Advice

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
This was my first board ever. I got into lifting after a long career with drugs and alcohol. I knew this board for having a lot of new people to lifting and a lot of vets willing to help. A newbie at the time received advice from people that are no longer around so I thought I’d step up and lend some advice to the new newbie’s.
Some you’ve heard before and some maybe not. None of these are in a specific order of importance.
1. Do not waste your money on every new supplement that comes out. Stay with the staples of what is proven to work. Creatine (whatever form), Whey protein (isolate preferably), Beta-alanine works well with creatine, NO products (AAKG), Multi vitamin, caffeine. Now don’t believe the hype that this newest form of the above mentioned is the best, it most certainly will cost the most but that doesn’t make it the best just because company XXX says their studies report it is. Buy generic powders and make the stuff yourself.
2. Get to know your core lifts and how to do them properly, Squats, deadlifts, rows of all kinds, bench presses of all kinds, curls and all these should be done with barbells or DB’s. Leave the machines for later. If you don’t know how to do them, ask the guy in the gym who you’ve seen doing them and ask him to help. Most guys will take that as a compliment rather than give you lip.
3. Stay away from PED’s for as long as you can. How will you know when that is? About 3 years after you think you’re ready. Truth be told it will be after 10+ years of serious lifting and knowing how to diet properly maybe longer. Those big guys you see in the gym got that way by using roids, plain and simple but what you can’t see is all the things that come along with using them. Subject to getting ripped off, possible prison sentence, all the side effects some of which are permanent and the most important one and that is once you use them you will not want to lift without them, lifting just won’t be the same when your off.
4. Spend more time on diet than lifting and spend more time on sleeping than lifting. These two are going to be your biggest obstacles and they will change all the time due to you getting older and your body becoming accustomed to what you do to it.

I will now leave it up to the vets here to add to this advice.