get a house I am going to start my own operation for sure!
Haha. I'm thinking about cooking up some gin pretty soon.

Gin is my thang. But the beer setup should be done this month, if this forum is up ill try and post some pictures of the process.

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards

Gin is my thang. But the beer setup should be done this month, if this forum is up ill try and post some pictures of the process.
You make Gin?! how do you do that good sir?

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards

PumpHouse

PumpHouse

Awards
I haven't done it yet. My dad has a few prohibition era copper still pieces. With a bit of money put into it, it could work. But gin seems to be a lot more complicated of a process and recipes are closely guarded.

When I said "gin is my thang" I meant "drinking gin is my thang". Haven't made any yet lol.

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
I haven't done it yet. My dad has a few prohibition era copper still pieces. With a bit of money put into it, it could work. But gin seems to be a lot more complicated of a process and recipes are closely guarded.

When I said "gin is my thang" I meant "drinking gin is my thang". Haven't made any yet lol.
ahh I thought you had a family recipy that you cook up. Ya gin and scotch/bourbon are the only hard stuff I touch Bombay Sapphire for Martinis and Tanqueray for the Tonics
getting back on point though Johnny Walker Double Black paired with Sierra Nevada Bigfoot is Amazing!!!!!

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
speaking of sierra nevada, any of you grab their northern hemisphere harvest yet? its pretty damn good

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
speaking of sierra nevada, any of you grab their northern hemisphere harvest yet? its pretty damn good
I have not... but i bet it tastes like a fresh version of their torpedo. Am I close?

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
I have not... but i bet it tastes like a fresh version of their torpedo. Am I close?
not as citrusy unless you let it age. but yea pretty much a fresh version of torpedo

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
I'm a fan of dark beers myself. Stouts, porters, black lagers et cetera.

This time of year the pumpkin beers are out and amazing.

A microbrew in Houston, St. Arnold, makes a special reserve called Pumpkinator that is basically the holidays in a bottle. Not sure how wide their distribution is but Dogfish Head Punkin is good too.
If you enjoy dark beers check out Iron Fist's Velvet Glove Its a great Imperial Stout

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
well it depends on the type of beer and its top. but you can either cellar them at ~ 50-60 F, or just leave them in a cabinet away from heat and light. aging certain beers will release more flavors and aroma from the hops and malt. for the most part, its not worth aging too many beers unless you bought them with that specific intent

idk if i already mentioned this, but im aging a firestone velviet merkin. i plan on opening it around my birthday which will be about 6 months. its a bourban barrel aged oatmeal stout

other popular choices are aging ipas for a few months. it will release more citrus flavor from the hops and reduce the bitterness. that could be good or bad lol. and the bombers of chimay are ment for aging. they come with the cork top so you can lay it down and leave them forever

the only ipa ive actually aged was a sculpin and its only because i bought it already aged and left it for an extra month. it was really good, lots of citrus from the citra hops

madripper32

madripper32

Awards
  • Established
I always wanted to age a dogfish 120 min but I get to anxious and open it within the first month lol.

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
well it depends on the type of beer and its top. but you can either cellar them at ~ 50-60 F, or just leave them in a cabinet away from heat and light. aging certain beers will release more flavors and aroma from the hops and malt. for the most part, its not worth aging too many beers unless you bought them with that specific intent

idk if i already mentioned this, but im aging a firestone velviet merkin. i plan on opening it around my birthday which will be about 6 months. its a bourban barrel aged oatmeal stout

other popular choices are aging ipas for a few months. it will release more citrus flavor from the hops and reduce the bitterness. that could be good or bad lol. and the bombers of chimay are ment for aging. they come with the cork top so you can lay it down and leave them forever

the only ipa ive actually aged was a sculpin and its only because i bought it already aged and left it for an extra month. it was really good, lots of citrus from the citra hops
Hmmm most lost abby beers are corked I may have to give that a shot!
speaking of corks
[video]www.liveleak.com/view?i=979_1349562393‎[/video]