Blotchy red rash from drinking alcohol

Buffspartan

Buffspartan

Awards
  • Established
So on Monday I had a really bad day at work so I decided to have a couple shots after work of some 80 proof ouzo. Naturally, don't drink very often because of the working out and such. When I do drink, I have quite a high tolerance for my size and usually don't get hangovers. In other words, I can handle my liquor. On Monday however, I developed a beet red face and a blotchy rash all over my arms and chest. Now this has happened a couple times before. Doesnt happen often, but the fact that it just happened again concerns me. Any idea what it is? Should I be worried? If it makes any difference, I was doing a liver cleanse at the same time. I'm just a little confused because I drank on Sunday also and didn't get these symptoms

Chops89

Chops89

Awards
  • Established
Allergic reaction possibly? One shot of whiskey and my father's head and sinuses clog up like he's got the worst cold ever. No other liquor does this. I honestly wouldn't be worried about your liver or anything. It typically takes quite a bit more than getting drunk from time to time to cause serious damage.

Buffspartan

Buffspartan

Awards
  • Established
Allergic reaction possibly? One shot of whiskey and my father's head and sinuses clog up like he's got the worst cold ever. No other liquor does this. I honestly wouldn't be worried about your liver or anything. It typically takes quite a bit more than getting drunk from time to time to cause serious damage.
I wasn't even really drunk....I had driven to a restaurant and when I sat down I was all blotchy

joh408

Awards
  • Established
This happens to my roommate every now and then. It's weird because he doesn't drink anything different (same beer, same liquors) and some nights he get really splotchy but most nights he is fine. If he keeps drinking it goes away so we have no explanation for why it happens.

Buffspartan

Buffspartan

Awards
  • Established
This happens to my roommate every now and then. It's weird because he doesn't drink anything different (same beer, same liquors) and some nights he get really splotchy but most nights he is fine. If he keeps drinking it goes away so we have no explanation for why it happens.
It does seem to happen after I haven't drank in a while. Also, all the times it has happened, I've been on high doses of prednisone

KimChee

KimChee

Awards
This happens to me when I get I drink, incidently my friends used to call me the "red bandit" because a red outline of a mask would go over my face. I've had drinks with a lot of Asian people before and collectively as a group we get the redness a lot more than other people I have had drinks with in the past...

Buffspartan

Buffspartan

Awards
  • Established
This happens to me when I get I drink, incidently my friends used to call me the "red bandit" because a red outline of a mask would go over my face. I've had drinks with a lot of Asian people before and collectively as a group we get the redness a lot more than other people I have had drinks with in the past...
I just read that people with a lower alcoholism risk often get it and something to do with a lack of a certain enzyme maybe. Idk, I'm just wondering if I should be worried

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
I was just gonna mention Asian people . Alot of my Asian friends would get red and blotchy after even one beer. A few wouldn't drink because they said they were allergic due to this reaction. They pop extacy instead lol not really an equal trade off.

Buffspartan

Buffspartan

Awards
  • Established
I was just gonna mention Asian people . Alot of my Asian friends would get red and blotchy after even one beer. A few wouldn't drink because they said they were allergic due to this reaction. They pop extacy instead lol not really an equal trade off.
Time to start doing Molly hahahah!

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
Time to start doing Molly hahahah!
****, the electronic music festival is coming up soon here. Means everyone I know that ill be running into will be doing that crap. I admit that I like the feeling on it but not worth the dumb dumbs the next day or so. Also I don't get nice and lovey on that crap and I hate all the chatty smoke people blow up your ass while on it. It just turns me into a stand up comedian.

michelle82

Awards
So on Monday I had a really bad day at work so I decided to have a couple shots after work of some 80 proof ouzo. Naturally, don't drink very often because of the working out and such. When I do drink, I have quite a high tolerance for my size and usually don't get hangovers. In other words, I can handle my liquor. On Monday however, I developed a beet red face and a blotchy rash all over my arms and chest. Now this has happened a couple times before. Doesnt happen often, but the fact that it just happened again concerns me. Any idea what it is? Should I be worried? If it makes any difference, I was doing a liver cleanse at the same time. I'm just a little confused because I drank on Sunday also and didn't get these symptoms
I'm a foreign medical graduate. I'm not going to go into chemical/physiological details. But this happens because your body metabolizes alcohol in a very fast way. Even though it doesn't make you feel the buzz regarding the amount. There's a genetic variation and this breaks down alcohol in a different way, meaning faster and it converts it into something else, to long and complex to explain. This is common in people from Asia. They do have this genetic variation as well. This is known as Asian glow. Don't worry it ain't dangerous.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
I'm a foreign medical graduate. I'm not going to go into chemical/physiological details. But this happens because your body metabolizes alcohol in a very fast way. Even though it doesn't make you feel the buzz regarding the amount. There's a genetic variation and this breaks down alcohol in a different way, meaning faster and it converts is into something else, to long and complex to explain. This is common in people from Asia. They do have this genetic variation too. This is known as Asian glow. Don't worry it ain't dangerous.
Yummy , love me some Asian glow ;-)

KimChee

KimChee

Awards
Heh, I liked my buddies calling me the "red bandit" back in the day lol

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
Sounds like its time for fight or flight on the booze