Beards

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
With fall approaching (it's still 99 where I'm at) how many of you guys grow beards?

I'm a mid-western man at heart so even the near triple digit heat won't hold me back, I've been growing mine for the past 5 weeks.

Mine grows a little gnarly but eff it, it'll come in handy when I'm back in Cleveland the end of October.

PrimiFit

Awards
I grow a modest one every now and then. Then I get sick of it, because it starts to get in the way of eating with a clean chin. Then I grow it back again, because I think it makes me look a bit older and I'm too lazy to shave my chin every day :p

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
klint

klint

Awards
My little girl didnt like my beard so i shaved it off..lol. but left a tutle tasche. luv O.C.C. But getting alot of strange looks.

ponysteak

ponysteak

Awards
I only grow a beard if I'm doing a lot of field work to keep the mosquitoes off my face. Otherwise I try to keep it clean shaven.

lamonster14

lamonster14

Awards
I grow mine for a week on avg. My week looks like most guys month. I have an ussue growing it longer for several reasons 1) it is extremely coarse and thick most clippers pull rather than cut when its long. 2) i am an ethnic mut scottish/austrian and sicilian so its like a clusterf@@& of colors reds, brown and some black. 3) im bald so a gigantic beard looks a tad out of place. But like i stated before a week and its a respectable beard any more than 2 and its a nightmare

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My little girl didnt like my beard so i shaved it off..lol. but left a tutle tasche. luv O.C.C. But getting alot of strange looks.
Funny how little kids react to facial hair, especially if you're gone for a little while and you leave with none and come back with a thicker beard.

I only grow a beard if I'm doing a lot of field work to keep the mosquitoes off my face. Otherwise I try to keep it clean shaven.
I had been clean shaven for the past 3 years bc of playing & coaching college ball in the South, ain't no joke round der! Lol

I grow mine for a week on avg. My week looks like most guys month. I have an ussue growing it longer for several reasons 1) it is extremely coarse and thick most clippers pull rather than cut when its long. 2) i am an ethnic mut scottish/austrian and sicilian so its like a clusterf@@& of colors reds, brown and some black. 3) im bald so a gigantic beard looks a tad out of place. But like i stated before a week and its a respectable beard any more than 2 and its a nightmare
That's almost like the trifecta beard growing growing heritage stack, a little flavor from each! Lol

Pride89

Pride89

Awards
  • Established
Bringing this old thread back to life now that Beards are modern !?

What's your take on it all ?
Can you grow one ?

I look like a homeless for the first weeks of growing by Beard but now Im 5 weeks in to my latest Beard "cycle" i look like an old sailer ! :p

lamonster14

lamonster14

Awards
I like that most people don't equate facial hair with looking disheveled anymore.

I could always grow one but never let it grow to an appreciable length until I was 23-24 years old. Now it's full all the time to varying levels of coverage.

Confession: my beard grows in red so I dye it brown once a week so it matches the hair color on my head.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like that most people don't equate facial hair with looking disheveled anymore.

I could always grow one but never let it grow to an appreciable length until I was 23-24 years old. Now it's full all the time to varying levels of coverage.

Confession: my beard grows in red so I dye it brown once a week so it matches the hair color on my head.
I have two problems with males who grow beards:

Justin Timberlake beard-havers - that's a boys beard, not a man's beard. Beards are for men, not boys. If I can see more skin than hair its not a beard - wash that mess off your face. You look silly.

Ungroomed beards - groom yourself man! Use a clipper and keep it neat. Even if it's long - trim and groom regularly.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have two problems with males who grow beards:

Justin Timberlake beard-havers - that's a boys beard, not a man's beard. Beards are for men, not boys. If I can see more skin than hair its not a beard - wash that mess off your face. You look silly.

Ungroomed beards - groom yourself man! Use a clipper and keep it neat. Even if it's long - trim and groom regularly.
Yup, I think it's gross when long facial hair looks like gross pubes.

lamonster14

lamonster14

Awards
When I say appreciable length I'm not saying zz top length haha.

I don't have an exact measurement as to where I draw the line but I wouldn't place it in either of the categories you've mentioned.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Who are these "most people" that you are talking about. Facial hair is disgusting. It makes most look like a slob, others look homeless, and still others that now think it's trendy just look like douche-bags.

lamonster14

lamonster14

Awards
Who are these "most people" that you are talking about. Facial hair is disgusting. It makes most look like a slob, others look homeless, and still others that now think it's trendy just look like douche-bags.
The most people I'm referring to would be those I associate with, and interact with on a daily basis. I realize I made a generalization .

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I gotta agree with you ;)

And it is usually accompanied by unkempt hair as well. Skinny pants slob is a fashion statement today :D

johnl1800

johnl1800

Awards
  • Established
Facial hair is disgusting. It makes most look like a slob, others look homeless, and still others that now think it's trendy just look like douche-bags.
If you're talking about guys who can't be bothered to keep it trimmed and let it grow in long, shaggy and unkempt that's one thing but that has less to do with the facial hair itself and more to do with someone not bothering to keep up some basic grooming.

I grew a beard many years ago when I had shingles and couldn't shave. My wife said that I looked a lot better, (and so did many other people too) and didn't want me to shave it off. I keep it well trimmed so I don't look like a "slob" or "disheveled" and since I've had it since 1993 whether or not it's "trendy" is completely irrelevant to me.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you're talking about guys who can't be bothered to keep it trimmed and let it grow in long, shaggy and unkempt that's one thing but that has less to do with the facial hair itself and more to do with someone not bothering to keep up some basic grooming.
Yup! You beard wearing guys need to start to promote grooming because more often than not that is the beard of today. It truly appears that they are simply to lazy to shave and or groom in general.

