Never asking for a random spot ever again

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
ill do is in cliffs to make it easy

attempting bench press 255x5
none of my spotters around, gf's period started so she left early (fml)
ask fatass black dude on chest press machine for a spot (id estimate 50% bf and 380lbs, super fat)

right off the bat, he tells me my grip is too wide and im doing "superman" bench press. watever the hell those are
places his hands on my chest and pulls every rep up with my push
tells me to flatten my back because arching puts the weight on rotator cuff

rant mode on

i didnt know i asked the world's certified bench pressing sage how to fukin bench. he wanted me to narrow my grip to a close grip bo, then lay flat on the bench and press like that. asked if hes certified to give any advice. response is "i bench 315, i know what im doing." (cuz 315 is god-level streng for a 400lb fatass right? and ive never seen him go over 4 plates in the 10 months ive been at this gym)

my response : "well i am and what youre saying contadicts every single thing ive learned on bodybuilding and powerlifting forms of bench pressing. i arch my back to put the weight on my traps, not my rotator cuff. i dont need you anymore, go over there and do some curls" while looking at the squat rack. i was pretty irritated at that point so i was a little snappy

in the end, this fat bich stole at least a rep and a half out of 6 and idk if i should progress or keep the weight on monday. and im retty damn sure proper spot etiquette is to pull the bar up AFTER it stalls or goes back down, not right at the liftoff

never trust a fatass to spot. i think im gonna put that as my fukin signature now

/endrant

btw, dont go bashing my certification remark. i already know theyre hella stupid. but he didnt know that so i used it as a weapon

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
I hate when I have no choice but to ask a dumbass to spot me. I'd almost rather put the safety bars at chest level in the power rack and sacrifice alil ROM as the bar sits 2-3" above my chest. Too many times have I had the hover over handsy overly helpful dumb **** spotter douche. What part of "don't step up, don't touch the bar until I say the word" do these guys not understand.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
I hate when I have no choice but to ask a dumbass to spot me. I'd almost rather put the safety bars at chest level in the power rack and sacrifice alil ROM as the bar sits 2-3" above my chest. Too many times have I had the hover over handsy overly helpful dumb **** spotter douche. What part of "don't step up, don't touch the bar until I say the word" do these guys not understand.
lol exactly. "dont fukin touch the bar till i say so." its not like im gonna unrack the bar and itll instantly guilotine my fukin head off or somethin. my gf is my main spot because she knows how to do it right

peter01

peter01

Awards
  • Established
lol exactly. "dont fukin touch the bar till i say so." its not like im gonna unrack the bar and itll instantly guilotine my fukin head off or somethin. my gf is my main spot because she knows how to do it right
Hilarious. Actually Made me lol.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I hate asking for spots for this exact reason. I tend to ask the same people. Probably pisses them off but I would rather be safe.

JD261985

Banned
Awards

ask fatass black dude on chest press machine for a spot (id estimate 50% bf and 380lbs, super fat)

right off the bat, he tells me my grip is too wide and im doing "superman" bench press. watever the hell those are

rant mode on

i didnt know i asked the world's certified bench pressing sage how to fukin bench. he wanted me to narrow my grip to a close grip bo, then lay flat on the bench and press like that. asked if hes certified to give any advice. response is "i bench 315, i know what im doing." (cuz 315 is god-level streng for a 400lb fatass right? and ive never seen him go over 4 plates in the 10 months ive been at this gym)

my response : "well i am and what youre saying contadicts every single thing ive learned on bodybuilding and powerlifting forms of bench pressing. i arch my back to put the weight on my traps, not my rotator cuff. i dont need you anymore, go over there and do some curls" while looking at the squat rack. i was pretty irritated at that point so i was a little snappy

in the end, this fat bich stole at least a rep and a half out of 6 and idk if i should progress or keep the weight on monday. and im retty damn sure proper spot etiquette is to pull the bar up AFTER it stalls or goes back down, not right at the liftoff

never trust a fatass to spot. i think im gonna put that as my fukin signature now

