Slowly we're losing the purpose of this board

mauibuilt

Awards
  • Established
Come on guys...we're losing the purpose of this board. Of course not all purpose because this board is great for socializing and support. However, I feel the main purpose of this board is to socialize, support each other, learn (which we all do) and to help (which we rarely do).

I've been on this board since late 2002 and I learned a lot from questions and reading. We're here to help and teach (see the AM slogan..."Learn, Teach, Lead." Since 2002, this board is slowly become a book. New members who aren't knowledgable ask questions about PH's and AAS and all is said is "use the search button" or "i'm surprised you haven't got flamed yet." Lets start helping these bro's out. I'd say majority will do the cycle anyway...we can atleast help them out by giving them the best advice we can rather than tell them to search. Did your teacher back in the day say "look in the book" when you asked a stupid question? If they did, i'm sorry.

I'm not sure if you folks feel I don't contribute much to the board and I shouldn't be saying this, but i'm not someone who tells someone to search or flame. I just don't answer their question if I choose not to. Its a watse of time to write up a msg flaming a member, unless the member is bringing trouble to the board. But most of them just need help and ask nicely. If it pleasures you to flame, there's always bodybuilding.com...thats all that board does.

I honestly feel we are the best board on the net with the best members, but we can improve!! Let's not go backwards because we have been increasing the "do a search" responses.

I am not offending any member of any way....and if there is a thread out there regarding all I had to say...guess I didn't do a search. But this can always be a reminder.

From this day forth, let's strive to become an even better board by helping rather than lecturing.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I think the purpose of having people search is for the "Learn" part. I honestly have no problems answering just about any question, unless it's just so obvious that someone hasn't taken the time to try and find some of the info themselves.

ManBeast

TheUsual

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I know I for one have always gotten lots of knowledgable responses to my questions on this board, and that's why I decided to make this board my home. I for one think this board and the admins are doing an incredible incredible job. I guess I just have not seen what you are referring to maui. I think this board is better than most in giving quick knowledgable responses to posts.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
I know I for one have always gotten lots of knowledgable responses to my questions on this board, and that's why I decided to make this board my home. I for one think this board and the admins are doing an incredible incredible job. I guess I just have not seen what you are referring to maui. I think this board is better than most in giving quick knowledgable responses to posts.
I think it's a mix. It is an interesting phenomena to watch boards like this, because many of them do start going in the direction of the "Check the FAQ" crowd. I see nothing wrong with referring people to the search function for very, very simple things. However I have seen a few more detailed questions without simple answers get referred as well. If I know an answer, simple or not, I'll usually take the time to type it out.

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Actually the original purpose of this board was for advanced discussion of PHs, AAS, and transdermals. Since I have been a member of this board it has grown 10 times over. I expect to see more posts of how should I run Nolva or how much 1-test should I stack with my 4-AD, but I know it wasn't the original intention of this board. I actually see very very little search first responses without some kind of answer along with it. We didn't want this to turn into other boards where you have a lot of the same questions and answers on the first page of the forum.

I believe we all want members that can answer their own simple questions and we can spend our time discussing results, techniques, and theories of the things we do in this lifestyle. While I will never encourage flaming, I sure will encourage the use of the search function. After all isn't that why we all spend time posting this information, so members will always have it to read up on.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Just a suggestion, but possibly the mods could start a "Basics" section in the forum to siut this purpose.Kind of like they have at Avant. It only makes sense that as the popularity of this board grows, it will only attract more "newbies". I don't think thats a bad thing either. I see it as an oportunity to end some of the untruths and misinformation that's out there. Let us not forget... Every single one of us was a newb at some time. :blink: And most of us still have plenty of room to learn more. :think:

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
Just a suggestion, but possibly the mods could start a "Basics" section in the forum to siut this purpose.Kind of like they have at Avant. It only makes sense that as the popularity of this board grows, it will only attract more "newbies". I don't think thats a bad thing either. I see it as an oportunity to end some of the untruths and misinformation that's out there. Let us not forget... Every single one of us was a newb at some time. :blink: And most of us still have plenty of room to learn more. :think:
:goodpost: I really like that idea.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
This board has changed quite a bit from the beginning. It was supposed to be a vendor neutral discussion forum with with a strict over 21age rule and "search", "read faqs/articles", look up "cycle info forum" were reasonable responses to basic questions.

