Certified Personal Trainer

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Anyone get certified...
Had a few questions.
Is one organization more marketable than another?

Were test done online or at a testing site?

-Purus Labs Rep
(Mobile Posting)

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
Don't get an online cert they are ****. But as far as 'credibility' goes honestly no one cares haha get one of the top certain like ACE, NASM, or NSCA and you're fine. Got my cert and started training and no one has since asked who I am certified by. Pretty much all the trainers I work with agree. What does matter is your ability to rehabilitate and focus on injury prevention and fixing. Honestly thought training would be awesome and I could have my own little bodybuilding army but fact is the majority of people want functional training with foam rolling stretching and cardio. ( and are old women haha)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been a NSCA-CPT since '04. NSCA, ACSM, and NASM carry the most weight as far as credibility goes, but they're all a foot in the door.

lamonster14

lamonster14

Awards
Don't get an online cert they are ****. But as far as 'credibility' goes honestly no one cares haha get one of the top certain like ACE, NASM, or NSCA and you're fine. Got my cert and started training and no one has since asked who I am certified by. Pretty much all the trainers I work with agree. What does matter is your ability to rehabilitate and focus on injury prevention and fixing. Honestly thought training would be awesome and I could have my own little bodybuilding army but fact is the majority of people want functional training with foam rolling stretching and cardio. ( and are old women haha)
Why you no like foam rolling?
Jk

In all seriousness do as he mentioned but I would also go out on a limb and say the issa online cert is no joke. There's a large amount of info covered. The final is very comprehensive it took me about 4/5 hours to complete. I understand its not proctored but why in anyone's right mind would they want cheat an online final. You retain no information and it would most definitely show when your client asks questions and wants legitimate advice and guidance.

Knowledge is knowledge no matter how much you pay for it or what company slaps their logo on a piece of paper.

Some of the brighter and more experienced trainers I know don't even have certs.

Bottom line is you know what your teaching or you don't. I'd imagine if you don't know you won't be successful. You also need to keep learning because its a never ending process. The more you can grasp and retain the better off you will be.

napalm

napalm

Awards
<----studying for NSCA CSCS at the moment. Prolly take the exam around June-ish.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
stole this from a new interview with shelby starnes

Q: Do you have any certifications that pertain to the bodybuilding lifestyle (I.E. NASM, ISSA, degree in exercise sports, nutrition, etc)?
A: No, just a bachelor?s degree in psychology and a ton of experience.

i'd pick this guy to be my trainer over a majority of ppl with a certificate...they don't mean anything, results and experience talk very loudly

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I've been a NSCA-CPT since '04. NSCA, ACSM, and NASM carry the most weight as far as credibility goes, but they're all a foot in the door.
I had originally looked into ace.
Rodja I'm a lot you a pm I have a couple questions...

-Purus Labs Rep
(Mobile Posting)

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This I would most certainly go with one of these two over any others...

<----studying for NSCA CSCS at the moment. Prolly take the exam around June-ish.
Good luck bro I'll be joining in the not to distant future!

dont sweat it bro its a breeze!
Really? You CSCS Brah?!

- Valdez

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
napalm

napalm

Awards
Good luck bro I'll be joining in the not to distant future!
- Valdez
Txs bro, I'm going to take 6 months and finally do it. I'll prolly be the worlds oldest new CSCS.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
NASM seems the road to go down... not ace

-Purus Labs Rep
(Mobile Posting)

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
If your gonna go with one you wanna go with NASM. I have multiple certs that got me in the door but if you wanna stay in a place or move up in pay or level NASM is often required. You go to a testing place for the test. You do not want to get a online or weekend cert.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
If your gonna go with one you wanna go with NASM. I have multiple certs that got me in the door but if you wanna stay in a place or move up in pay or level NASM is often required. You go to a testing place for the test. You do not want to get a online or weekend cert.
Thx brother.

-Purus Labs Rep
(Mobile Posting)

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Anybody take the ACSM cert? I've had the study materials for a long time, but they are freaking wordy. I'm confident in my abilities, but I'm terrified to drop the money on the test, go out there, and bomb.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Anybody take the ACSM cert? I've had the study materials for a long time, but they are freaking wordy. I'm confident in my abilities, but I'm terrified to drop the money on the test, go out there, and bomb.
****... Anyone have a book they not using...

-Purus Labs Rep
(Mobile Posting)

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
****... Anyone have a book they not using...

-Purus Labs Rep
(Mobile Posting)
Dude, if you had asked me any time in the last three years, I would have said, "Yes, my ACSM stuff is out of my scope."

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just for a heads up you have to have a bachelors degree for your CSCS...

- Valdez

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Dude, if you had asked me any time in the last three years, I would have said, "Yes, my ACSM stuff is out of my scope."
I need the damn book that matches the course... :p

-Purus Labs Rep
(Mobile Posting)

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I need the damn book that matches the course... :p

-Purus Labs Rep
(Mobile Posting)
You mean you don't want my Flex magazine collection from high school, either? I heard those were basically the same thing. Damn, I really can't give them things away.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
You mean you don't want my Flex magazine collection from high school, either? I heard those were basically the same thing. Damn, I really can't give them things away.
If I'll pass reading that old ass ****, send em my way...

-Purus Labs Rep
(Mobile Posting)

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If I'll pass reading that old ass ****, send em my way...

-Purus Labs Rep
(Mobile Posting)
Hahahahahaha! There's no way they could do anything but hinder your exam performance. And just how old do you think I am, huh? I'm 23, that ****'s cutting edge!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just for a heads up you have to have a bachelors degree for your CSCS...

