GUNS: I was thinking of purchasing a Beretta 96FS

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I wanted to hear input on those who have owned one. How are they? Are they a good value, I've heard mixed opinions and are they a good home defense and carry gun? I was thinking of getting a 96 instead of a 92, just to have more stopping power and the Beretta is a full frame gun, so I figured why not get the .40 cal version since it's the same size as the 92. I think I'd like a bigger frame pistol as my first handgun. I don't have huge hands, but they are bigger than average.I know I was thinking about getting a .357 awhile ago, but there is just something about the Beretta.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Berettas have HUGE grips, I suggest holding one first and making sure you can get a proper grasp on it. Same with many 3rd gen and older Glocks. A lot of the choice also depnds on how much time (and $$) you are going to spend putting lead downrange practicing with the gun. Also for a carry weapon, full-size is only practial for some people. There really are a lot of nuances to handguns.

ManBeast

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Is your goal as a concealed carry, just home defense, target/marksmanship or a combo thereof?

Also, please explain your comment of "stopping power"

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Berettas have HUGE grips, I suggest holding one first and making sure you can get a proper grasp on it. Same with many 3rd gen and older Glocks. A lot of the choice also depnds on how much time (and $$) you are going to spend putting lead downrange practicing with the gun. Also for a carry weapon, full-size is only practial for some people. There really are a lot of nuances to handguns.

ManBeast
Well I do wear a big coat lol. I could probably find a way for concealed carry with a holster on the chest rather than on the hip.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Is your goal as a concealed carry, just home defense, target/marksmanship or a combo thereof?

Also, please explain your comment of "stopping power"
Combo, but concealed carry probably the least amount, probably more for home defense. What I meant by stopping power was the likelihood of the attacker not being able to get up after one shot.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Combo, but concealed carry probably the least amount, probably more for home defense. What I meant by stopping power was the likelihood of the attacker not being able to get up after one shot.
Do you really think that you are only going to shoot a person only once? There is a lot of misunderstanding about stopping power, caliber size and all that. I would be less concerned about caliber size then say shooting skills and preference of gun style and how it all feels.

For me, unless it's a sniper shot I never fire a single shot. Always in pairs at a minimum. For home defense it would be a double tap to the chest. That's gonna be more effective regardless of caliber than a single shot unless that shot is to the brain box or luckily hit spine or some such. Then there is the old and trusted failure drill. A pair to the chest and one to the brain box.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The 96 IMO is kind of big for concealed. Not that you can't, just there are better options out there.

gaijininjapan

Awards
  • Established
Failure drills are great fun! But I digress.

Around power depends on the ammo. Get to a range, and test out the guns. Then decide after putting at least 100 rnds through each pistol.

Personally, the m9 had easy too large grips for me, but I got used to it and was on our company shooting team. But if you had a choice, why not start with one that already fits you?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, stopping power is mostly gun magazine and "mall-ninja" bull****... if its a .25 or a .45, don't stop pulling the trigger (as long as its on target of course) until the threat is neutralized.

ManBeast

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
Beretta is a fine gun, if you are going to go with it, look into the 90-two updated/improved m9/fs/92

The 90-Two represents the continuing evolution of a legendary pistol. It introduces new improvements to form, fit and function, while maintaining the integrity and reputation of its predecessor, the world famous 92FS. Although the 90-Two offers more individualized performance, the operating controls are identical to those of the 92FS/M9/M9A1, making it completely familiar to those already trained in the use of the older pistols. Many of the internal components, as well as the magazines, are completely interchangeable with those of the previous generation 92 series. Here are the new features:

A. Slide Serrations: Increased surface area
for better grip during slide retraction.
B. Updated Styling: Beretta once again partnered with the world-famous Giugiaro Design industrial design firm to enhance the appeal and ergonomics of the 90-Two.
C. Weight Reduction: The skeletonized
frame of the 90-Two grip design has resulted
in a lighter pistol.
D. Removable Front Sight: Allows user to
replace existing sights with accessory sight
systems or replace damaged sight.
E. Internal Recoil Buffer: Increases service
life by reducing stress on the receiver created
by the more powerful .40 S&W ammunition.
F. Individual Size Grips: Single-piece, wraparound,
technopolymer grip is user replaceable
with an optional smaller grip. Allows
user to select most comfortable size, while
reducing the part count by thirteen.
G. Magazine Capacity: Increased to hold
up to 17 rounds in 9mm and 12 rounds in
.40 S&W. Magazines from standard 92 series
models are completely interchangeable with
those of the 90-Two
H. Caliber Availability: The 90-Two is available
in both the 9mm and the .40 S&W.
I. Accessory Rail: The frame of the 90-Two
has a Picatinny MIL-STD-1913 rail for rapid
attachment of tactical lights and laser aiming
devices. Includes removable rail cover

One of the best guns I own, accurate, few ftf even with crappy ammo and I WOULD trust it with my life.

Bolanrox

Bolanrox

Awards
that's a nice looking gun for sure.

Have to agree in terms of home defense, if i had a weapon, i somehow doubt if it came to it only one shot would be involved.

feel and ease of use should be the top choices last you want is fumbling with the safety or something

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
home defense... 12 guage pump action loaded with #1 buck.... chest first, if they don't drop from that, go for the pelvis...

ManBeast

gaijininjapan

Awards
  • Established
Agreed that for home defense, a 12-ga w/ any load really... attach a light to it, retractable stock, and you'll be set. the sound of racking a shotgun would make an intruder piss in his pants. A bit hard to conceal though...

With the right rounds, stopping power is moot really... so go downrange and pick what pistol fits right and feels right for you. and remember that you'll need to train and fire several 100 rounds through it first, so ammo costs will be a consideration as well.

Masciaman

Masciaman

Awards
colt .45 for home defense and springfield .40 XD for concealed carry :X the .40 is smaller but not too small and still has a lot of stopping power (obviously) and the .45 is bigger and heavier so i keep that at home :) ive never shot a beretta .40 but my dad has a beretta 9mm which well from the picture thats posted looks about the same size idk about weight but i love the way it feels

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
imo Beretta's are some ugly guns, quality wise i'm not really sure never looked into them.....but if i was to ever buy another hand gun, i'd go with springfield or most likely a glock

DangerDave

DangerDave

Awards
The beretta is a great all round gun. Remember you get what you pay for when it comes to handguns. The Beretta doesnt break often, can take some abuse, is very simple to break down and clean, and is light on the pocket book. And for stopping power.... shoot till the threat stops Chest, Pelvis and Face!

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, and if you plan on carrying, have a lawyer on retainer that understands gun laws and use of lethal force, also a decent idea if you just have for home protection.

If you have to use it, do not give a statement immediately to the police, cooperate and say that you are more than glad to help them, but you wish to invoke your right to counsel and speak with them first before giving a statement. 9/10 the cops will be on your side in a defensive shooting, but different states have different rules about what constitutes defensive. For example, in some states, you have to prove that not only was your life in danger, but that you retreated as far as possible from the threat before shooting, while in some other states you don't have to "retreat" at all.

Also http://www.amazon.com/Gravest-Extreme-Firearm-Personal-Protection/dp/0936279001
is a great read by one of the top experts in the field.

ManBeast