any advice on what to get? dont wanna spend over $400

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you want an affordable mini laptop this one is on sale right now for $299. Has the 4GB memory, 320 hard drive, hd screen, usb 3, and other goodies.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/818404/Acer-Aspire-One-AO725-0412-Laptop/

Dont expect high end laptop performance, if your into gaming this isnt good for you.

I almost bought it but decided to stick with my dell mini since I need a mini pc all the time.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
just usin for internet and papers for school. my $2k dell died on me today and i dont wanna spend near that. plus the minis are more portable. thanks for the link

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
just usin for internet and papers for school. my $2k dell died on me today and i dont wanna spend near that. plus the minis are more portable. thanks for the link
Died?. How expensive is it to fix it?. Not worth it to fix?. I know laptops/pcs depreciate faster than anything. What was worth $2000 when you purchased it may only be worth around 2-300 now. Depending on how old it is.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Might be a bit more but my wife just picked up an iPad and once you get it figured out it is remarkable.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Might be a bit more but my wife just picked up an iPad and once you get it figured out it is remarkable.
If your going to recommend tablets, go with the new Google Nexus 7 for $199 bones (get off itunes plus save 300-400 dollars). Got a Tegra 3 processor that's faster then my desktop and lots of valuable apps for school. A good link for school related functions: http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-tablet-forum/196238-nexus-7-note-taking.html If you want something more directly compatible with school, wait a month or so until the Microsoft Surface comes out.... tablet with built in keyboard and direct compatibility with flash and microsoft office. There are work arounds to use microsoft office with the Nexus and Apple (apps, etc) but for ease of use, if this is what you want wait for the surface. Starting price is around $499

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If your going to recommend tablets, go with the new Google Nexus 7(get off itunes plus save 300-400 dollars). Got a Tegra 3 processor that's faster then my desktop and lots of valuable apps for school. If you want something more directly compatible with school, wait a month or so until the Microsoft Surface comes out.... tablet with built in keyboard and direct compatibility with flash and microsoft office. There are work arounds to use microsoft office with the Nexus and Apple but for ease of use, if this is what you want wait for the surface. Starting price is around $499
Surface is going to be very expensive, $900-$1,000+ I think but they have several models I believe.

I have the Nexus, its a great tablet I love it especially for the price. You can use a mouse with it (I have a keyboard too.) Still prefer my laptop or netbook for typing on the internet forums.

Ipad mini may come out later this year.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Surface is going to be very expensive, $900-$1,000+ I think but they have several models I believe.

I have the Nexus, its a great tablet I love it especially for the price. You can use a mouse with it (I have a keyboard too.) Still prefer my laptop or netbook for typing on the internet forums.

Ipad mini may come out later this year.
No one knows the real price the surface will start at. Right now, the suggested belief is 900-1000 for pro edition. 400-500 for standard.

The nexus is a great little device.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have a subscription to PC World and the current magazine has an article on the Surface Tablet. Just read it this morning. Surface RT is the cheaper one. It will have USB 2.0, MicroSD card slot and Micro HDMI video out. Nvidia Tegra 3 ARM Processor. Storage- minimum of 32GB...

Surface Pro will have 64GB or 128GB storage and Intel Core i5 CPU. It will have Mircosoft SDXC card slot, USB 3.0, Mini DisplayPort, dual digitizer for digital linking with a stylus.

Ok that's enough. Go get the magazine if you want to read the article.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Seriously though, what do you mean "it died"?. Did you bring it to a shop to find out what was wrong with it exactly?.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have a subscription to PC World and the current magazine has an article on the Surface Tablet. Just read it this morning. Surface RT is the cheaper one. It will have USB 2.0, MicroSD card slot and Micro HDMI video out. Nvidia Tegra 3 ARM Processor. Storage- minimum of 32GB...

Surface Pro will have 64GB or 128GB storage and Intel Core i5 CPU. It will have Mircosoft SDXC card slot, USB 3.0, Mini DisplayPort, dual digitizer for digital linking with a stylus.

Ok that's enough. Go get the magazine if you want to read the article.
A Core i5 in a tablet is immense. Your talking over 2 Ghz of speed with that little thing. Could replace a lot of traditional laptops with it's compatibility of all things microsoft.....

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Have you ever tried actually typing out something on a tablet or mini laptop? It kind of sucks, so if it is for school, I would spend $400 on a decent fillsize laptop, or at least a 15". My wife has an Asus that's a couple years old. It's screen size makes web surfing a pain. It is easier to surf on a tablet, but functionally for school it would suck unless the tablet you use has a dock or you use a fullsize keyboard.

Just my $.02.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Have you ever tried actually typing out something on a tablet or mini laptop? It kind of sucks, so if it is for school, I would spend $400 on a decent fillsize laptop, or at least a 15". My wife has an Asus that's a couple years old. It's screen size makes web surfing a pain. It is easier to surf on a tablet, but functionally for school it would suck unless the tablet you use has a dock or you use a fullsize keyboard.

Just my $.02.
Wireless keyboards are available for most tablets.