Puts things in perspective

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
G-S from freakz put this up recently. I'm not a sentimental guy by any means but this really hit home. See what ya'll think and if you can relate.

My name is GS, and I'm an Anabolic Freak

Thought I would address a topic that I think many of us battle with, yet I've never seen anyone talk about it.

When I began serious weight training, some 7+ years ago, I had many hobbies, and many things I enjoyed doing.

I was an avid hunter, loved camping, and loved the outdoors. I was one of the biggest sports nuts you would ever find, and I spent the majority of my time honing my fantasy football skills. I kept in close contact with the majority of my "good" buds that I grew up with. Spoke to them often, and always hung out with them and their wives, and kids, etc.

In the year 2000, things began to change. Ive never admitted it to anyone, not even my wife, but I think they have changed for the worse. Things I used to enjoy mean nothing to me now. I haven't pulled my bow out and went deer hunting in 3 years. I've spent less and less time in the woods since I started using AAS. I've began to care less and less if I see an old buddy or not. I tend to get an attitude now and again that makes it not very fun to be around. I don't speak to my parents NEAR as much as I used to. I don't like to be inconvinenced by anyone, not even my own kids.

Why?

The only thing that seems important to me now is my own body, and how big and strong I can be. I wake up, walk right to the bathroom, and look in the mirror. I plan cycles that I'll never do. I continually beat myself up over the fact that somewhere, in some gym, there is someone that is stronger, and more intimidating than I.

When I first got into this, I said "20lbs is all I want". That was countless amounts of gear ago, and I'm still not where I think I should be. I'm not shy to admit it, but this AAS use, and weight training has consumed my life, and is driving away those who care about me most.

I need to make changes. Not sure how, not sure when. But I do need to change.

No, I'm not going anywhere. Even if I ever did go clean, I'd still be here to support my brothers and sisters in the iron game. But, I just wanted to lay this on the line, in hopes that those newbies who get into this with the mind set that they can get where they want - it most likely won't happen.

There are more important things in life than this - we all know that. So if you are new, don't let the same things happen to you that have happened to me. Because if I sat here and told you that AAS use is NOT addictive, I'd be a liar. I'm living proof.

Sincerely - GS

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
This is why I keep up on my other activities that I enjoy:
Drumming.
Socializing with my friends.
Concerts.
"Urban Assult" biking.
Golfing.
Raquetball.
I really do love doing all this, getting bigger and stronger and (maybe) better lookin. But I learned a long time ago that one of the keys to being truly happy is to have a variety of interests and activities to participate in on a regular basis. It really helped to "balance" me out.

ManBeast

size

Awards
  • Established
I understand exactly what he is going thru. It has happened to me and caused me to pull away over the past 14 months from AAS usage and training/eating. I was obsessive with my body image and let it dictate my life. Fortunately, like GS, I recognized this and tried to resolve the situation. This resolution(fortunately or unfortunately depending on my outlook) has changed my physique.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Gee, sounds familiar.

Hey Beelzebub, if you ever are in contact with him, tells he is spot on.

This sport is more mental than anything.

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I never understood why it happens,but here is a shot at it...I know alot of bodybuilders and these guys won Mr Universe he is retired now so ill give you his name..Victor Terra and also Todd Ganci who trains most of the pros today..These guys are not just aquaintences they are friends,Victor trained for my Bay state show in 1991 and im working with Todd right now as a matter od fact..

Most of the bodybuilders I know are self centered,ego maniacs and I have to admit I can at times be the same way.I am a type A personality when I do something it's all or nothing and that causes problems.Im sure alot of you guys who compete are the same.This sport can consume me and I used to let it,today I fight it but its hard.I cant walk by a magazine wrack without looking for a muscle mag even though I know I have everyone of them.Im obsessed with food labels,I look at athletes and I compare thier physiques to mine (excuse my spelling today) I tend not too hang out with friends that do not train(Big problem) and I can be very judgenental of others...