Now with board sponsors, I can see the reason to be more relaxed with newcomers.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
From what I've seen, if the person is forced to do his/her own research, they end up learning more than they had originally planned. Simply answering might be quick fix but I think it would end up looking like bb.com after enough time passes.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
This board has changed quite a bit from the beginning. It was supposed to be a vendor neutral discussion forum with with a strict over 21age rule and "search", "read faqs/articles", look up "cycle info forum" were reasonable responses to basic questions.

Now with board sponsors, I can see the reason to be more relaxed with newcomers.
It's impossible to enforce the age rule, just look at what happened with NSRUFFRYDER, this could happen at any board.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Actually the original purpose of this board was for advanced discussion of PHs, AAS, and transdermals. Since I have been a member of this board it has grown 10 times over. I expect to see more posts of how should I run Nolva or how much 1-test should I stack with my 4-AD, but I know it wasn't the original intention of this board. I actually see very very little search first responses without some kind of answer along with it. We didn't want this to turn into other boards where you have a lot of the same questions and answers on the first page of the forum.

I believe we all want members that can answer their own simple questions and we can spend our time discussing results, techniques, and theories of the things we do in this lifestyle. While I will never encourage flaming, I sure will encourage the use of the search function. After all isn't that why we all spend time posting this information, so members will always have it to read up on.
I'm right with him here.

Another section for the basic's isn't such a bad idea but how hard is it to type in 1test in the cycle info section and see the dozens upon dozens of logs. We want people to use their heads here and find there own answers. Then once they do, come up with a plan, start a thread and ask for advice. Because like it was already stated why have 50 threads answering the same question over and over, that's pointless.

Little story for ya, people always seem to ask me for help with computer problems or whatever. I usually help them out and then you know what they ask me "how do you know so much" or "how'd you learn how to do that" Well I can tell you one thing Jesus didn't come from above and impart the knowledge of computer repair in my head. I read online, I read through books, trial and error with just messing with stuff.

Remember a quick answer isn't always the best

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
Seems most agree that the goal is to share info and help, so I agree with the idea of steering people with questions to the answer, or giving personal feedback. If you can take the time to flame, or criticize someone mercilessly, you could have taken the time to simply refer that person to an appropriate thread (and advise them how to do so for other questions in the future). That's not to say that there isn't a time and a place for a flame periodically...

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I personally try to answer the question, and then entice them to use the search function to research on their own. At times I get frustrated with such simple questions, but I always try to give some kind of posititve feedback. This board has grown, and has gotten better not worse. How many other boards would even have this discussion?

size

Awards
  • Established
I try to always give some advice and encourage research. Typically, I give very short answers rather than diving into long winded posts. I do this for 2 reasons:
1. I have already written a long response more than once or someone else has. By doing research you will find the general answer and further educate oneself.
2. I hate reading and writing long posts.

lozgod

lozgod

Awards
  • Established
I used to be a hardcore do a search person. Telling every newbie that, but then I remembered when my knowledge was zero on anabolics and even on how to navigate a message board. I am a little more empathetic now. I'll answer a question then tell them about researching.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
...but how hard is it to type in 1test in the cycle info section and see the dozens upon dozens of logs. We want people to use their heads here and find there own answers. Then once they do, come up with a plan, start a thread and ask for advice. Because like it was already stated why have 50 threads answering the same question over and over, that's pointless.
Ever try searching through those (usually more than 50) threads for a specific answer? Type something too simple in the search and it refuses to get anything, get too specific and no results come up either.

Well I can tell you one thing Jesus didn't come from above and impart the knowledge of computer repair in my head. I read online, I read through books, trial and error with just messing with stuff. Remember a quick answer isn't always the best
I definitely agree with that. I don't see too much referring here at all, and it's usually in the context of a short answer with a recommendation to do more research. Still, I do think the search function of any site can be a bit overrated in its functionality.

What I think we need, instead of a basics forum, is just a sticky or a page with a listing of basic cycles+pct. I mean, we've got recipe stickies in the trans and injectable forums, in the anabolics forum maybe anytime a mod spots a decent cycle he could sticky it, or add it to an already existing sticky. Having that as a reference would probably head off a lot of questions.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Ever try searching through those (usually more than 50) threads for a specific answer? Type something too simple in the search and it refuses to get anything, get too specific and no results come up either.QUOTE]
Yes I have. And you know what by going through a bunch of threads I always end up learning more then what I set out to learn. That's the benefit of the going out and finding it yourself.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I agree with NPursuit and Belzebub here. Yes we have some obligaton to answer very basic questions where the questioner is clearly going to mess themselves up but we must try to keep the focus of this board geared towards people with more advanced questions, enlightened discussions and innovative techniques or we'll end up like BB.com. I do not want to see this board dragged down to a remedial level therefore I either steer clear of basic questions or refer them to the search function to keep the main pages focused on more advanced knowledge.

