Qusstion for Personal Trainers, Serious Life Decision

Domenic

Domenic

Awards
  • Established
Long story... I'll provide cliffs at the end... but I was born and raised in Florida. I love it. I moved from paradise to the armpit of the world, New Jersey, to join my girlfriend of 8 years' business. It's just him, now it was going to be he and I. I took the courses and got certified and spent the money and was well on my way to making well over $150k a year. But. Conditions have deteriorated. His stepson also came on board and has been getting literally 99% of the work because his wife wears the pants in the marriage. She's not a fan of me. I've recently lost 95 pounds and love studying and reading anything I can get my hands on regarding health and fitness. I'm always helping friends lately. I'd like to turn this into a career. But I'm wondering if I can make the same money. I'd love to be able to be completely done with my girlfriend's family. I don't have to be. But remaining in the family business will now require a lot of ass-kissing, allowing obnoxious amounts of intrusion, advise and opinions where they aren't asked for or warranted. I'd love to be done. And I'd love to pursue personal training. But am in love with the 150 I'd be making about a year from now. Can personal training be that lucrative? What can it segway into? Are you happy?

Cliffs:

- Left paradise
- Moved to Jersey
- It sucks
- Joined girlfriend's family business
- Hate her family
- To be part of the business is to deal with way more stress and bull*****t from her father and evil stepmother than I care to
- Want to be a personal trainer
- Greedy
- Worried I won't make the same 150k

What do?

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
How old r u? And you won't make 150k a year being a pt. not for awhile at least, they typically start round 50k a year full time working for a gym. If you successfully work independently from gyms, u might be able to pull 150k a year on a good year. But you would need to invest a lot of time in chain gyms first to build up clientele.

Why do you care about making more than her tho? Honestly, if it's what you want to do, makes you feel good, and makes enough to be happy in life, then she should be jealous of you. In the end, her job is from her family, your life is from what you make it

Domenic

Domenic

Awards
  • Established
No, no, the 150k isn't about making more than her or anyone. It's just about what I'd be making about a year from now if I stayed in her father's business, and I'm blinded by that figure. Part of me is telling me to just go on hating life in order to get to that salary. The other part of me is saying maybe it's possible to make the same amount doing something you like. A third part is saying 'who cares if you don't make 150k, at least it's something you like.' Don't know what to do.

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
150k is a lot of money. What's the work like? Usually that much requires a lot of business traveling

live to lift

live to lift

Awards
I manage a gym and have to put up with everyones sh*t making 30k a year u only have to deal with 2 aholes for 150k doesnt sound too bad to me

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
I know many personal trainers. They all started around 27-32k. Well those who actually started off getting a lot of clients. Many had second jobs at the start. They all love their lives.

This is also at a place of excess income. I would not expect 50k as a starting trainer. It's like being a teacher. You don't get into it for the money.

Other points...
A lot of clients want to train before work, you may need to be at the gym at 4 or 5 am

Clients all day. Hour here hour there. Not a straight work day

Weekends

Domenic

Domenic

Awards
  • Established
I do live in North Jersey. A lot of money to be spent and a lot of chubby housewives... I think it could be lucrative. I'm up training at 5:00a.m. anyway, so that's no major dealbreaker... still going back and forth.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Do what will be best for you. Maybe a little of both to get started?

Domenic

Domenic

Awards
  • Established
I was thinking I would start at a Gold's or something less stupid than 24 and end up in a gym more geared toward strength and conditioning what with the tires and the prowlers... :-/

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
I was thinking I would start at a Gold's or something less stupid than 24 and end up in a gym more geared toward strength and conditioning what with the tires and the prowlers... :-/
You ever look into crossfit training? It's starting to get pretty big, and its more expensive than normal gyms. Try to remember there's more to the field than just personal training at chain gyms. You can learn crossfit, boot camp, home training, owning a gym, nutritionist, physical therapy (lots of money here)

Domenic

Domenic

Awards
  • Established
THAT'S what I'm talking about. Buddy of mine got certified about a year ago... shortly after got nutritionist certification... now owns a bootcamp-style gym.

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
THAT'S what I'm talking about. Buddy of mine got certified about a year ago... shortly after got nutritionist certification... now owns a bootcamp-style gym.
Just do some hw before u leave a high paying job. Most cert organizations require a bachelors in a related area to get the specialization certs. If you don't ave any college behind you, you could really cripple yourself

Domenic

Domenic

Awards
  • Established
Just do some hw before u leave a high paying job. Most cert organizations require a bachelors in a related area to get the specialization certs. If you don't ave any college behind you, you could really cripple yourself
GOOD post! That could have been catastrophic. I only have about a year of college done.