Who knows stuff about cars?

kokobeware2

Awards
  • Established
Well I'm no car guru I can say that. I currently have an old crappy 1993 Chevy lumina. Not exactly a panty dropper I'll say that. Well I was at a stop light and my car stalled out so I started it a few times an finally got it running. Then I get home and my car is making this clicking noise. I tried adding 2 quarts of oil and it's still making it. When my car is idling, it seems to just stall out. Does anyone know what this could be? I was told my transmission but I doubt it. I was also told a dirty fuel filter. Idk though. Any ideas?

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
We need waaaaay more info before we can help you.

Does that have the infamous 3.1 in it? I believe it would. Just wondering...I doubt it matters here, but I have done a lot of work on that engine and similar cars (base Monte Carlo, older Lumina)

Are there any warning lights lit up? Like the Check Engine light or high temp?

Does the noise you hear change depending on engine speed, wheel speed, climate controls, operating temperature, etc?

Why did you add oil, was the dipstick showing a low level?

Dirty fuel filter would be nice, if that was the main problem. I always say start with the small/simple/cheap stuff like that, then work your way up on checking other things. In this case I doubt that is your only issue, however.

kokobeware2

Awards
  • Established
There was a warning light. It was the oil light. So that's why I added 2 quarts. And the clicking noise does go faster with speed. It's a clicking noise. I really can't drive my car without the risk of it stalling out. Even when I'm idling my car stalled out

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
OK, thanks, that's a little better.

Keep an eye on the oil level, and top it off if needed; two quarts is far less than the minimum you should be running in that engine!

Did the oil light coming on happen at the same time as the clicking? Or was it clicking before that?

Off the bat, I am guessing the two are not related. Nor do I think the stalling is related, although that may have to do with whatever is ticking.

It is a definite "click" rather than a very sharp, instantaneous "ticking" noise? Where is the noise coming from? Is the click rather high-pitched, low-pitched, or hard to tell?

Do you know what valves sound like when they tick?

I am thinking the click could be wheel, belt, or final drive-related, based on what you said.

Have you checked the wheels, hub, and brake area for anything that may be causing the click? That could be the simplest thing to rule out. Could be a small tree branch or piece of plastic caught somewhere.

Although your problems sound mechanical, and are probably nothing that the OBD (On Board Diagnostic) system will detect, if your car has an OBD-II port (I think it may be too old), you can bring it to most parts stores or shops and have them read the codes for free. Auto Zone is one I know that does it around here.

kokobeware2

Awards
  • Established
OK, thanks, that's a little better.

Keep an eye on the oil level, and top it off if needed; two quarts is far less than the minimum you should be running in that engine!

Did the oil light coming on happen at the same time as the clicking? Or was it clicking before that?

Off the bat, I am guessing the two are not related. Nor do I think the stalling is related, although that may have to do with whatever is ticking.

It is a definite "click" rather than a very sharp, instantaneous "ticking" noise? Where is the noise coming from? Is the click rather high-pitched, low-pitched, or hard to tell?

Do you know what valves sound like when they tick?

I am thinking the click could be wheel, belt, or final drive-related, based on what you said.

Have you checked the wheels, hub, and brake area for anything that may be causing the click? That could be the simplest thing to rule out. Could be a small tree branch or piece of plastic caught somewhere.

Although your problems sound mechanical, and are probably nothing that the OBD (On Board Diagnostic) system will detect, if your car has an OBD-II port (I think it may be too old), you can bring it to most parts stores or shops and have them read the codes for free. Auto Zone is one I know that does it around here.
Thanks! Now come to think of it it is a ticking noise. It sounds like its coming from the drivers side part of the engine.

My oil light was on for a bit then it went off. About 5 miles up the roa after it went off I was at a stop light and it stalled out. I got it to start again amazingly and I got the car home. When I lifted up my hood it smelled like something was burning. Then I unscrewed my oil cap and that is when I really smelled it. I put the two quarts in I started it and that's when I noticed the ticking noise. I would take it to auto zone but idk if I could make it there

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Are you blowing any smoke out? Blue is oil, and if that's the case, the ticking would be a valve problem. The hot smell, my guess, is that you're running on low oil and the engine is really heating it up. Of course, check for leaks on the ground under the vehicle. If the engine isn't getting oil circulation, the oil pump may be bad and needs replaced. If that's the case, it could cause a slew of problems inside the engine itself, just from not being lubricated.

kokobeware2

Awards
  • Established
Are you blowing any smoke out? Blue is oil, and if that's the case, the ticking would be a valve problem. The hot smell, my guess, is that you're running on low oil and the engine is really heating it up. Of course, check for leaks on the ground under the vehicle. If the engine isn't getting oil circulation, the oil pump may be bad and needs replaced. If that's the case, it could cause a slew of problems inside the engine itself, just from not being lubricated.
I have the video I recorded on my phone and it's more of a click click click and gets faster when I rev it

Diesel0022

Diesel0022

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like valve/lifter noise. The stalling makes it sound like a larger problem though.

Does it do anything before it stalls? Do you induce it somehow? IE. hit the throttle, does it only happen on hills, etc

kokobeware2

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like valve/lifter noise. The stalling makes it sound like a larger problem though.

Does it do anything before it stalls? Do you induce it somehow? IE. hit the throttle, does it only happen on hills, etc
Well I know it's gonna stall out because I hear it sputtering and then it dies out. Does anyone think it's a big expensive problem? I have 1 grand SAved up and my lumina has 126k on it so is it time to get Rid of her?

Diesel0022

Diesel0022

Awards
  • Established
Not nearly, find a shop that does free diagnostics(IE. Midas), get them to check spark/fuel pressure/etc.

kokobeware2

Awards
  • Established
Not nearly, find a shop that does free diagnostics(IE. Midas), get them to check spark/fuel pressure/etc.
Thanks man. The only problem is idk if I can make it to one lol. It stalls out very quickly

kokobeware2

Awards
  • Established
Thanks man. The only problem is idk if I can make it to one lol. It stalls out very quickly
But when I started it this morning it just made a clicking noise. Didn't stall out in idle position. Maybe I'll chance it and go for a ride in a bit

Speedyboy3

Speedyboy3

Awards
Probabley the radiator if it smells like its burning.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Go to the dealer and get it fixed. 126,000 miles isn't much so it may be worth it to get it fixed. Just go and at least get an estimate.

kokobeware2

Awards
  • Established
Go to the dealer and get it fixed. 126,000 miles isn't much so it may be worth it to get it fixed. Just go and at least get an estimate.
Thanks man. I actually junked it. I apparently had a bad oil leak and it ran out of oil. But a 2012 Hyundai elantra. 40 mpg. Much more economic lol