Where we as a group are slacking is in posting research findings to back up our various hypothesis. I'm certainly guilty of this myself and will try to bolster the "hard data" aspect that makes this board second to none.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Yes I have. And you know what by going through a bunch of threads I always end up learning more then what I set out to learn. That's the benefit of the going out and finding it yourself.
I agree, that is a benefit. There's also a benefit to a quick simple answer instead of a search through endless threads, whatever value reading them may hold, is my point. I'm assuming we want more people to at least learn about anabolics if not necessarily use them. That isn't always going to happen with endless pointers to the search function. A little willingness to give a quick answer here and there isn't a bad thing. No matter how many times the question may have been asked here, it's usually the first time that person is asking it.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been so frustrated at times trying to figure the damned search thing out. A mjority of everything here has a slang to it or a acronym that will not be picked up by the search function. I would get a broad enough term to search and get a million hits trying to read through countless pages of info many of them having but a couple of responses "search" so they were dead ends as well.

Just to avoid that i'll PM someone to get some more specific information then search but I never tell anyone to just search. A lot of things are dynamic here and pulling up a 6 month old thread may not give you the same information that's out there now.

My 2 cents anyways.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
I'm not really adding anything here, but My thoughts on this were of the old saying
"Give a man a fish , he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish, and he'll eat for a lifetime", as in a reasonable expectation that you will think and study somewhat before you post, to point people towards the study resources when appropriate, and respond to situations/questions decisively when they appear to be harmful or silly.

IMO, the member's here do a generally excellent job of responding appropriately. I'm actually suprised that the signal to noise ratio around here as stayed as high as it has, that it has'nt regressed over time to a BB.com level of knee jerk responses and flaming, with the need for mods to parent the discussions and cleanse the membership .

:thumbsup:

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
I have gone to computer,fish,political,credit and various other types of forums and this is by far the least negative towards newbie questions. Probably because the mods don`t put up with the garbage some others do. And though I don`t post much I read and search everyday.

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Where we as a group are slacking is in posting research findings to back up our various hypothesis. I'm certainly guilty of this myself and will try to bolster the "hard data" aspect that makes this board second to none.
Very true, I miss those days. Of course I'm guilty of it as well as everyone else.

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
I think the purpose of this board is not being lost at all. The board may go through some "growing pains" as it continues to expand its members list and discussions. I also believe the recent bro's here that have been granted the holy status of MOD, Bioman and Jiminis, shows us that Bobo and the others are on top of this growth.

What knowledge I have obtained here, I have learned from using the search function to research, and posting when I've exhausted other leads. I am one who will answer what I can with my limited knowledge. I will also recommend to others in some of my answers to use the search function. Some new bro's here don't realize this feature exists, or how it works.

I agree with LeanOnes recommendation of having a "Basics" section. Nothing bad can come from it, IMO. I know this is an advanced discussion board. However, when I first joined here, I would liked to have seen a section for newbies.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
IMO, the member's here do a generally excellent job of responding appropriately. I'm actually suprised that the signal to noise ratio around here as stayed as high as it has, that it has'nt regressed over time to a BB.com level of knee jerk responses and flaming, with the need for mods to parent the discussions and cleanse the membership .

:thumbsup:
Well said. :goodpost: That's why I'm proud to call this place home. :thumbsup:

mauibuilt

Awards
  • Established
I second that section for newbies...."Newbie" Section of the forum.

Sanosuke

Sanosuke

Awards
  • Established
I been around this board for quite awhile back in the YellowJacket days LOL... things are obviouslly going to change expecially since ph's blew up like that did.. but still ive never really noticed an outburst of flames here unless its towards certain individuals who deserved it.. I mean some people just get others mad when they are 16 and ask "I want to get big FAST!" and "Im 16 and taking M1T should I do pct?" which seems to be the norm over at bb.com.. Personally i think people like that should get flamed but hey thats me.. Anyway Im rambling.. IMOH this is still the best board around with the best people end of story

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
I have only been a memeber for a short time, but for me I am very grateful to have this board here at my fingertips. I would normally just sit back and think my ??"s and not ask, bodybuilding, leaning out is new to me ( well semi new) for yrs I powerlifted. So for me to sit here and ask ??"s from everyone and get ALL opinions well that's a huge help, gives me much to work with.......I also get some feedback as to my medical issues and perhaps maybe, just maybe get some peace of mind there also( As in there is a cure, it's not all bad)......

I have also made some really cool friendships!!!! :)