1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.82%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Looking for a study...help!!

Ok, I hear EVERYWHERE and read EVERYWHERE by trusted names at trusted forums that squats, deads, and the like increase testosterone levels. Now, I can find a million articles done (without citation) by bodybuilders and powerlifters at their personal webpages and I can find endless threads that talk about the supporting research for compound power-movements increasing: Test, GH, and IGF-1 being endless, however I cannot find a single scientific study to back that claim up.

I personally believe it. I experience gains on all of my lifts and on my measurements when I started squatting and deadlifting after I had not been for a long time. However, I would really like to find an study or an article that can be considered a trustworthy source to back this up.

So, if anybody has a study that relates increased test (and gh, and igf-1 if possible) to movements such as squats and deads, I'd really appreciate it if you could give me a hand

Thanks!

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.67%

there was a gigantic debate about this one time between bobo and iron addict. can't remember if studies were provided or not, but the consensus eventually came down to any compound movement increases GH levels and the like. i'll do some searching and see what i can find.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.67%
    •   

4. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

Actually its any type of resistance training that will accomplish this.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.82%

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo
    Actually its any type of resistance training that will accomplish this.
    I understand this, and I actually ran through that thread. LOL, good read

I should have made my question more specific. I've found research that concludes there is a small, but discernable difference in the inrease in Test levels between low-moderate and high intensity compounds (squats). I'm looking to find out if in the long term, say 6 months to a year, the increased levels of Test, although small, would make a differnece in lean mass gains for parts that go largely uneffected (directly) by those compound, heavy movements (like squats or deads) that cause a larger increase in Test level spikes.

Here's the study:

Hormonal responses to high- and moderate-intensity strength exercise.

Raastad T, Bjoro T, Hallen J.

The Norwegian University of Sport and Physical Education, Oslo. trulsr@brage.idrettshs.no

The hormonal responses of nine male, strength athletes to strength exercise were examined. The athletes performed one moderate- and one high-intensity strength exercise workout. In the high-intensity workout, the load was 100% of each subject's three-repetition maximum (3-RM) for squats and front squats, and 100% of each subject's six-repetition maximum (6-RM) for leg extensions. In the moderate-intensity workout, the load was 70% of the high-intensity protocol. Rest periods between sets were 4-6 min for both workouts. Blood samples were taken before, 30 min into, and every 15 min for the 1st h after exercise, and then 3, 7, 11, 22 and 33 h after exercise, thus allowing examination of both the acute and prolonged hormonal responses. Blood samples were analyzed for testosterone, luteinizing hormone (LH), follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), cortisol, adrenocorticotrophic hormone (ACTH), growth hormone (GH), insulin-like growth factor (IGF-1), insulin, sex hormone binding globulin, creatine kinase, total protein, glucose and lactate. The acute responses of testosterone and cortisol were greater during the high-intensity protocol as compared to the moderate-intensity protocol. The cortisol response was associated with an increase in ACTH concentration. LH and FSH showed no response to either protocol. Acute GH responses were not different between protocols. There were great inter-individual differences in acute GH responses to both protocols. There were no significant differences between protocols with regard to prolonged responses for any hormone. In both trials, IGF-1 concentrations were significantly lower at 0800 hours the morning after exercise as compared to concentrations found at 0800 hours the morning before exercise. The mechanisms responsible for reducing IGF-1 concentration in these trials are unclear, and it is not known if this reduction observed 22 hours after exercise is of physiological significance.

Similar Forum Threads

1. New here and looking for information and help with ECY
    By docrocklbc in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-04-2011, 01:27 PM
  2. First injection cycle. Looking for a little help
    By BlackGT99 in forum Cycle Info
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-06-2011, 07:06 PM
  3. 44 and looking for some supp help
    By bubble boy in forum 35 and Older
    Replies: 39