/endrant

btw, dont go bashing my certification remark. i already know theyre hella stupid. but he didnt know that so i used it as a weapon
Cry about it lol...ffs THIS is what I call taking this shyt too seriously. You make it sound like the guy stole your lunch box or something...stole one and a half reps hahaha so glad I'm not like this

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
Cry about it lol...ffs THIS is what I call taking this shyt too seriously. You make it sound like the guy stole your lunch box or something...stole one and a half reps hahaha so glad I'm not like this
well at 166, i doubt you ever need a spot anyways

the point was that i asked for a spot, and got lectured by a fat fukin brofessor on how to bench improperly. then he potentially wasted a week of progression by stealing my reps. i could come back next time and redo 255x5 since i dont even know if i got it last time, or i could gamble and move on to 260

broken bottle

broken bottle

Awards
****ty experience got you some reps, better than none right?

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
dude im already a rep bank, i dont need to make a thread to get more points. and i use the app, where rep points seem to be nonexistant so i dont really care too much about them. and no one repped me here anyways

****ty experience indeed. i think im over it now and will just attempt to progress on monday. and if i have to do a random spot, im gonna go with the skinny shy kids or a girl. they wont tuch the bar till i say so lol

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd be pissed too, so I'm saying you're going full douche right here. Never go full douche.

OP-I hear you. Bad spots are sometimes as bad as getting buried. I hate random spotters.

texastea

Awards
The guy was doing you a favor and you whine about it?

Sent from my iPhone, slacking at work, using Tapatalk

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
The guy was doing you a favor and you whine about it?

Sent from my iPhone, slacking at work, using Tapatalk
a favor would of been to stand behind the bar for about 30 seconds while i do my set and catch the weight if i start to fail

not stand directly over me and tell me im benching incorrectly while throwing around some crap about using a flat back and close grip for more power. then putting his hands on my fuking chest rstricting ROM and pulling every damn rep on the liftoff.

at that point, the favor would of been to back to fuk up or leave cuz id rather get burried by the bar and someone come rescue me than what he did

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You ****ing racist man, against fat people lol

I hate bad spots, and when I spot I'll stay with them, but I don't put an once of force unless they are failing or give a signal. **** is annoying when you are breaking through a sticking point and people touch the bar.

For future reference do what I do, lay down the ground rules of how you would like the spot executed.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
You ****ing racist man, against fat people lol

I hate bad spots, and when I spot I'll stay with them, but I don't put an once of force unless they are failing or give a signal. **** is annoying when you are breaking through a sticking point and people touch the bar.

For future reference do what I do, lay down the ground rules of how you would like the spot executed.
i was thinking that too. but seems kinda douchey

"hey can i get a spot? dont touch the fukin bar though or ill tear your throat out"

joeblow1

Awards
i was thinking that too. but seems kinda douchey

"hey can i get a spot? dont touch the fukin bar though or ill tear your throat out"
I do this every time unless its someone that has spotted correctly for me on a regular basis. I simply go through a list of exactly what I need from them. I tell them lift off on 3 but only enough to clear the rack. Once I pull the bar into position and let it settle then let go, and don't touch it unless I say I need help. I then ask them if they understand and proceed to bench. I've learned over the years it's better to break it down to elementary level, instead of assuming they have sense. This will save you a lot of heartache and getting robbed on lifts.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
I do this every time unless its someone that has spotted correctly for me on a regular basis. I simply go through a list of exactly what I need from them. I tell them lift off on 3 but only enough to clear the rack. Once I pull the bar into position and let it settle then let go, and don't touch it unless I say I need help. I then ask them if they understand and proceed to bench. I've learned over the years it's better to break it down to elementary level, instead of assuming they have sense. This will save you a lot of heartache and getting robbed on lifts.
has a brofessor ever decided to spot you his way even though you told him how? id probly flip the fuk out

SChasEE

SChasEE

Awards
has a brofessor ever decided to spot you his way even though you told him how? id probly flip the fuk out
I've personally experienced this before, made me lose just a little more hope for mankind..

