What Anti-Virus Program Do You Use?

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
What anti virus program do you use on your PC? Right now, Im using Norton2004. I dig it, but it seems like its kind of a resource hog. I get some very slight 'jumping' in FarCry when Norton is running on autoprotect, and Im running a decently fast system. (AMD64 3200+, 1GB DDR400, ATI Radeon9800XT)

When I shut Norton down, its smooth as silk. Im looking for a program that operates just as well at detecting virii but dosent infiltrate so much of my OS.

Any suggestions?

BV

TheChosen1

TheChosen1

Awards
I use Norton too but it doesn't seem to catch any Trojans.
Go to www.grisoft.com and download the AVG anti-virus (free version) or www.nai.com and download the Stinger. You'll have to download the Stinger in a floppy disc though.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Ive heard of AVG - how is it on system resources?

TheChosen1

TheChosen1

Awards
It's pretty good. It doesn't use up too much space on your hard drive. I used it for about a year before buying the Norton Internet Security, which I later removed anyway.

Another very good anti-virus that I've used is Kaspersky AV. If it finds a virus, it will disinfect the file. If it can't be disinfected, you can delete the whole file. But in that case, you'll have to be careful as to what file you delete. :hammer:

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
I just replaced Norton with Panda AV. Panda immediately found two trojans that Norton has somehow missed. Norton is a shadow of its former self. Go with Panda and spring for the Platinum edition which includes the Panda Firewall.

TheChosen1

TheChosen1

Awards
I just replaced Norton with Panda AV. Panda immediately found two trojans that Norton has somehow missed. Norton is a shadow of its former self. Go with Panda and spring for the Platinum edition which includes the Panda Firewall.
Good idea, SirFoxx.
That's exactly what I'm talking about. When I was using Kaspersky (a German company), I got the same results. I remember one weekend, I picked up 31 Trojans (I think from emails) and Kaspersky wiped them all out.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I run AVG or Symantec Corporate edition, they both work wonderfully and don't hog resources like the Norton products (although Symantec is the parent company of Norton). McAfee is complete **** IMO. AVG is about as good as you'll get for free.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the input guys, Im trying AVG right now. I can't believe what a hog Norton is. Windows runs OK when auto-protect is enabled, but you can definately see performance lag in games.

Sheesh

Awards
  • Established
I don't settle for any less than Panda Antivirus. It's simply the best. It's much better at finding viruses than Norton and AVG, and it also takes up alot less system resources (with auto-detect on, I just checked taskmanager - 0% CPU usage, and 12 MB ram).

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the tip on SpywareBlaster EEMain - what a simple program! Just install and that's it.

You know, after reading your post Sheesh I checked Task Manager - Norton autoprotect is using 0% CPU and ~5MB Ram. BUT, my peer to peer program, Shareaza, is jumping between 2% and 10% CPU usage and is using 23MB of Ram. Now that could be my system bottleneck.

Back to system protection...I now have:

1.)The hardware firewall on my US Robotics router
2.)Norton AntiVirus 2004
3.)StopZilla
4.)SpywareBlaster
5.)Adaware run/updated 1x a week
6.)Spybot Search and Destroy run/updated 1x a week

That should do me for internet protection...

BV

TheChosen1

TheChosen1

Awards
I don't settle for any less than Panda Antivirus. It's simply the best. It's much better at finding viruses than Norton and AVG, and it also takes up alot less system resources (with auto-detect on, I just checked taskmanager - 0% CPU usage, and 12 MB ram).
Where can I find Panda, Sheesh?
I've tried cnet.com and download.com but they don't list it.

Cogar

Awards
  • Established
I've tried Norton (too much program interference) and McAfee (poor support if anything goes wrong). This year, I tried Trend Micro Internet Security (formerly PC-cillin) and so far the results seem fine. It is less obtrusive than the other programs, does not seem to affect other applications (including games).

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Norton seems to working OK right now. Im going to try Panda AV though, in order to compare the two.

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
i dont :) i prefer system speed over anything running in the background save for aim and my ac97 soundcard controller software...

part of the reason my computer does a full cold bootup sequence in less than 35 seconds ;) i dont go download stupid things and i use hotmail email which prescans for viruses and macros already... i realize the risks; but by being careful i've never ever gotten a virus except for codered; but that was a DoS-attack virus hitting IIS5, not something on my computer

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Ah, but Im building this system for a friend who is *completely* computer illiterate, and this is his first system. AND he lives in Florida, and Im in NY. If his PC were to get blitzed by some dumb-ass internet infection, he'd be screwed. So Im trying to give him the best protection/performance ratio.

