Cost of Living - AnabolicMinds.com

Cost of Living

1. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Cost of Living

My brother called me asking for money and it got me thinking, am I crazy?

He has a near full time job, I'm sure making between 8-9/hr. how does he not have money?!?!? I hear this from other people about raising minimum wage etc that are my age. Is there something wrong with my math?

Monthly Bills
    Student loans : $462.75
    Rent/Utilities: $300
    Medical Insurance : $97.55
    Car insurance: $50
    Gas: $150

That totals at just over $1,000/month in bring home pay. As you can see my student loans were the bulk of my bills. I lived like this for months & had medical insurance (which again most people don't. Gotta have that iPhone!)

Am I crazy for telling my brother to figure it out? Is there a heart inside my chest or just an old frozen black coal-ish looking thing in there?
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative

2. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Costs are through the roof. $300 for rent? Where i that, I am ready to move. Lol
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  3. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water View Post
    My brother called me asking for money and it got me thinking, am I crazy?

He has a near full time job, I'm sure making between 8-9/hr. how does he not have money?!?!? I hear this from other people about raising minimum wage etc that are my age. Is there something wrong with my math?

Monthly Bills
    Student loans : $462.75
    Rent/Utilities: $300
    Medical Insurance : $97.55
    Car insurance: $50
    Gas: $150

That totals at just over $1,000/month in bring home pay. As you can see my student loans were the bulk of my bills. I lived like this for months & had medical insurance (which again most people don't. Gotta have that iPhone!)

Am I crazy for telling my brother to figure it out? Is there a heart inside my chest or just an old frozen black coal-ish looking thing in there?

What about the car bill?. You just have insurance down there, also Rent/Utilites $300?. Really? Dang, that is insanely low!. Gas I would say is at least 200 maybe $250. What about Internet/Phone?. Electricity?. Food?. You left a lot out. Eight to Nine dollars an hour?. That would have been ok maybe 15 years ago.
    •   

4. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by AE14 View Post
    Costs are through the roof. $300 for rent? Where i that, I am ready to move. Lol
    I had a roommate, it was a 2 bedroom apt. I had the small room so I paid slightly less. Unless you're in a large city, this is an extremely avg price.

Even here in fresno,CA you can find 2 bedroom apt for <$700/month without much problem. Not the nicest area but extremely do-able.
  5. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I think you lowballed a lot of your estimates, especially rent/utilities. Mine is triple that and I live in a very modest area.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  6. New Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Lending money to your brother is like when you were in jr high and asked some girl you knew that kind of liked you to borrow a quarter when you both know that it means i have no intention of paying you back but it just sounds "more better"
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'11"  230 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I had a roommate, it was a 2 bedroom apt. I had the small room so I paid slightly less. Unless you're in a large city, this is an extremely avg price.

Even here in fresno,CA you can find 2 bedroom apt for <$700/month without much problem. Not the nicest area but extremely do-able.
    Man. I'm living in the wrong part of the country. The average income must be a lot lower though.
    PES Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  8. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post

What about the car bill?. You just have insurance down there, also Rent/Utilites $300?. Really? Dang, that is insanely low!. Gas I would say is at least 200 maybe $250. What about Internet/Phone?. Electricity?. Food?. You left a lot out. Eight to Nine dollars an hour?. That would have been ok maybe 15 years ago.
    No cable/Internet. The rent/utilities were lump'd together. I had a roommate also

$250 for gas? Where the heck are you driving?!?!? Gas is 3.50/gal and round trip is about 60mi/day and I don't pay close to that.

No car payment bc I didn't have one, I didn't need a new car. Didnt have the nicest car but it got me from A to B with zero problem.

Food was bought with $$$ about $150/worth but that income qualifies for food stamps.

What have I left out now?
  9. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I think you lowballed a lot of your estimates, especially rent/utilities. Mine is triple that and I live in a very modest area.
    Those were my exact costs, no low-balling sir.
  10. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

No cable/Internet. The rent/utilities were lump'd together. I had a roommate also

$250 for gas? Where the heck are you driving?!?!? Gas is 3.50/gal and round trip is about 60mi/day and I don't pay close to that.

No car payment bc I didn't have one, I didn't need a new car. Didnt have the nicest car but it got me from A to B with zero problem.

Food was bought with $$$ about $150/worth but that income qualifies for food stamps.

What have I left out now?
    Sounds like you lucked out or Cost of living is a lot lower in your area. Maybe closer to $200 for gas, I'd say at least $50 a week.
  11. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.

Ok so change my rent/utilities to $762.75/month if it makes you feel better. They're student loan payments (which a majority at 8-9/hr don't have)

My brother doesn't have them....
  12. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.

