Dimebag Darrell Dead

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Now, this just sucks. The mixed reports I am getting is that Damageplan was playing at the Al Rosa Villa in Columbus, OH tonight when a man forced his way through the backdoor, walked on stage, and began shooting band members. So far I've heard everything from 3-5 people dead. All I know as confirmed dead are Dimebag and the shooter himself. Other reports include Vinnie Paul and a bouncer.

As a Pantera fan, native of Columbus, and former bouncer at a larger music venue there than this one, this whole thing stinks for me. It's hard to speculate if this could have been avoided. You can pat down, wand people, and put a barackade with all the bouncers you want behind it in front of the stage, but a gun-toting cuntface with a mission comes to the backdoor and it's hard to avoid any tragedy from taking place. I feel for the owners of this rat nest of an awesome club that has always stood for up and coming metal/rock acts for as long as I've known, and the families of those involved. Cheers to the cop who took his shotty(so I've heard) to this shithead, but sorry you had to do it.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I just heard about this a few minutes ago...sucks.

I just wish they didn't kill the shooter so quickly so they could torture him slowly...I mean, I just don't see why people have to kill people for no damn good reason! :rant:

taffer

Awards
what!! no way, i cant belive it!!!
pantera were awesome :( DIMEBAG!!!!!!!

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
Dime and Vinny?! GODDAMNIT!!!!!!!!!
Two of the best rockers to ever come out of Texas...well I know what I'm gonna do tomorrow. Gonna get a six pack of Shiner and rock out to the COWBOYS FROM HELL!!!

tattoopierced1

Definatly going to be playing some Pantera tonight during the workout...what a sad day it is...this is going to make everyone's concert going experience much different now that this has happened....

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
"But evil people...will go from bad to worse..."

2 Timothy 3:13 (NET)

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
All I can say There are alot of sick Fucks in this world....Excuse my French!

Odessa14

Awards
  • Established
A sad and tragic day in the world of music....

Pantera was one of the best...

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Damn this really sux. An end to a legend. . . RIP.

Brodus

Banned
Awards
  • Established
It's super f'd up B/C it happened on the same day as the Lennon assassination...I know b/c I played a show last night and played a Lennon song in commemeration...got home and saw this news...very eerie.

So sad that this kind of thing happens. What a tragedy, and what a total waste.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
this is going to make everyone's concert going experience much different now that this has happened....
I don't really see how. The guy forced his way in through the backdoor. The only thing that could have stopped this would be armed security staff, or cops doing extra duty. If a person is on a mission to kill people, tragedy is going to happen.

I worked concerts for 3 years in columbus, and out here in CO for a few months. In Columbus, I worked everything from local acts with 30 people showing up, to arena shows at the horseshoe. If we thought there was any chance of violence or excessive drug use we had people empty pockets, patted them down, and sometimes used wands. There was always a barackade in front of the stage with at least two guys by it and always a guy at the backdoor with a handset. I know these measures are not taken at the Al Rosa, but even if they were, they had no means of stopping an armed shooter. At the larger events, sure, we had cops there, but even a few seconds is a long time to get to someone before shots are fired.

Now, the club I worked at here was much like the ARV in terms of it being a small venue and minimum on the security. Their philosophy on secuirty is why I quit. The owners and managers cared more about the gate and bar than they did about the safety of their staff. They just wanted the image of a seceurity staff, not the enforcement of one. Not to mention putting me in front of a stage with no barrackade during a sold out metal show, and having the owners tell us to let the crowd go unless a large fight ensues was no place I wanted to be. The Ohio incident might change the "concert going experience" here a little as far as bumping measures up to where they should be, but I still do not see how it could stop something like this from happening short of arming the staff, which is never going to happen.

FOCUS

Board Supporter
Awards
RIP

I've trampled on that road
That you think you own
You have that "smart ass" attitude
It's time to stop the fiction

I live it every day
While you're mind's far away
I'm out here putting pride on the line
And you case on me with pure respect
One chance at one thing
Hard time is coming
My time, your pain
I reign on you

[Pre]
You think you own
I take away
Take it with me
You think you own
I took away
Made it my own

[Chorus]
Most regular people would say it's hard
And any streetwise son of a bitch knows
Don't **** with this

The so many times
You practice in your mirror
To be just like me
But you just can't see
You ain't got the balls, son

I fight for love of brother
Your friends fight one another
You can't see because your head's up your ass
And just in cast you think you're bad
I crush your rush
I rule YOU fool
I'm immovable stone in your world of weak -- I speak

Pantera's "Regular People" from album "Vulgar Display of Power"

Much Respect

Brodus

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If a person is on a mission to kill people, tragedy is going to happen.
Very true, unfortunately. I've been playing shows for the past seven years, and MOST venues simply don't have the budget for security and wands and everything.

After seeing all I have, I think we're all lucky that **** doesn't go down more often. MOST situations are not secure, and even when they are, it only takes a psycho half an ounce of determination to **** it all up.

Prime example, the Double Door in Chicago. DamagePlan would have played there. It's a smaller venue that has national acts. Security is minimal. No pat downs, no metal detectors, etc. You can buy crack, crank, or anything else in the alley. And this is a major venue. If the Al Rosa was like this, they're very lucky more people weren't killed.

