The ugly side of steroide use.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
posted by masswithclass on MMI earlier today.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alot of you people know me, but for those who don't i'm a 2 time state middleweight Pa State champion in the NPC. I also took it to the next level 2 times competing at Nationals for the allmighty PRO card. I recently was diagnosed with Renal Kidney Failure, that means basically my kidney are shutting down. I need dialysis 3 times a week for 4 hours a session to stay alive. Kidney problems do not run in my family, nobody in my family has ever had a kidney related issue.
You have to realize there are consiquenses to your actions with AAS, do not think that you are invinsible.
I was recently prepping for the state championships, i figured this is my year for the overall state title Mr Pennsyvania and it was balls to the wall. About 6 weeks out i started throwing up every day sometimes 2 times a day, my ankles were holding water and my skin was turning very pale and i was so fatigued but i pushed on anyway thinking i was being a pussy. Finally it got so bad i could harly breathe and was truely afraid that something very serious was wrong. I went to the doctor for bloodwork, he sent it out stat the next thing i know he called me and wanted me in the hospital NOW. I went to intensive care where they gave me 4 units of blood and blood pressure meds, turns out my kidney's where shutting of and have been doing so for some time now. I went from prepping for a state title to having a doctor sitting in front of me telling me "you need a transplant". If i would have had bloodwork and payed attention to it i would more than likey not been in this grim position. Nobody talks about the bad side of steroids on these boards, so i just wanted you to know what you are getting into. I don't mean to lecture, i was asked to write this piece to make people realize there is a bad side about steroids that most people are in denial about.
Thank you for listening and hopefully i can help some of you from being in the same position as me some day.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
on a further note, he posted this.

I am a non drinker, non smoker, i have had a very strict diet since 1996 always lean. I have to say that i have also taken the ephedrine, caffeine, aspirin stack since 1991 nonstop, and nsaids for joint and muscle pain. Once again this is not in my genes and i am only 37. We all know anadrol, d-bol, winny, halo, and tren are harsh substances, but the quest for size blinds us to the negative aspects of these drugs. I'm not saying don't do them, that is a personal choice but at least be careful.

Strateg0s

Awards
  • Established
Wow, that's bad news. Very sorry to hear it happen to you.

To help prevent anything like this happening to anyone else, can you tell us what you think it might have been that did it to you? For instance which of those harsh substances you think you may have used in excess, or which one did you in, if you can pick out any one more than the others. Were you on any sort of kidney support supplements, as many people take liver support supplements?

That's really rough, man. I hope you are able to get a transplant, and that you can get back to normal - or I guess to a more healthy and moderate than normal. Size can't make up for what you're going through.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
ECA, NSAIDS and Methylated steroids, likely to excess, seems like a bad combo. It is still a poignant reminder that these are not supplements or toys.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
Wow, that's bad news. Very sorry to hear it happen to you.

To help prevent anything like this happening to anyone else, can you tell us what you think it might have been that did it to you? For instance which of those harsh substances you think you may have used in excess, or which one did you in, if you can pick out any one more than the others. Were you on any sort of kidney support supplements, as many people take liver support supplements?

That's really rough, man. I hope you are able to get a transplant, and that you can get back to normal - or I guess to a more healthy and moderate than normal. Size can't make up for what you're going through.
****, it's not me bro. just posting it up to give everyone their fair warning and to play it as safe as possible.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I'd say it was a combination of ECA stack and methyls. Being on ECA since 1991? That's a plan for disaster. Anytime I hear of stories such as this orals are always abused.

So for all you foolish people that are stacking methyls the **** will and can hit the fan. We recommend one methyl at a time for a reason.

Brodus

Banned
Awards
  • Established
When people say they've been on the ECA stack forever, what do you think they're dosing is?

I've taken it off an on for at least a year, but most of the time I only take 4 pills in a whole week, so it's not quite the same thing as 3-6 a day.

Either way, point made and point taken. "Toughing it out" sometimes can mean the difference between healthy and very ill.

EDIT:

Also, aside from bloodwork, ancillaries, and common sense, I was trying to think of other "red flags" that a person could watch for. For instance, monitoring blood pressure daily. What would be a blood pressure that would be considered "dangerous" or "high?"

The only problem is, some of the sides he reported-->swollen ankles from water retention, trouble breathing, puking-->these happen to a lot of people whenever they are putting on weight rapidly. And if you played sports, you have a pain tolerance for these kind of things, and just keep pushing on.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
The ECA thing bugs me too. If it's abused like that and in high doses..I can just imagine adding some high dose Ibuprofen or Tylenol during a long Anadrol cycle.

