Union carpenters?

Manwhore

Awards
Are there any Union Carpenters here (In jersey would be nice)? I am thinking of joining a union because of the benefits and pension. I,also,hear the pay for journeymen is great. Anyone have any info for me? My wife and i just had a baby boy 3 weeks ago and i need a solid job with good pay and benefits for my son. My wife is a nurse and they are charging us $400 per month to add the little guy on her medical plan. I believe we would be paying that if we went out on our own for medical. She works in a nursing home and gets weekends and holidays off,which is why she doesn't want to work in a hospital. I want her to be confortable so i will leave my job as a subcontractor to go into a union. I know i will lose my freedom to work when and were i want.... even what time i start work but with the benefits and pension i don't mind. My wife's boss is leaving in 2yrs or less and my wife is up for the possition,so that should be a nice salary increase :) thanks for the help

BigBadBootyDady

Awards
Congrats on the baby boy. If you live in Jersy you should try a NYC local. You'll make more money and there's more work. I'm a union Steamfitter so I can't tell you much about carpenters benefits or retirement plan but I know there top scale is about 38 an hour. Also they have I think a 4 year apprentiship program but I think if your experienced they'll advance you. They are one of the harder working unions but are definetly one of the easier ones to get into.

Manwhore

Awards
Yeah,the apprentice program is something like 4 yrs,which is why i never wanted to join the union,but my fathers friend says he may be able to get me in as a journeyman at 40 something an hr. He told me that i wouldn't want apprentice because they only make half what journeymen make. Hey,if he can do it,i'll go for it. I don't want to go for NYC because i plan to move farther into NJ in a few years. I'm only 10min from the city which would be great for now but not when we move. Besides,i would hate driving into the city every morning. Sitting in traffic sucks. I can't see how people do it every day. I know there is time with no work in the union,so i'll just go back to what i do now,if i do get laid off. I think it's 6 months work yr to keep benefits,and that's basically what i am most worried about. It wouldn't bother me to work 6 months with the union and than 6 months on my own. There's plenty of work where i am now,it's just all Sub work with no medical and medical on the outside is crazy,since i never use it. It's just that when i need it that one time,i want to have it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mattierocks Supplement Auction 0
ELROCK Supplement Auction 13
Vincefort Supplements 2
WesleyInman Supplements 4
jackedviking Anabolics 15