Traveling to Europe

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've decided I will be making a trip to Europe for about a month next summer. I opened up a bank account to start saving and was wondering what a good figure would be?

Any guys on here have experience or know of anyone who does? I'm not counting the flight or hotels into the cost, I'm just talking about spending money. Time will be split between Sweeden, Croatia, Germany & Ireland (places where my friends live) for an idea of currency and cost. Thanks in advance!

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
No Switzerland??? I want to go there so bad and probably move there.

W

warsteiner

Awards
  • Established
It really depends on how you want to live. If you are going to be eating out every day and drinking a lot each night then it's going to be more expensive. I live in Germany (Cologne) and, as a guide in the centre, you are talking around €4.50 for half a litre of beer, €7 for a McDonalds/fast food type "meal"/€20 for a meal in a cheap restaurant/€30 for a meal in a steak house. The prices can vary from place to place and if you drink/eat on the outskirts of a city or in a town it's going to be cheaper than in a city centre.

Ireland is probably going to be about the same price but Dublin is very expensive and I have heard reports of people paying up to €10 for a pint of Guinness. I was in Sweden (Stockholm) for a business trip last year and the prices were also about the same. In Croatia you should get some really cheap food/drink if you are outside of the main tourist areas.

Whereabouts in Germany are your friends? Are they US Army in Ramstein?

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No Switzerland??? I want to go there so bad and probably move there.
I may make a stop, the other places are where good friends of mine live.

It really depends on how you want to live. If you are going to be eating out every day and drinking a lot each night then it's going to be more expensive. I live in Germany (Cologne) and, as a guide in the centre, you are talking around EUR4.50 for half a litre of beer, EUR7 for a McDonalds/fast food type "meal"/EUR20 for a meal in a cheap restaurant/EUR30 for a meal in a steak house. The prices can vary from place to place and if you drink/eat on the outskirts of a city or in a town it's going to be cheaper than in a city centre.

Ireland is probably going to be about the same price but Dublin is very expensive and I have heard reports of people paying up to EUR10 for a pint of Guinness. I was in Sweden (Stockholm) for a business trip last year and the prices were also about the same. In Croatia you should get some really cheap food/drink if you are outside of the main tourist areas.

Whereabouts in Germany are your friends? Are they US Army in Ramstein?
Wow thanks for the insight! He lives outside Berlin, he's actually from there. A college buddy who played on my schools soccer team. Same goes for the Irishman. The German and Croat have lots of money so they're useless to ask these things too.

My Irish friend is a working class guy and he gave me a realistic figure of a few hundred while I'm with him (lives just outside Dublin).

I'll be in Stockholm, Sweden. Any recommendations of places/bars to go or decent hotels? This is per request of the guys I'm traveling with, they all want to spend most their time there, I'll probably be flying solo going to the other places. They're pHD chem nerds and I think want to meet their future wives lol.

W

warsteiner

Awards
  • Established
Berlin is about the same price as Cologne provided you don't drink in the rip-off Irish bars in the centre of town. I can't really help you with places in Sweden as I was only there for 2 days and was taken around by customers in the evening. There is an ice bar right in the centre next to the train station that was something different and worth going to if you are only there for a couple of days. Surprisingly most of the bars in Stockholm seemed to sell Belgium beer and there were quite a few Belgian restaurants as well. I was looking forward to some Swedish food/beer but spent most of the 2 days drinking Belgium beer, which isn't really a bad thing.

There are quite a few Europeans on the board so I'm sure someone will be able to point you in the right direction for the Swedish part of your trip.

If you have a few 'free' days then you can always get a cheap flight to another country. You can fly pretty much anywhere in Europe within a couple of hours and there are plenty of cheap airlines (Ryanair, German Wings, Air Berlin, Easyjet) who have regular flights throughout Europe.

W

warsteiner

Awards
  • Established
Just to follow up on this, last night I found about about http://www.eardex.com, which has prices of food, drink, accommodation, etc. in towns/cities throughout the world.

M

MindMuscle12

Banned
Awards
depends entirely on how long you're staying where, what cities, what you buy. do you eat a lot? buy souvenirs? scandinavia is extremely expensive. i was just there for a couple weeks (i'm living in Austria).