We've also seen before that some people can train so hard that they can stress their kidneys badly even without the added drugs.

Yeah I had swollen ankels and shortness of breath on my last 4Ad/M,1,4 AD cycle..so this report kinda freaks me out. It's important to keep it all in perspective though.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Also, aside from bloodwork, ancillaries, and common sense, I was trying to think of other "red flags" that a person could watch for. For instance, monitoring blood pressure daily. What would be a blood pressure that would be considered "dangerous" or "high?"
  • Normal at or Less than 120/less than 80 mm Hg;
  • Pre-Hypertension, 120-139/80-89 mm Hg;
  • Stage 1 Hypertension, 140-159/90-99 mm Hg;
  • Stage 2 Hypertension, at or greater than 160/at or greater than 100 mm Hg
These are basic number guidlines.

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
At this point in time, I don' need to be hearing the bad **** about AAS use! :(

Hope things get better for that dude. Work a large portion of your life to reach a goal only to have the rug pulled from under you.

Strateg0s

Awards
  • Established
****, it's not me bro. just posting it up to give everyone their fair warning and to play it as safe as possible.
Whew. I thought, man, first you puke up blood and end up in the hospital, then your kidneys get SHOT through. Damn. Well, be thankful it ain't you I guess.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
Whew. I thought, man, first you puke up blood and end up in the hospital, then your kidneys get SHOT through. Damn. Well, be thankful it ain't you I guess.
yeah, no ****. if this was me as well, i'd definately have to find another hobby.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
I would think the NSAID's were probably the biggest cause of the kidney problem. Several pro football players in the 80's had major kidney problems due the high doses of Motrin they were taking for extended periods of time. They didn't know about the danger of overuse of that particular substance. All they knew, was that they needed something to help kill the pain.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well competitors take so much **** its hard to say it was the steroids. I don't know what all he took but if he was using diuretics I'd say that would be the major cause. Also Tom Prince got messed up from taking Ibeprofin for long periods of time. He said the dr told him it probably wasn't the gear but the abuse that ibeprofin that did him in. Also a heads up to some that don't know tylenol is very toxic also.

Brodus

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Popping Tylenol at the end of a night of heavy drinking to prevent hangovers is also a VERY bad idea.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
You just have to laugh at the irony. Tylenol has been proven outright in several hundred liver failures and deaths and its legal, yet the vaugue and sometimes unsubstaniated side-effects of AAS get it on the scheduled drug list with prison penalites for those using or selling.

Talon

Awards
You just have to laugh at the irony. Tylenol has been proven outright in several hundred liver failures and deaths and its legal, yet the vaugue and sometimes unsubstaniated side-effects of AAS get it on the scheduled drug list with prison penalites for those using or selling.
Also penecillin causes severe allergic reactions in some people yet it's still legal. Aspirin kills hundreds if not thousands a year from overdosing, yet Ephedra is now illegal. Go figure.

builtolast

Awards
yeah, no ****. if this was me as well, i'd definately have to find another hobby.
Yeah, this is definitely why I'm gonna be careful not to take this hobby TOO seriously all at once. Taking it one step at a time, with very slow steps, while being very smart/safe with supplement use...hopefully that guarantees a longer, happier time with this hobby for me. Also, I think people need to really, really relax on the AAS, slin, etc. early on. I have buddy's who've just started M1T (i helped, ooops!) and already are looking for the next biggest thing, while at the same time don't even know how to train/eat/sleep right! Some of these guys think they're actually going to become the next Mr.Olympia, and start popping right away. It's really kinda sad.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
The ECA thing ED is insane. Like Brodus said that had to have a lasting effect on the system. Honestly, it's like being on speed every hour of everyday. The crash from Ephedra is so bad I hardly ever use it these days, I can't believe I used to take that stuff more than 2 times a week.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is not good.

Read me very closely:
If i would have had bloodwork and payed attention to it i would more than likey not been in this grim position.
Bloodwork does not make us invincible, but it sure does keep us informed on our overall health condition.

I was thinking the other night how since I began using these substances responsibly I am more aware of many aspects of my health than I ever was before. I know the condition of the vital stats of my health as a result of behaving responsibly when using these substances. How many people (young men) know their liver and lipid profiles BP, etc., at all, never mind those using and abusing steroids.