Then there's the long black socks, shorts and sandles and the skinny jeans and extra medium t-shirts :D

I grew a beard many years ago when I had shingles and couldn't shave. My wife said that I looked a lot better, (and so did many other people too) and didn't want me to shave it off. I keep it well trimmed so I don't look like a "slob" or "disheveled" and since I've had it since 1993 whether or not it's "trendy" is completely irrelevant to me.
Better is subjective. ;)

johnl1800

johnl1800

Awards
  • Established
Then there's the long black socks, shorts and sandles and the skinny jeans and extra medium t-shirts :D
The skinny jeans thing kind of baffles me, but then again for better or worse I seem to have inherited the Puerto Rican side of my families backside and legs (squats aren't helping matters much here either) so I couldn't wear skinny jeans even when I was skinny (if for some unknown reason I ever wanted to wear them that is).

Better is subjective. ;)
http://www.pajiba.com/seriously_random_lists/chicks-dig-beards-science-dont-lie.php

"a study in the 1970s and another one three years ago come to similar conclusions: Women are more attracted to, and more likely to develop a long or short-term relationship with, men with light beards or stubble. They also find men with full beards more aggressive and mature, but also the least attractive. Men with no facial hair were rated the second-least attractive, but also least likely romantic partners."

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
http://www.pajiba.com/seriously_random_lists/chicks-dig-beards-science-dont-lie.php

"a study in the 1970s and another one three years ago come to similar conclusions: Women are more attracted to, and more likely to develop a long or short-term relationship with, men with light beards or stubble. They also find men with full beards more aggressive and mature, but also the least attractive. Men with no facial hair were rated the second-least attractive, but also least likely romantic partners."

LMAO!. What are you trying to prove here?.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I usually always have stubble, but most women complain that it scratches them when making out. So I've just stopped kissing them during sex. Problem solved lol

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The skinny jeans thing kind of baffles me, but then again for better or worse I seem to have inherited the Puerto Rican side of my families backside and legs (squats aren't helping matters much here either) so I couldn't wear skinny jeans even when I was skinny (if for some unknown reason I ever wanted to wear them that is).

each of those guys pictured went from good looking guys to slobs with those beards.

Additionally I don't choose my grooming style based on what woman like. I do me...

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
each of those guys pictured went from good looking guys to slobs with those beards.

Additionally I don't choose my grooming style based on what woman like. I do me...
Agreed. Some people weren't meant for full beards. Facial pubes are not attractive to anyone, gotta keep it groomed, and if it doesn't grow thick, keep it short.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Agreed. Some people weren't meant for full beards. Facial pubes are not attractive to anyone, gotta keep it groomed, and if it doesn't grow thick, keep it short.
Agreed. Just cause you can doesn't mean you should.

Ex: Yoga pants on ladies....

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I've had one for 35 years, my wife & children have never seen me with out it!

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've had one for 35 years, my wife & children have never seen me with out it!
That was my dad when I was a kid. But he kept it groomed and trimmed.

I'm not at all anti beard. I am, as mentioned above, anti facial pubes on guys who can't, or shouldn't wear beards.

It's like the dude with the Gallagher (90% wont know who he is) hair style growing down his back; dude, you have a chrome dome - get a haircut already!!! ;)

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I always keep mine trimmed very short, I used to let it really grow when I was younger.

The Sledge-A-Matic!!

cheeky1

cheeky1

Awards
  • Established
I let my gorgeous red food catcher grow over winter & now we're into summer it finally got the better of me. It was getting to a length where I was considering plaiting it (cos I could), but the outdoors work & gym sessions meant it collected sweat & dust like nothing else - and that itched me like crazy! So the clipper came out & I went back to an inch long all over beard, no teeny fluff here :yup:

It's funny y'know. When it was long I got so many negative comments it wasn't funny...predominately from the ladies. Didn't bother me, but it's interesting what a change in others attitudes towards you just from a quick trim.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
My beard grows in RED despite no red hair anywhere else haha! Must be the Viking blood in me.

Personally I like a 10ish day beard. Longer than that makes my face itchy, but I will grow it longer if I'm training for a fight. Something extra primal/beastly about letting that beard take over.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I usually have a 3-day stubble chin strap that I clean up daily. But now it's getting peppered, like the sides of my head. Don't think I'll ever dye the sides of my hair though, adds to that established gentleman look

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I always have a full beard, but keep it at different lengths throughout the year, depending on temperature and humidity.

thorsdad31

thorsdad31

Awards
  • Established
Haven't shaved mine off in 5 years

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
I keep this beard year round

Attachments

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
image.jpg

cheeky1

cheeky1

Awards
  • Established
Better. No need for the scarf with a hairy throat warmer :wink1:
How to put on 2lb over winter...with no fat? Grow dat dere beard bro!

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
Better. No need for the scarf with a hairy throat warmer :wink1:
How to put on 2lb over winter...with no fat? Grow dat dere beard bro!
4lbs mate :D..The first pic was from 2014 :-/ How time flies :-/

cheeky1

cheeky1

Awards
  • Established
4lbs mate :D..The first pic was from 2014 :-/ How time flies :-/
4lbs!? You planning on stashing chicken wings in there? :p
Yessir, yes it does.

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established