Cisco Pix

SUPERMAN0383

Awards
Hey I have a question about a cisco pix for you other network engineers out there. It's been about a year since I've used one and I have a question about setting up LAN-to-LAN connections

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
Pix is a b*tch to set up. Why would you need such a firewall with a Lan - Lan connection, unless your going across the internet then you have a basically a WAN. Dont know if I can help since I dont use Cisco anymore but what is your question?

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established
whats your question? and yes PIX blows - i threw them all out for nice shiny nokias running checkpoint Ng with AI. they also have pretty blue lights and the pix have no lights:D .

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established
Pix is a b*tch to set up. Why would you need such a firewall with a Lan - Lan connection, unless your going across the internet then you have a basically a WAN. Dont know if I can help since I dont use Cisco anymore but what is your question?
DMZ lets say maybee. maybee he has a Production DC in the same site as idiot sales people, you would obviousely want to lock down access to it.

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
DMZ lets say maybee. maybee he has a Production DC in the same site as idiot sales people, you would obviousely want to lock down access to it.
Hey I love idiot sales people, they screw up enough stuff to keep me forever employed.

But yea a DMZ would make sense I was thinking more along the lines of a WAN connection between sites figuring all other security settings were in place.

Those Nokia's sound sweet. Last firewall I set up was a NetScreen, really nice interface no pretty lights though.

tattoopierced1

netscreens are great...we have a netscreen 25 and it is very solid so far.

SUPERMAN0383

Awards
I got it. I had everything set up right. It's a WAN connection I just call them LAN -to - LAN connections because it's easier for the people here to know what I am talking about. It's funny for a while they thought I was saying LAND to LAND. The person who set this PIX up before me set the security permissions up wrong and the other end I was trying to communicate didn't have their act together. Thanks guys. The last VPN device I set up was a Fortinet.

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established
ITs all about the lights. thats how i make purchasing decisions these days. no lights no buying. F5 equipment definitely have the coolest lights out there =P

coofoostu

Awards
ITs all about the lights. thats how i make purchasing decisions these days. no lights no buying. F5 equipment definitely have the coolest lights out there =P
lol so true.

I had a nortel switch i used to bring to lan parties a while back and when I turned it on, all the ports would light up at differnet times and it looked like a light show.

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
I had a BigIP load balancer it didnt have any lights.

I thought about getting a board of different colored LED's and having them light up at random times; put it on one of my racks just to make my servers look cool. :)

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established
how old was your bigip? mine are about 1 year old. i thought they all had the pretty red F5 bubble??? running 3DNS and lnik controller too....

ironviking

The Axe Man Cometh!!
Awards
  • Established
My would be about 4 years old now. Its with a company that I dont work for anymore. Mine had that big red bubble but it didnt light up - did I get jipped?

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established
i definitely would have asked for a refund. the lights alone made us buy those over ciscos crap. but seriousely mr viking - my aim info is there - hit me up sometime if you have IT woes.........

Gumbo

Gumbo

Awards
I've been working for Cisco Sytems for about 5 years, and while I don't support the PIX, you can get all the info you need at www.cisco.com - the PIX documentation is easy to read.

My expertise is with the Content Networking Devices, but anybody can setup a PIX.

Gumbo