What's up guys? Hope you're all training and dieting well!
As the title says, I need some help with something. Today I was doing arms in the gym and the particular training schedule I had planned incorporated hammer curls. In the gym I go to, the dumbbell handles are a mixture of plastic and metal and so after a few sets when they get a bit sweaty it's difficult to keep the hammer curl grip as the dumbbell slides down. So I use a little chalk. But not just for arm days, I use chalk for leg days when I'm deadlifting, back days when I'm doing shrugs and rows and chest days when I'm benching and doing flyes. I was approached by a manager of the gym I go to (rudely in the middle of a set which started to annoy me) and asked not to use chalk. I asked why and these were his arguments:
1) It's messy
2) It's bad for asthmatic people
3) The gym doesn't allow it because it's "not a professional weight lifting gym"
1) Chalk disappears with a wipe of a hand. Hardly messy (and I'm a tidy guy anyway). Further, is sweat not messy? All the drips of sweat and the leftovers on the benches? Does the gym not allow sweating?
2) Granted, chalk is probably bad for an asthmatic person. However, if one person using chalk (and I'm the only one) is enough to cause a health hazard for a such a person, he/she must be severely asthmatic which begs the question: why is he/she in a gym anyway?
3) What constitutes a "professional weight lifting gym"? There are free weights present, people lift them, it is a weight lifting gym. Further, there is nothing in the terms and conditions which I agreed to which states that chalk is not allowed. Weight lifting belts are allowed for back support; why is chalk apparently not allowed for grip support?
I'm in the process of writing a formal complaint so I can possibly allow the use of chalk (even if I'm the only one). My questions for the forum are, what is wrong with chalk? Am I in the right or in the wrong? If not/if so, why? What are your opinions on the matter?
Thank you for reading and I look forward to your opinions!