Actually, lets take out medical too bc he doesn't (still on one of my patents plans). Now were at about $850/month for rent/utilities.

Am I still crazy guys?
  13. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Those were my exact costs, no low-balling sir.
    There's also no costs for food or phone bill. I've never had rent/utilities that cheap in my life even with roommates. I know that in my area, rent prices have gone up ~20-25% compared to just 5 years ago and food has also gone up in that time. Using numbers from years ago doesn't paint an accurate depiction of the current market.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  14. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Actually, lets take out medical too bc he doesn't (still on one of my patents plans). Now were at about $850/month for rent/utilities.

Am I still crazy guys?
    This number seems more realistic to now, but you still have to account for food, transportation, phone, etc. Those alone are at least another $400 per month and more than a full-time, $8/hour job would pay.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  15. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  260 lbs.

If you can afford it, let him borrow it. Does he ask often? Do you believe he'll pay it back? I borrow money from my brother if I'm seriously hurting, but I tell him how ill get the extra to pay him back. In the end he's family and you should try to help.
  16. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.

There's also no costs for food or phone bill. I've never had rent/utilities that cheap in my life even with roommates. I know that in my area, rent prices have gone up ~20-25% compared to just 5 years ago and food has also gone up in that time. Using numbers from years ago doesn't paint an accurate depiction of the current market.
    I know what you mean, this was last year though brotha. That income qualifies for food stamps. They're giving them out like suckers at the doctors office these days, I hear.

Are you in the northeast?
  17. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  260 lbs.

Also what is the money for? He probably over spent his income. Tell him you'll let him borrow it if he creates a budget plan so it won't happen again.
  18. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by beastybean View Post
    Also what is the money for? He probably over spent his income. Tell him you'll let him borrow it if he creates a budget plan so it won't happen again.
    It's happened a few times. He owes me well over $3,000.
  19. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

I know what you mean, this was last year though brotha. That income qualifies for food stamps. They're giving them out like suckers at the doctors office these days, I hear.

Are you in the northeast?
    Texas.

This changes the game. He's not living within his means. It's not your responsibility to bail him out repeatedly.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  20. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.

This number seems more realistic to now, but you still have to account for food, transportation, phone, etc. Those alone are at least another $400 per month and more than a full-time, $8/hour job would pay.
    Transportation was the $150/gas. We have a family plan for the phone my mom pays for ($15/month)
  21. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.

Texas.
    Really, in Texas?!?!? I always hear that Texas is "cheap" compared to CA or even the mid-west.

You Rodja, jut blew my mind
  22. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  260 lbs.

Well if it were me I'd tell him no more! Sometimes you need a wake up call. It does suck living off 9 hr, you have to sacrifice alot, but it can be done. He's obviously living out of his income level.
  23. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Really, in Texas?!?!? I always hear that Texas is "cheap" compared to CA or even the mid-west.

You Rodja, jut blew my mind
    Certain parts of Texas are cheap, but not my particular area.

Cost of living for me and my wife is closer to $2000 with only one car payment and no insurance for me. Rent is $695, utilities are $120-180, phone is $150, cable/internet $100, car $300, insurance is ~$90, gas ~$200, and ~$300-350 for food.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  24. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.

Thanks for the feedback though guys, I really appreciate it. Even if I seem "snippy" I'm not trying to be or at least it's not directed at you guys. I love all my AM brothers!

It appears I need to try and sit down and have a talk with what his exact incomeut going $$$ is to try and get to the root of this.
  25. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  260 lbs.

Thanks for the feedback though guys, I really appreciate it. Even if I seem "snippy" I'm not trying to be or at least it's not directed at you guys. I love all my AM brothers!

It appears I need to try and sit down and have a talk with what his exact incomeut going $$$ is to try and get to the root of this.
    Sounds like a good plan, as long as he admits to all his spending. Maybe have him print of a bank statement
  26. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

all i can say is, the high cost of livin aint nothin like the cost of livin high
    Quote Originally Posted by iparatroop View Post
    I'm usually crying when people take naked pictures of me. Fcuking childhood.
  27. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  183 lbs.

Try living in the north east. My grandma lives on a 75x25 lot and pays over 11 grand in property tax. It's such a joke.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Cost of tilapia
    By Blaq Ryu in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-29-2007, 06:26 AM
  2. Cost of Redemtion Ronnie Coleman
    By okboy63 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-04-2005, 03:05 PM
  3. The Cost of Anti-Aging Clinics' Products
    By Josey Wales in forum IGF-1/GH