Still not imune to the possibility of health matters, but will certainly have a very good baseline to work with to know when I even begin to seriously risk my health.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
I think that most of us here are Type A personalities, when what something...we want it, and damn anything in our way. I think we need to stop and smell the flowers. Training is only a part of life, not life. I have seen in my 18yrs in and out of gyms, alot of people that would do anything for size or cuts. You all have seen them on the boards, "Hey guys help me with a cycle. I am 22yrs old 5'10-180lbs and I have been training for 4 months. Now my first cycle I want to include Test-B, Trenabol, two orals, that Ige thing, some growth hormone, and insulin. Can you all help becuase I just got it yesterday."
What I think I question the most are two things: First does any rec BBer need to do all that? Insulin, GH, Igf-1 10 cycles a year? Why? I can understand gear and Igf-1. I can also get GH if your older and need some help in that area. But I don't think anyone who is not competeing should be useing insulin or lasix (sp?) I know, I know it's your body. It is your body and you only have one, bub. Second (I know this is herasey in the BBing world) more people should be better conditioned. Spend some time traing like a boxer or MMA guy. The old time BBer like Eder, Grimick, Reeves, all where in great shape and strong. Both Grimick and Eder could do one arm pullups..for reps! So to me, unless you are competeing in PL or BBing, slow down and get some perspective.

farmer

Awards
If I remember correctely, there are a little over 14,000 cases a year of hospitalization directly related to chronic tylenol use. I don't remember the numbers, but I believe about 5000 of those ended in death and a substantial number more had irreversible liver impairment. And all this is documented as being directly caused by tylenol.

It took over ten years for roughly 150 deaths to blamed on ephedrine, and even then, no direct link could be proven. An overweight guy who never exercises goes out in 100+ degree weather for a jog and kills over with a heart attack. What do you expect. Yet, you see the blame went to ephedrine. There's never any doubt about who's putting money in the politicians pockets and who's not.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
ECA is good stuff if not abused, daily use is definitly abuse.
Like anything in life i suppose...

chasec

Pityin' fools since '81
Awards
  • Established
wow,

my bloodpressure has gotten pretty bad before, but i always shrugged it off with the knowledge that it would go back down eventually. really makes you stop and think for a second...

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Also penecillin causes severe allergic reactions in some people yet it's still legal. Aspirin kills hundreds if not thousands a year from overdosing, yet Ephedra is now illegal. Go figure.
That would be me. Can't take anything with cillin at the end of it or I could die. Makes meds expensive as hell when I need something along those lines.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
On the ephedrine note- I used it for about 5 years straight when I was in the military to help me get thru some of my training but mainly to help keep my weight down.(The military's weight standards are based on height) I'm 5'7" so my max was 175 and I could barely get under 200. My family is just short and stocky. So I had to get a weight waiver which means they give you a bodyfat test and if you're under 15% you weren't overweight. I was consistantly at 7-9%. I used a 25mg ephedrine tab(mini thin) 200 mgs caffeine and 1 aspirin just about every day, sometimes 3 times a day. Now this was before all the deaths "blamed" on ephedra and all the research and info at the time said it was safe. It also said that a tolerance to the sides would build up but the thermogenic properties would stay the same. I was not using roids at all during this period. I did build up a tolerance to the sides to the point where I no longer got a buzz from the stack. I had numerous physicals during this time and never had any health problems heart/bp or otherwise. Knowing what I know now though, even though I firmly believe ECA to be safe, I would not use it like that again. I think some of the health problems we might experience come from combining different drugs rather than each alone. We all want to think everything is safe and we're being safe, but really there isn't any long term human data to tell us what might lie ahead for us. The scary thing for me is, I've never thought of an age or a point where I might quit juicing. After reading what happened to this guy I'm definitely going to rethink my priorities. Even though roids aren't nearly the danger that the media portrays them to be, safe is better than sorry. Or maybe I'll just switch from test and drol to anavar and primo.:D

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
We have to keep in mind that we don't know..

1. the dosages of ECA he was using
2. the dosages of NSAIDS he was using or even what kind(although kidneys scream out ibuprofen)
3. the kind, dosage or duration of steroids used

and that's just for starters.

size

Awards
  • Established
Please do not be delusional and believe that using AAS does not have consequences. AAS can lead to if not create serious health issues. Often I feel that this gets lost in the minds of many users.

It is far to common that that I read about cycles containing grams of AAS compounds. I have always be an advocate of safe and moderate cycling. Moderate dose cycles may not lead to the massive gains but it may result in living a healthier life.

Last edited:

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Good point size, all too often, I get the feeling many users seem to be bent on multiple cycles every year. I for one will try to keep my lifetime exposure to the minimum.