harbonah

harbonah

Awards
  • Established

rant mode on

/endrant

Seen it too often I just laugh 205 right now and can still push 315...and I don't hold a candle to some of the real strong guys around our town people just like to talk ****...the less someone knows the more **** they seem to spew.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
Seen it too often I just laugh 205 right now and can still push 315...and I don't hold a candle to some of the real strong guys around our town people just like to talk ****...the less someone knows the more **** they seem to spew.
and its always the ridiculously skinny guys that hold onto their abs for dear life, or the ridiculously fat dudes that think its all muscle. now days its not even possible to talk about the gym without some moron throwing in their ridiculous opinion, no matter how wrong they are

joeblow1

Awards
No they usually follow the directions pretty well. They would also have no reason to share any of their benching critiques with me as I am one of the biggest and the strongest in the gym. If a guy tried to impress me with his 315 max id just press it 15-20 times and laugh at him. Anywhere you go your gonna have ass clowns, you just have to learn to tolerate them. I also suggest you become friendly with a couple guys at the gym so that when you need a spot you can get someone you know to help you out. That way you can teach them the proper way to spot and don't get screwed over.

TexasGuy

Awards
OP,

The proper form of gym annoyance recovery is to wash the sand out of your vagina before logging on to the internet and whining like a bitch.

TexasGuy

Awards
well at 166, i doubt you ever need a spot anyways

the point was that i asked for a spot, and got lectured by a fat fukin brofessor on how to bench improperly. then he potentially wasted a week of progression by stealing my reps. i could come back next time and redo 255x5 since i dont even know if i got it last time, or i could gamble and move on to 260
Gamble and don't stop until you hit your five, even if you use an unprescribed rest-pause just this once to do it.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
OP,

The proper form of gym annoyance recovery is to wash the sand out of your vagina before logging on to the internet and whining like a bitch.
oh trust me, my vagina was plenty clean before i posted anything. your sister told me i had to or she wouldnt play tonsil hockey with me
:maturity vs maturity:

and yup im gambling it

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
Well at least he didn’t stand directly over you and hot box your nose with his grundle musk!
Lord knows that has happened to me a time or two.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
Well at least he didn't stand directly over you and hot box your nose with his grundle musk!
Lord knows that has happened to me a time or two.
Awful. Never ask a dude wearing shorts for a spot is a general rule of mine. I'm a fast learner;-)

PalmFist

PalmFist

Awards
Lol. I remember about 5-6 months ago when I was on 1alpha and just started making huge strength gains at my gym. I was working up to 315 one day and had just finished a set of 8 or more at 275 and it felt way light so I figured fck it I'll do 315 and see how it goes. I never workout with anyone because I prefer it that way. I've yet to meet someone who is willing to work at my level and not act like a douche. (I miss being active duty cuz I had a good buddy that understood what it took to go hard). So I ask one of these 3 relatively good shape larger dudes to come spot me and he says yes, no problem. I ask him not to touch the bar at all unless I ask. He looks at me with this attitude like I'm about to make an ass out of myself and he's gonna have to save me cuz he's so much bigger than I am. Asks if I need a lift off, I say no. I go on to rep out like 6 or 8 at 315 and the dude didn't even have to touch the bar. I just wanted him there for safety, nah mean? He then looks like he just saw the second coming and walks away! I laughed my ass off and then did a double drop to 225/135 just to spite him and his buddies...

This was when I was at 190 lbs btw

It was a good day. In conclusion, yes I hate asking for a spot cuz people usually show themselves to be an ass...

krazyg3o

krazyg3o

Awards
Understand the frustration, really dont like when people do the reps for you. Takes away from the gains imo even if you happen to get a few more reps. I almost tore my pec on the flat bench when I asked a random guy for a spot. Him and his kid im assuming, got on both sides and as I went down one didn't let go, then they switched, then they both held on. Nightmare

TexasGuy

Awards
oh trust me, my vagina was plenty clean before i posted anything. your sister told me i had to or she wouldnt play tonsil hockey with me
:maturity vs maturity:

and yup im gambling it
I'm sure you had a great time sucking her **** then. Bitch on I guess. Did your clean vagina let you up your work set in spite of the previous grit?

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
All this talk about vaginas is making me hungry!