Erbs palsy

  1. Advanced Member
    liftandeat's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    577
    Rep Power
    111464
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    14%

    Erbs palsy


    Anybody here train with this birth defect? I was born with a mild case in my left arm and I was wondering if anybody knows any secrets to strengthin it. It makes it really hard to work out my back and biceps. Any info is much appreciated.

  2. Senior Member
    MANotaur's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,347
    Rep Power
    450147
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    45.7%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Have you had any surgeries to correct the problem? what are some of your other activities?
    Quote Originally Posted by iparatroop View Post
    I'm usually crying when people take naked pictures of me. Fcuking childhood.
  3. Senior Member
    MANotaur's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,347
    Rep Power
    450147
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    45.7%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    The reason i ask is yes you can strengthen it and train! i just kinda need to know where your at strength wise currently. A "mild" case may vary from person to person. What is it that you were really lookin to do or learn?
    Quote Originally Posted by iparatroop View Post
    I'm usually crying when people take naked pictures of me. Fcuking childhood.
    •   
       

  4. Advanced Member
    liftandeat's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    577
    Rep Power
    111464
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    14%

    Quote Originally Posted by MANotaur
    The reason i ask is yes you can strengthen it and train! i just kinda need to know where your at strength wise currently. A "mild" case may vary from person to person. What is it that you were really lookin to do or learn?
    Hey man sorry I'm just seeing this now. I've been powerlifting for about 4 years now. I can do most lifts but I can notice my left arm lagging. I don't do alot of bicep work because there are only a few exercises that I can actually do. It is impossible for me to do a military pull up but I can do pull ups with my hands facing eachother but still then it hurts. I have an abnormally large LAT muscle especially on my left side because I think it makes up for the lack of strength in my left arm. I mean I don't wanna sound like a complainer because I have already transformed my body the last few years my bench has gone from 155 to 250 but I feel like I would be so much stronger if I had 2 normal arms. Ill post pictures later to show u the erbs palsy. I've seen multiple doctors all over California and there is no procedure that they can do to give me full motion. Just like most people on the forum I'm a gym rat (it's my biggest passion) so any advice on how to keep getting stronger would be much appreciated.
  5. Senior Member
    MANotaur's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,347
    Rep Power
    450147
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    45.7%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by liftandeat View Post
    Hey man sorry I'm just seeing this now. I've been powerlifting for about 4 years now. I can do most lifts but I can notice my left arm lagging. I don't do alot of bicep work because there are only a few exercises that I can actually do. It is impossible for me to do a military pull up but I can do pull ups with my hands facing eachother but still then it hurts. I have an abnormally large LAT muscle especially on my left side because I think it makes up for the lack of strength in my left arm. I mean I don't wanna sound like a complainer because I have already transformed my body the last few years my bench has gone from 155 to 250 but I feel like I would be so much stronger if I had 2 normal arms. Ill post pictures later to show u the erbs palsy. I've seen multiple doctors all over California and there is no procedure that they can do to give me full motion. Just like most people on the forum I'm a gym rat (it's my biggest passion) so any advice on how to keep getting stronger would be much appreciated.
    theres no surgery that can give you full range of motion, but there are some that can help increase it. Your biggest problem probably isnt ROM so much as it is stability. I would recommend doing rotator cuff stabilty exercises. Lat pull downs are a better option for you as opposed to pullups. I know you can do them and if theyre not hurting you i can see your frustration, I just personally wouldnt do it because of the instability and possible fatigue of your brachial plexus. You know your body best though so start light and gradually go up in weight until you reach a point that your comfortable, but struggle. If you need anymore help or have anymore questions dont hesitate to ask me or shoot me a pm!
    Quote Originally Posted by iparatroop View Post
    I'm usually crying when people take naked pictures of me. Fcuking childhood.
  6. Advanced Member
    liftandeat's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    577
    Rep Power
    111464
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    14%

    Quote Originally Posted by MANotaur

    theres no surgery that can give you full range of motion, but there are some that can help increase it. Your biggest problem probably isnt ROM so much as it is stability. I would recommend doing rotator cuff stabilty exercises. Lat pull downs are a better option for you as opposed to pullups. I know you can do them and if theyre not hurting you i can see your frustration, I just personally wouldnt do it because of the instability and possible fatigue of your brachial plexus. You know your body best though so start light and gradually go up in weight until you reach a point that your comfortable, but struggle. If you need anymore help or have anymore questions dont hesitate to ask me or shoot me a pm!
    I'm going to look up some rotator cuff stability exercises. I'm just tired of people in the gym watching me do bicep or back exercises and assume I have bad form but really it's just my F***ed up left arm. Thanks again MANotaur. You have been great helping me out with multiple issues.
  7. Senior Member
    MANotaur's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,347
    Rep Power
    450147
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    45.7%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by liftandeat View Post
    I'm going to look up some rotator cuff stability exercises. I'm just tired of people in the gym watching me do bicep or back exercises and assume I have bad form but really it's just my F***ed up left arm. Thanks again MANotaur. You have been great helping me out with multiple issues.
    no problem and save your self some research if you want,

    Internal rotation-pin elbow to side, rotate your hand inside across your abdomen
    external rotation- pin elbow to side, rotate your hand externally away from body
    standing rows-self explanitory
    vertical external rotation- with arm bent at 90degrees, lift elbow up till its even with shoulder and brachius is parallel to the floor, rotate externally (like your waving 'hey' to somebody or bringing your hand up to be sworn in)
    vertical internal rotation - raise your arm to a 90degree square (like your being sworn in) and rotate internally (like throwing a ball to the ground) while maintain elbow at 90degrees.

    for each exercise do 3 sets of 15-20 as tolerated, exercises can be done 2-3 times a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by iparatroop View Post
    I'm usually crying when people take naked pictures of me. Fcuking childhood.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Cerebral Palsy (CP)
    By djbombsquad in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-24-2007, 01:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in