Status
Not open for further replies.
wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
Understanding life better...

Some people understand life better
And they call some of these people "retarded"...

At the Seattle Special Olympics, nine contestants, all physically or mentally disabled, assembled at the starting line for the 100-yard dash.

At the gun, they all started out, not exactly in a dash, but with a relish to run the race to the finish and win.

All, that is, except one little boy who stumbled on the asphalt, tumbled over a couple of times, and began to cry.

The other eight heard the boy cry.

They slowed down and looked back.

Then they all turned around and went back......every one of them.

One girl with Down's Syndrome bent down and kissed him and said, "This will make it better."

Then all nine linked arms and walked together to the finish line.

Everyone in the stadium stood, the cheering went on for several minutes. People who were there are still telling the story...

Why? Because deep down we know this one thing:

What matters in this life is more than winning for ourselves. What matters in this life is helping others win, even if it means slowing down and changing our course.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
a perfect place for a cruel joke

what's better than being in the special olympics?

not being fucking retarded.

Deano

Awards
Stories like that can really make you snap out of it. If most of us had half the heart that those people did we would all probably be much better off, in training and in life. Good post wranglergirl!

DEANO

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
That joke wasn't definitely in poor taste and didn't belong in this thread.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
I concur...
As do I. It's amazing how one simple post can speak volumes about the person behind the keyboard....

Thank you Wranglergirl. That brought a tear to my eye and I'm not even taking clomid. ;)

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
As do I. It's amazing how one simple post can speak volumes about the person behind the keyboard....
Maybe some people aren't touched by the same things you are. It's a thought. Quite frankly the little story didn't do anything for me. Cute, but I don't need cute anecdotes to tell me that being helpful and generally charitable in how I act is a good thing. I'm also fairly antagonistic to the idea that there's really anything to learn from mentally handicapped and/or primitives, other than why they're like that so it can hopefully be avoided in the future.

hogiejoe

Banned
Awards
Understanding life better...

Some people understand life better
And they call some of these people "retarded"...

At the Seattle Special Olympics, nine contestants, all physically or mentally disabled, assembled at the starting line for the 100-yard dash.

At the gun, they all started out, not exactly in a dash, but with a relish to run the race to the finish and win.

All, that is, except one little boy who stumbled on the asphalt, tumbled over a couple of times, and began to cry.

The other eight heard the boy cry.

They slowed down and looked back.

Then they all turned around and went back......every one of them.

One girl with Down's Syndrome bent down and kissed him and said, "This will make it better."

Then all nine linked arms and walked together to the finish line.

Everyone in the stadium stood, the cheering went on for several minutes. People who were there are still telling the story...

Why? Because deep down we know this one thing:

What matters in this life is more than winning for ourselves. What matters in this life is helping others win, even if it means slowing down and changing our course.
sorry but i don't want to read stuff like this in this forum.

hogiejoe

Banned
Awards
you want to see that kind of stuff at anabolicminds? not me

regino007

Awards
Well,this is a General Chat forum.We either choose to post and read what we want to.

hogiejoe

Banned
Awards
yeah i realize that this is general chat, i was just making my voice heard.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
http://www.snopes.com/glurge/special.htm

"Origins: The
story is more true than not, although its primary point has been grossly exaggerated. According to folks at the Special Olympics Washington office, the incident happened at a 1976 track and field event held in Spokane, Washington. A contestant did take a tumble, and one or two of the other athletes turned back to help the fallen one, culminating in their crossing the finish line together, but it was only one or two, not everyone in the event. The others continued to run their race.

The story is thus not about an entire class of "special people" who spontaneously tossed aside their own dreams of going for gold in favor of helping a fallen competitor, but rather one about a couple of individuals who chose to go to the aid of another contestant. Unfortunately, this tale as it is now being told helps further a stereotype
....."

Last edited:
wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
First it wasent a joke, it was an actual thing that happened, and being a coach for the last 9 yrs myself I have seen similar things happen, it's very sweet, and makes you stop and think........

Thanks to those who thought it was a good post, I did as well............:)

Status
Not open for further replies.