How the hell do you get enough food when you're working?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Okay, so I'm in college right now and almost finished. After I finish up, I'm going to try and work with my friend at his job. There is something I've always wondered though. If most places only give you one half hour lunch break, how do you guys get enough food during the day?

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Met-Rx meal replacement bars, and sneaking food when the boss isn't looking. A buddy of mine used to eat cold chicken breasts on a fork about 4 times a day....bland but it works

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Protein shakes, mixed nuts, beef jerky, etc. You could compensate by making your 3 squares bigger as well.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
This ^^^^&

Eat what you can then enlarge every additional meal

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Packets of pre-drained tuna have been saving me right now as I haven't had protein powder in over a week. Still hitting my daily amount of protein and the packets are under a buck a piece often times. The other suggestions are great as well.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Met-Rx meal replacement bars, and sneaking food when the boss isn't looking. A buddy of mine used to eat cold chicken breasts on a fork about 4 times a day....bland but it works
Yeah, I was thinking about the protein bar idea, but I don't like the fact that they're filled with sugar, carbs and high fructose.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Planning, lots of planning. If you don't prepare for it by using the above mentioned ideas it's near impossible.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I was thinking about the protein bar idea, but I don't like the fact that they're filled with sugar, carbs and high fructose.
I rotate between bars, shakes, greek yogurt, beef jerky, hard boiled eggs, mixed nuts etc... Most of those don't take much prep time and can be eaten quickly at your desk. If your on the go at meetings and stuff your options become more limited.

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
This one is the best I have found so far not a lot of junk in it and has a good mix of good stuff and it tastes decent but you have to go with the cookie dough the rest of their line up has a bunch of extra fats and sugars met-rx-big-100-bars-300x300.jpg

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Purchase bulk foods and bring them to work (meats, fish, vegetables, oats, FO, EVOO etc). I bring approximately two weeks worth of food to work at a time. Keep it in the fridge/freezer. Replenish as needed. Planning is the key to success.

Nis1

Nis1

Awards
I usually cook 5 lbs of chicken breast at a time and it lasts me a couple of days. Tupperware with rice, veggies, and chicken is my key to success!!

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
Quest bars, man, quest bars!
Never had those but they look like they provide a good mix of flavors! Im Going to have to check them out!

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
the Applie Pie is my personal fave. Toss 'em in the microwave for ~10sec. :food:
I do that with apple fritters then make the same face that Homer is using in your avatar

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Did someone say apple pie and ice cream!?!?!?

heckler7

heckler7

Awards
  • Established
This one is the best I have found so far not a lot of junk in it and has a good mix of good stuff and it tastes decent but you have to go with the cookie dough the rest of their line up has a bunch of extra fats and sugars View attachment 87677
just a tip, read the ingredients on protein bars and check for inulin, inulin makes you feel full and will decrease your appetite, you don't want that, on cycle you want to eat more so avoid it if possible

cheekygains

Awards
I almost got fired for eating too much while working

The **** that I do not give

Protein bars/Pocket food is essential

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I almost got fired for eating too much while working

The **** that I do not give

Protein bars/Pocket food is essential
HA! I got yelled at for going to the cafe to get more food during my shift. **** it, anything to gain.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I didn't mention before, but I'm trying to get a job in a labor union with my friend. Much better pay than most places, they start you out at $16 an hour. Anyway, I don't know if unions or more or less strict with the whole food thing.

bigflex0

bigflex0

Awards
If you can drink water or coffee you can drink liquid meals. Keep powder in shaker, add water, consume. Hell this can be done in the bathroom if need be. Don't make this harder than it is. I think we over complicate these things. Say you work ten hours eat before work, eat at your break, eat after work. Add commute time of say half hour so a total of three meals in 11 hours. YOU WILL BE JUST FINE! Unless you make your living bodybuilding you should work it around your life not your life around it.

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
just a tip, read the ingredients on protein bars and check for inulin, inulin makes you feel full and will decrease your appetite, you don't want that, on cycle you want to eat more so avoid it if possible
That is one ingredient that that bar does not have. :)

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Or you could always give IF a try. Makes life easy if you just snack or fast until you get home for the day.
^ soooooo convenient ^ if you're unable to get breaks/have a fridge/etc..

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I didn't mention before, but I'm trying to get a job in a labor union with my friend. Much better pay than most places, they start you out at $16 an hour. Anyway, I don't know if unions or more or less strict with the whole food thing.
Unions make damn sure you get your 2 15 minute breaks & your 30 minute lunch.

Source: Myself-BNSF union flunkie for 9 years. Never...NEVER missed a break. :)

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Unions make damn sure you get your 2 15 minute breaks & your 30 minute lunch.

Source: Myself-BNSF union flunkie for 9 years. Never...NEVER missed a break. :)
Ah awesome :) thanks, you've definitely put my mind at ease.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have been sitting through an OSHA class all week, and you should see the looks I get for bringing my own food... :biglaugh:

5 day at a time meal prep FTW.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I have been sitting through an OSHA class all week, and you should see the looks I get for bringing my own food... :biglaugh:

5 day at a time meal prep FTW.
Hahaha. This subject doesn't come up often enough. I left healthcare after 9 years and to get over 230 lbs I would have to eat 5 times per shift, i was on my feet just waaaay too much.. I work in an office now with all girls that maybe eat twice a day... meanwhile on my 3rd breakfast, I have to get one dumba$$ comment per day.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hahaha. This subject doesn't come up often enough. I left healthcare after 9 years and to get over 230 lbs I would have to eat 5 times per shift, i was on my feet just waaaay too much.. I work in an office now with all girls that maybe eat twice a day... meanwhile on my 3rd breakfast, I have to get one dumba$$ comment per day.
We're doing this training at a hotel; I found out D1 that we could eat their breakfast so I've been SHREDDING that, then eating another 3-4 times during the day.

Today I had to ask for a room key so I could get at a microwave to heat up my lunch. People think I'm batshyt crazy.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I've been carrying a backpack for 4 years to work. It has supplements, nuts, protein powder, etc. I used to have turkey chili and tuna with plastic forks and a can opener. When I had a revoked license and would be stranded waiting for a ride after work, I'd open a can of each, mix em up and eat cold. Nothing like a 240 pound guy in scrubs on a park bench eating out of a can.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Fix your meals and carry them to work in a lunch kit. When you are ready for that meal go sit down and eat. If the boss says anything you respond "Not while I'm fueling the machine bro." Or "I'm carbing up bro." Or "Bro I'm bulking " all of these are acceptable answers for puny bosses

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
find a job that gives you the freedom to eat when you want.........hell if im in the office I can eat every hour on the hour if I want and nobody says anything. now if im at a plant site I will pre-pack 3-4 shaker cups with 50g of protein and 35g of carbs and just go get them from the car and add water....

if you want to do it you will find away. best of luck growing bigger

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
find a job that gives you the freedom to eat when you want.........hell if im in the office I can eat every hour on the hour if I want and nobody says anything. now if im at a plant site I will pre-pack 3-4 shaker cups with 50g of protein and 35g of carbs and just go get them from the car and add water....

if you want to do it you will find away. best of luck growing bigger
^this^ ^this^ and more ^this^

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Quest bars. Whey protein. Pack food. Or try intermittent fasting