I think about bodybuilding all day, I visualize my next day workout,I stand in a mirror and admirer or i get so pissed because changes are not happening quick enough..

Now I just sit back,and I put the magazine down and go play a video game with my daughter or just sit and talked to my wife oh ya and not about me..

I know what you are going through,I don't know how old you are but im 45 and am able to do other things and enjoy them..I did quit training 10 years ago and did nothing for 8 years but eat,drink,smoke and I didn't give two shits about it.
Maybe I needed that type of break, but what a pain in the ass it has been to get back

Your not alone but if you do not do something even counceling it can ruin your life,but I certainly appreciate your honesty..its not easy..good luck.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have read a lot of posts from guys like you beelzebub. You just need to relax and not spend all your money on "gear". I also see a lot of guys that spend all there money on worthless supplements. I mean these people are spending $500 or more on supplements!. Just imagine how much extra money you would have if you didn't spend it on useless crap. You don't have to workout constantly to get big either. Take a break, find a hobby. I mean even if some of you guys cut down to only spend half of what you are spending now on bodybuilding, you might be able to take a nice vacation like our friend sledge. To be truely happy and content, you can't be obessed with wanting things, because you will never get there...You have to be content and happy with what you have already!. Never compare yourself to others!. Only compare yourself with yourself!. MadMan if you keep comparing yourself you others you will never be happy because there is always someone stronger, bigger, and leaner than you. For christs sake go do something that has NOTHING TO DO WITH BODYBUILDING.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Even though i've only been doing PH for about 3 years I can totally empathize with GS and what he is saying.

Fortunately I've come to the conclusion more rapidly than a lot of other people who have gone over board.

I've set limitations for myself as to how far I am willing to go with the muscle building game.

First off, I'm never going to compete..ever. I'm not a competitive person to begin with and if I ventured into competitive BBing I'd either be lost forever to it or bitterly disappointed by it.

I've set a mass goal of 200-215 pounds tops, before cutting. My lifestyle is an active one and I have noticed that like GS, I don't fish as much, hardly mountain bike any more for fear of losing mass, and hiking/mountain climbing is getting harder the bigger I get which sucks because this is what I do for a living all spring and summer long.

When I was out in the field this summer I was obsessing about getting enough food and rest instead of focusing on my job and all the fun I normally have doing it. I was born to be a field biologist not an obsessed, narcissistic bodybuilder damnit!

If I cannot maintain my goal wieght of 200 pounds WITHOUT the use of anabolics then I will let my lifestyle and eating habits decide my wieghtand physique. I refuse to be a slave to eating my whole life, it's not realistic and it's kinda like torture making myself eat chicken when I'm NOT hungry. lol

Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for all that I have learned from this pursuit. Things like ALCAR have changed my life for the better. Knowing what supps to take to treat ailments is awesome knowledge. Knowing that if I am injured badly i can regrow what I've lost with anabolics, IGF and GH is reassurring. Knowledge is the pan-ultimate benefit of this pursuit for me.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
That obsession is for real. Seems a lot of us can relate on some level. Striving to maintain balance in life is key. I'm guilty as hell of going overboard on bodybuilding issues, and I need to keep it all in check. Thanks for posting that. It probably isn't a bad idea to have threads (or even a forum) to bounce these ideas around. Seems like most people here are interested in bettering ourselves and helping others to do the same. Discussions, ideas, advice and experience shared will probably benefit everyone. I'm in a better place just reading this, and I feel like I can relate on a very human level to others. Bodybuilding is a great life-enhancer if used properly. If it spins out of control, though, it becomes a liability and takes from us the things in life we're supposed to enjoy. Good topic...

supersoldier

supersoldier

She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
Awards
  • Established
I can see how one might get carried away... :rolleyes:

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Excellent topic.
Lets not forget though, others reinforce our attitudes. Guys and girls (equally). Compliments give us pride, a sense of achievement, and a desire to go further.