The only thing I could see happening is giving security tasers...or at least more money and billy clubs. The **** they have to put up with on a nightly basis is ridiculous. One of the most important jobs at a show, and one that is thankless. I sympathize with the guys who worked that show.

The real tragedy is that everytime **** like this happens, not only are the victims harmed, but all of the future concert goers, who have endure searches, static, bad vibes, etc., b/c one jackass decided to go out with a headline.

Did any of you realize the significance of the date this occured? Exactly 24 years after Lennon's assassination.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Brodus: I realized that... it's fuckin unbelievable.
Uranium (a heavy metal show) is asking for all fans to play "Floods" at 9 PM CST.
http://www.uraniummusic.com/

ManBeast

XxCrisisxX

Awards
<Sigh> This entire incident is very depressing. I have been a Pantera fan since I was 13. I have all their albums, tapes, some shirts, you name it. Last night I even put on "The Great Southern Trendkill" to workout to. Pumps me the **** up. As a musician (drummer), Pantera was one of my biggest influences and I attribute much of my drumming from Vinne Paul and Pantera as a whole.

Im still pretty shocked by the whole thing. I keep asking myself "why did this happen? What was the purpose?" And the worst part is, I'll probaly never know. It kills me.

RIP Dimebag.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Does anybody know if Vinny Paul is OK?

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
Does anybody know if Vinny Paul is OK?
bump..

now my pantera t-shirt i love to train in will have even more of a sad, sentimental vibe than when the band broke up.. yeah this sucks.

chasec

Pityin' fools since '81
Awards
  • Established
vinny paul is fine. well not fine, but he didn't get shot. losing your brother must be tough.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
RIP Darrell. You were the best and cannot be replaced.

Pirate!

Pirate!

Awards
  • Established
I guess no one will ever know why he did it. Too bad that fucker died. The cops should have shot his balls and knees and let him live long enough to pay.

R.I.P to a legend

donk

Awards
It was only 6-7 months ago I was at a show with Damage Plan and Hatebreed. Dimebag bust out a 5min solo it was badass and made my ears bleed. It sucks when a legend goes.

Next thursday I am suposed to see Slayer and Killswitch. I hope they don't cancel.

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
The whole thing is just ridiculous, one of the greatest shredders ever and from what most people say, one of the best people you could ever meet. Absolutely sickening.

RIP Darrel

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I hang out at the Pearl Drummer's forum, and since Vinnie is endorsed by Pearl, I have it on very very good word that he is physically 100%.

ManBeast

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I cant imagine the pain the poor guy must be in right now, seeing his kid brother taken down like that. Decades of ass-kicking music, not to mention the countless bands and players they influenced, and this is how it ends. Its really a shame.

pestis

pestis

Awards
Anyone have any update on this. Pat Lachman, the singer is an old friend from the local music scene here. I have heard rumors that he was the only unnamed person who was shot in the incident. I also heard he was shot but is o.k. cant find any updates in the news.

This is truly tragic!!
RIP Dimebag!!

-2z-

Awards
  • Established
He was a great guy. Always willing to out drink you...lol. God bless his family...I can't imagine their pain. I'm originally from Arlington, so we used to run into him a lot.
I met him and Sterling when I started playing with a corporate band many years ago after I got outta college. We would do sports club gigs every now and then between private gigs and they would show up around 12:00pm and sometimes Dime would come up and play part of a set with us and he'd just start songs and you better damn well know 'em!......or at least how to fake it...lol. He just loved to play. He played at those little places, on someone elses gear, just like he was in front of 80,000 people. It was always an honor. I'll miss him.

On another note, I hear Pat and Vinnie are shaken, but un harmed.

Brodus

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The other people killed did not include Vinnie or the other band members, although 2 other band members were indeed shot. Just read it on an official board. The fatalities were Dimebag, a roadie, a stage hand, a bouncer, apparently an audience member, and the bastard shooter.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
The cop that blew that bastard away did an awesome job. I wish I could thank him personally. It really blows my mind that Dimebag Darrell is gone, I feel like I've lost a good friend.

donk

Awards
The cop that blew that bastard away did an awesome job. I wish I could thank him personally. It really blows my mind that Dimebag Darrell is gone, I feel like I've lost a good friend.
He was lucky the cop killed him. His ass would have so fucked, litterally in prison. He would have probable got killed there too. I don't think a lot of inmates would have been to happy with that guy. He got the easy way out.

-2z-

Awards
  • Established
My buddy brought me over a pic from his birthday party a few years ago. I had forgotten all about it.
It was him, his wife, another girl, and Dime being grabbed by Dave of Drowning Pool.

It's just weird to think that those two people are gone.
I miss those times.

p.s- Pat (lead vocals) was not injured.

SCORPIO

Awards
  • Established
sorry but hadnt been around in a while bros, been real busy. i remember hearing bout it the day after.....damn that sux!! that was my boy, one of my fav guitarist....feel like my bro is gone...god bless Dimes family and friends. Another man now a legend. RIP Dimebag Darrell.

Renton405

Awards
Sad, Dimebag always could blow Kirk Hammet outta the water as far as skill with the ax....His signature dimebag series guitar was such a trip...too bad for the loss

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
General Chat 12