Salvage motorcycles?

tilldeath

tilldeath

Awards
mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
Iono if you live out west but the tow yards in AZ always have bikes at their monthly or bi monthly auctions. Everyone rides out there and If you get locked up and your in more then 30 or 60 days can't remember exact but your scoot goes to the tow yard if nobody else picks it up for you. Theres tons of tow yards and it's worth a look. I remember one of the guys I was at MMI with picked up an Ducati monster for $800. Pretty crazy. Apperently the bikes go for cheap (basically impound fees) since most bidders come for cars.

tilldeath

tilldeath

Awards
that's what it seems and I know salvage titles aren't great if you're looking to sell it later but as a personal use I don't see a down side. Just trying to make sure before I laid down cash.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
Well if you hit up the tow lot auctions you can most likely get a bike with a clean title if your lucky

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The VIN posted above has a clear title (I am licensed as a car dealer, so I have an unlimited CarFax subscription).

Be advised many insurance companies will not insure vehicles with any kind of salvage, rebuild, or water damage titles. Theft recovery, perhaps, but rarely the ones that imply damage.

tilldeath

tilldeath

Awards
The VIN posted above has a clear title (I am licensed as a car dealer, so I have an unlimited CarFax subscription).

Be advised many insurance companies will not insure vehicles with any kind of salvage, rebuild, or water damage titles. Theft recovery, perhaps, but rarely the ones that imply damage.
thx for the heads up, only thing I worry on insurance is covering other vehicle damage and bodily damage.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I need info on this for Georgia. I'm looking to get a Ninja 600 or Suzuki 600 before the end of spring. Really the next 30-60days

tattoopierced1

Its super easy to find a clear titled bike for cheap. I'd rather go that route than a salvaged title IMO.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Its super easy to find a clear titled bike for cheap. I'd rather go that route than a salvaged title IMO.
Agreed. I don't think I would EVER buy a salvage bike. There are way too many things that can be wrong with one, and unless you are doing a ground up resto on it, you may miss something. Sometimes it's a very minute detail that can end up causing you to lay it down and oh, say, DIE!!!

There are plenty of used bikes out there. The smaller the cc's you are looking for, the easier it is to find, too. I've been helping 2 friends search for smaller scoots that they can get with part of their tax refund. One is looking for a Ninjette (Ninja 250) for less than 1500, and the other a small cruiser for the same price. Where I'm at in PA, the small sport bikes are really easy to find. Smaller cruisers are a bit more difficult, but definitely out there.

Definitely check your local craigslist for bikes. Other resources are smaller auction/selling sites, cycletrader.com, or you could even visit a local shop and just ask them what they have in stock or for places online or in the area for something to fit your budget.

tattoopierced1

Agreed. I don't think I would EVER buy a salvage bike. There are way too many things that can be wrong with one, and unless you are doing a ground up resto on it, you may miss something. Sometimes it's a very minute detail that can end up causing you to lay it down and oh, say, DIE!!!

There are plenty of used bikes out there. The smaller the cc's you are looking for, the easier it is to find, too. I've been helping 2 friends search for smaller scoots that they can get with part of their tax refund. One is looking for a Ninjette (Ninja 250) for less than 1500, and the other a small cruiser for the same price. Where I'm at in PA, the small sport bikes are really easy to find. Smaller cruisers are a bit more difficult, but definitely out there.

Definitely check your local craigslist for bikes. Other resources are smaller auction/selling sites, cycletrader.com, or you could even visit a local shop and just ask them what they have in stock or for places online or in the area for something to fit your budget.
Craigslist or cycletrader have a ton of bikes on there. There are used 600cc bikes for around the 2k mark and I picked up my TL1000R (1000cc) for 3k.

tilldeath

tilldeath

Awards
any tips on mileage on 600cc bikes, given proper maintenance?

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
2005 or newer, 600cc sport bike... I'd have to say somewhere around... maybe 12K tops? Most 'rockets' don't go all that far in a clip. They aren't really made for long distance comfort like a cruiser or tourer are. You can go to kelly blue book and look up the value of a bike. There's a nifty pop-up chart that they have that gives you expected mileage based on engine size and year. For mine, 1600cc non-touring (cruiser) from 2008, I should be around 16K miles. Just fired it up yesterday at 22,667 miles. It didn't see road till 2009 so yeah... I ride. :D

tattoopierced1

I've seen sport bikes that are fine with 50,xxx+ miles on them. I ride the crap out of mine, bought this one in Sept. had 10,xxx on it, it now has almost 14,xxx. I take it on longer trips, short trips, ride the twisties, and commute to and from work with it.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've seen sport bikes that are fine with 50,xxx+ miles on them. I ride the crap out of mine, bought this one in Sept. had 10,xxx on it, it now has almost 14,xxx. I take it on longer trips, short trips, ride the twisties, and commute to and from work with it.
Hell yeah buddy!!! :cheers:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MikeSumthin General Chat 13
EVILADAMS Anabolics 17
General Chat 12