- Valdez
IIRC, you can take the exam without one, but I think you have to wait to actually receive the award until you earn your degree.

napalm

napalm

Awards
IIRC, you can take the exam without one, but I think you have to wait to actually receive the award until you earn your degree.
correct, you can take it as a senior but have to wait until graduation for the credential. the bachelors degree can be in anything, doesn't have to be ex phys, sci or kin...

MANotaur

MANotaur

Awards
correct, you can take it as a senior but have to wait until graduation for the credential. the bachelors degree can be in anything, doesn't have to ex ex phys, sci or kin...
Yeah mine are in health sciences and biology but a guy I work with has his and his ba iis in accounting

~ MANotaur

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
correct, you can take it as a senior but have to wait until graduation for the credential. the bachelors degree can be in anything, doesn't have to be ex phys, sci or kin...
Not that the credential is worth a damn, though.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Not that the credential is worth a damn, though.
It's better than most IMO, I'm taking it basically for no other reason than knowledge. Not sure exactly what I'm going to do with it yet.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
NASM seems the road to go down... not ace

-Purus Labs Rep
(Mobile Posting)
this right here. ssuming you live in US, there isnt a gym in the nation that doesnt accept NASM certifications. when i finished my cert, i got 3 interviews in the first week at low wage designer gyms. one at a 24hour sport, one at 24hour supersport, and one at a california family fitness. if you want to actually get paid, find a better career. otherwise youre gonna have to get lots of specialty certs and work low income where the gym takes all your money for a few years as well as getting a bachelor in a related science in order to get a real pt job.or youll have to open your own studio/practice, which could be risky but also super ridiculously rewarding

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
this right here. ssuming you live in US, there isnt a gym in the nation that doesnt accept NASM certifications. when i finished my cert, i got 3 interviews in the first week at low wage designer gyms. one at a 24hour sport, one at 24hour supersport, and one at a california family fitness. if you want to actually get paid, find a better career. otherwise youre gonna have to get lots of specialty certs and work low income where the gym takes all your money for a few years as well as getting a bachelor in a related science in order to get a real pt job.or youll have to open your own studio/practice, which could be risky but also super ridiculously rewarding
How much were the 24s trying to start you off with?

-Purus Labs Rep
(Mobile Posting)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is any credential worth a damn? CSCS, RD, MS. CCC LP, Is any education worth a damn? MD, DO, DPT,...M.Ed...?? I mean nobody knows anything about anything really??

~ MANotaur
In the S&C field, for whatever, the CSCS is held in very lofty esteem. However, when you look at the information and techniques taught, most of them are archaic and provides a very narrow perspective, especially their singular periodization model. The NSCA has chosen to ignore the myriad of periodization templates that exist for linear/Western periodization and it incorrectly leads to the presumption that it is the best model available.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
How much were the 24s trying to start you off with?

-Purus Labs Rep
(Mobile Posting)
idk if it varies from state to state or county to county or anything. but both of my interviews told me the same thing. they start off the first 5 weeks spoon feeding you clients at 8.50n hour. then its my responsiblity to flip them for more sessions and get more clients of my own. once the grace period ends, its 20%sales commission per session. sessions are $60 for an hour but you can cut them short if theyre ok with it. you can also stack clients or piggy back clients, so like have on join in the last half hour, and continue training that one after the first is over. the supersport said they get 1200 sessions per week on average and have 26 trainers. thats roughly 40 a week per trainer at about 10-15 per sessions, so around $400-600 full time per week. not the greatest but not completely horrible either. supersport is where you wanna be because all the rich ****ers go there, aside from the upper tier gyms. those ones require bachelor degrees though

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
idk if it varies from state to state or county to county or anything. but both of my interviews told me the same thing. they start off the first 5 weeks spoon feeding you clients at 8.50n hour. then its my responsiblity to flip them for more sessions and get more clients of my own. once the grace period ends, its 20%sales commission per session. sessions are $60 for an hour but you can cut them short if theyre ok with it. you can also stack clients or piggy back clients, so like have on join in the last half hour, and continue training that one after the first is over. the supersport said they get 1200 sessions per week on average and have 26 trainers. thats roughly 40 a week per trainer at about 10-15 per sessions, so around $400-600 full time per week. not the greatest but not completely horrible either. supersport is where you wanna be because all the rich ****ers go there, aside from the upper tier gyms. those ones require bachelor degrees though
That's where I train anyways.
It's just going to be a part time gig for me any how...

-Purus Labs Rep
(Mobile Posting)

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
That's where I train anyways.
It's just going to be a part time gig for me any how...

-Purus Labs Rep
(Mobile Posting)
they also pay for your membership if youre employed by them. and after 3 months, theyll pay for "one significant other" like id have more than one or something. and be careful with the part time idea. if you limit your hours of business, then youll have to find clients with similar hours to you. its pretty rough doing it part time be ause you can have huge gaps of time between sessions. if you have the option, look into physical therapy instead. it goes from physical therapy aide -> assistant -> therapist. therapist = $70grand a year starting, but requires a masters in physical therapy. top 10% = $110grand/year

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
they also pay for your membership if youre employed by them. and after 3 months, theyll pay for "one significant other" like id have more than one or something. and be careful with the part time idea. if you limit your hours of business, then youll have to find clients with similar hours to you. its pretty rough doing it part time be ause you can have huge gaps of time between sessions. if you have the option, look into physical therapy instead. it goes from physical therapy aide -> assistant -> therapist. therapist = $70grand a year starting, but requires a masters in physical therapy. top 10% = $110grand/year
Thx partner.

-Purus Labs Rep
(Mobile Posting)