Had to tell some one

mayhem99

mayhem99

Awards
So I wasn't sure where to post this as I don't really post much but I just rep a Pr on my bench press its not impressive but it is to me since I have struggled with my bench for over a year+ and after FINALLY getting some coaching on form broke 205 for a double freaking pumped. I know 205 isn't heavy but bench is my weakest lift at of all. I am only 5'7" 160 lbs and I squat 250lbs Dead lift 350lbs for triples. I have only been at this for about 1.5 years and I started at a really really crap point. I used to be a alcoholic. SOOOOO I just had to tell SOME ONE IN THIS WORLD what I did figured why not here.

Scratch that I got mad and rep 225 Goal reached time to move on REALLY happy.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hey, good job. Go git-em. You'll be looking back in 18 months trying to delete this thread because you'll be repping 335x3. Alcohol and painkillers and an injury robbed me of 20 pounds of hard earned muscle. Stay sober and your life will be soooooooo much better!

ForumRunner_20130803_142324.png

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Oh and BTW, you squat more than I do right now. And I'm 227

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Oh yea, one more thing. You are going to freaking love the sound of plates clinking on bench!

mayhem99

mayhem99

Awards
Hey thanks. I lift to stay sober I pretty much just replaced the drinking with lifting that is way hitting records means so much to me I think.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hey thanks. I lift to stay sober I pretty much just replaced the drinking with lifting that is way hitting records means so much to me I think.
Me too buddy. Just keep in mind when life hits you hard and you can't lift. Do u have another way out? Cuz I can tell u alcohol will come to mind and it'll be worse that time than the last...... good luck

mayhem99

mayhem99

Awards
Me too buddy. Just keep in mind when life hits you hard and you can't lift. Do u have another way out? Cuz I can tell u alcohol will come to mind and it'll be worse that time than the last...... good luck
I am not sure if you are religious or not but I did find that god and the bible are a big help to me when things get rough.

roblasane

roblasane

Awards
Numbers don't mean crap . It's great to hit PR's but it's about stimulating the muscle and always using good form to avoid injury.

I know a guy who thinks he squats 300 but he barley moves the weight down . Dropping to 135 he couldn't get 12 reps using the correct form. Once you can get past the ego and not give a crap what others think at the gym you'll have the best gains ever . Just my opinion . Good luck !!

wicked442

wicked442

Board Sponsor
Awards
Congrats on the pr bro. All the weight is big when its your pr! Good job.

mayhem99

mayhem99

Awards
Numbers don't mean crap . It's great to hit PR's but it's about stimulating the muscle and always using good form to avoid injury.

I know a guy who thinks he squats 300 but he barley moves the weight down . Dropping to 135 he couldn't get 12 reps using the correct form. Once you can get past the ego and not give a crap what others think at the gym you'll have the best gains ever . Just my opinion . Good luck !!
I agree completely I don't max lift much most work my 5x5 and go for form I just wanted to see what I could do.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I am not sure if you are religious or not but I did find that god and the bible are a big help to me when things get rough.
I am, yes. And He has helped me tremendously.

oldguns

Awards
  • Established

The only numbers that mean anything are the ones you do using correct form.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Congrats on the PR and sobriety.

<<<Sober since April 2011.

mayhem99

mayhem99

Awards
Jan 5th 2012 first birthday sober best one I ever had

LivingStrongE

Awards
Awesome brother! looking solid. Glad you hit that PR and also changed your life around. I wish you the best brother.

wicked442

wicked442

Board Sponsor
Awards
Feb 2009- last time substance abuse played a part in my life. Im thankfull more every day.
Congrats on sobriety to you as well.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
High five to all of you for a new and healthy life! Congrats on the PR!

rockwholesale

Awards
Congrats Man! Your first rep with two full plates on it can be quite a nerve wrenching one. I'll never forget the first time that I had two plates on each side, almost like the first time I rode a bike!

mayhem99

mayhem99

Awards
Congrats Man! Your first rep with two full plates on it can be quite a nerve wrenching one. I'll never forget the first time that I had two plates on each side, almost like the first time I rode a bike!
Thanks! Wont lie and say I wasn't a little on the nerves side looking back at those 45's on the bar. I just made up my mind what comes to my chest MUST go back up and I wasn't giving it a option. I about came unglued when I rack that bar and realized I push 225. It was a big moment for me.