BV

aznurse

Awards
Use all freeware: Spybot, Ad-aware and Zone Alarm. Also
avoid I.E and use Mozilla. Mozilla is also freeware.

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
i can understand that :)

i have a similar system to yours
amd64 3200+ (newcastle core), 1gig ddr400, 9800xt 256 card
system is supa-fast :) I run corp edition WinXP Pro, still havent seen a computer faster than mine in general operation yet in person

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I am *very* impressed with this CPU! Only gripe I have is that the temp sensors on the motherboard (MSI K8N Neo Platinum) are all out of wack and dont read correctly. CPU idles around 40C, and yet it will show readings from 40C, sometimes flip right up to 60C. No big deal, but its annoying. Great MB otherwise, though.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Laptop PC just did an article on anti-virus programs. Suprisingly PC-Cillan was the best in the tests. I have had it before and it isn't that bad on resources. I, too, am a Norton hater as it does take up infinite resources (pain in my ass).

Bump on Spybot and Ad-Aware!

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Just rebooted the system and now Motherboard Monitor 5 is reporting CPU idle at 42C!! When I shut it down, it was reporting an idle of 60C!! Im ordering a fan controller with a temp sensor, damn it!

Laptop PC just did an article on anti-virus programs. Suprisingly PC-Cillan was the best in the tests. I have had it before and it isn't that bad on resources. I, too, am a Norton hater as it does take up infinite resources (pain in my ass).

Bump on Spybot and Ad-Aware!
How did norton compare in their tests bro? Im debating whether or not to take it off and try something else.

BigTEX

BigTEX

Awards
Just rebooted the system and now Motherboard Monitor 5 is reporting CPU idle at 42C!! When I shut it down, it was reporting an idle of 60C!! Im ordering a fan controller with a temp sensor, damn it!
Have you tried using the MSI monitoring utility? or something other than MM5 like Speedfan?

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
CoreCell (The MSI Utility) actually shows temps that are 5C above MM5's. Its odd, sometimes Ill do a cold boot and the temp will come up at what I know it is, ~40C, other times it comes up 15C higher. Right now, for instance, MM5 is showing 57C, which I know is incorrect. My system temp is a cool 29C. I can feel the heatsink and its barely warm.

Ive read that the K8N board has has trouble with the CPU temp sensor, and some A64 chips. Sometimes a BIOS flash fixes it. In my case it didnt:)

Its really not a big deal as long as the actual temp is where Iwant it, but its annoying the the system isnt 100% perfect after all the work I put into it:)

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
what motherboard are you running and do you get any jump in doom3?
i dont get any at all :)

farcry ran bootiful on my pc too

edit: just read it sorry
i've got the Abit K87V SE.... all the goodies :) got a free tshirt with it and a free copy of farcry on dvd... prolly because it was with the AMD promotion i bought

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Doom3 is flawless, as is FarCry maxed out. Got my 9800Pro flashed to XT bios and overclocked to 422Core/365 Mem. Runs quite well with that mammoth Arctic VGA cooler I bolted onto it:)

Hey Bean - its cool we're running basically the same system, with different motherboards. (Well this is my friend's system but I might build one for myself:)) Have you tried benchmarking your system with 3DMark03? Im pulling a consistent 6700. You should check it out - its a good measure of gaming performance.

What case did you go with?

BV

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
i've got an antec supertower; has a 450w superquiet power supply and 4 60mm fans...
bought it at bestbuy with my discount for like $60 or so; its the newest model; its a flatblack paint instead of gloss; i really like it

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Avast, 60 days free trial, but you can load the newer versions every 30 days and start all over. I never end up buying one!

Gethuge

Gethuge

Awards
  • Established
What anti virus program do you use on your PC? Right now, Im using Norton2004.
First suggestion......kill the Norton AV!! It's crap and takes up huge amounts of RAM and CPU resources.

Get AVG antivirus. It's FREE!! It uses up very minimal amounts or processing power and is kept very up to date (even more so than norton actually). Can't beat that!

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
just a follow up - installed the 1.4 BIOS revision for the MSI K8N and now Im showing proper temps. CPU idling at 35C. Now that's not too shabby:)

BV