ever get your machine taken from you????

T

Tboz

Banned
Awards
Today at the gym this ****er tried taking smith machine when i went to get some water. Was gone mayb 3mins, and had my bag next to it so they would no someone is using it. As I walk back there the ****er goes "u were on it"!! Why the **** would you move someones station around when clearly was marked.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah that happens to me on numerous occasions. I usually just walk up and shake my head at them while I readjusting it back to where I had it. If they say anything I just say "gotta wait your turn man."

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Happens to me all the time weather it be my station getting hijacked or someone going to a piece of equipment just as i am, its really the worst like today i just got done with a warmup was heading over to the only squat rack in the place and literally no one ever squats at this gym i've literally never seen anyone use this squat rack when i've been there the past 3 weeks and as im two feet away some lady cuts me off and goes in it does like 2 sets of squats with just the bar then i quickly sniped back the position when she finished.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Today at the gym this ****er tried taking smith machine when i went to get some water. Was gone mayb 3mins, and had my bag next to it so they would no someone is using it. As I walk back there the ****er goes "u were on it"!! Why the **** would you move someones station around when clearly was marked.
Well, technically if you weren't using it then it's up for grabs isn't it? Thinking that having an article of clothing or a bag lying next to it would mark it as yours isn't really going to get the point across. In order to keep it, you have to be using it ;). Plus, 3min is a really long time man. It's a gym... live, love..... share. :D

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Well, technically if you weren't using it then it's up for grabs isn't it? Thinking that having an article of clothing or a bag lying next to it would mark it as yours isn't really going to get the point across. In order to keep it, you have to be using it ;). Plus, 3min is a really long time man. It's a gym... live, love..... share. :D
agreed.

besides the only thing a smith machine is good for is face pulls and to hold towels

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
On the rare occasion that I use the lat pulldown machine, I always have to fight the geriatrics for it. There are those that run around doing what I guess is some sort of circuit training - more like running from machine to machine using every piece of equipment in the place (wrongly). They'll take 5 minutes inbetween sets on one thing just to make their rounds, and get in their way and they don't care. I've already been doing something with triceps on the lat pd, had my towel on the knee bar and my shaker cup on the seat and some old bassturd came over and not only moved my stuff to the FLOOR, but switched the bar attachment on me. I had JUST left the machine to walk 30 feet to the water fountain and was gone 30 seconds. I was floored. But it's ok... they'll never find where I buried him.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You ate him didn't you Tim...

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Just give them the ole chest bump. and keep it moving! LOL

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I go to the bathroom before I leave for the gym or as soon as I get there. I stay at a station until I'm done using it (unless I have to give someone a spot, or go to the water fountain -- either of which take about 30 seconds). I have a towel with me, my notebook and my half-gallon jug with my intra-workout concoction in it.

3 minutes is enough time that it's up for grabs as far as I'm concerned. Where I work out, people don't put their weights away and that's always my excuse if I "take" someone's station. I can't tell the difference. If I didn't see you on it within a minute or two before, or if you've vacated it for long enough (to go to the bathroom, go text someone, or jumping to another machine like Tim mentioned), it's fair game.

That's why, as far as I'm concerned, if you want to circuit train like that, you go to the gym at an obscure hour when it's empty. Back in the day, when I would utilize superset training, I'd go early in the morning when there was maybe one other person in there, so I knew I could do that. Even then, I was still done with the 3 or 4 stations I was using in a total of no more than 10 minutes.

No one is going to wait on you if you give them an opening and I'm sure not waiting on someone else unless they're actually using the machine.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You were gone for 3 minutes in a public gym and expected everyone else to wait?

In a really busy gym this could involve people in a queue to use your bench rather than quickly jumping in the middle. You deserved to have it taken. Think about it, next time you go to the gym and 20 guys are in the free weights area they could technically 'reserve' 20 pieces of equipment in between their sets. If everyone was doing 3 sets of the same exercise and waiting 3 minutes between each you have a good 10 minute period where all 20 pieces are out of action.

It is a public gym, not a home gym- learn to share. If I were him I would have moved your stuff as well and told you why. :)

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
On the rare occasion that I use the lat pulldown machine, I always have to fight the geriatrics for it. There are those that run around doing what I guess is some sort of circuit training - more like running from machine to machine using every piece of equipment in the place (wrongly). They'll take 5 minutes inbetween sets on one thing just to make their rounds, and get in their way and they don't care. I've already been doing something with triceps on the lat pd, had my towel on the knee bar and my shaker cup on the seat and some old bassturd came over and not only moved my stuff to the FLOOR, but switched the bar attachment on me. I had JUST left the machine to walk 30 feet to the water fountain and was gone 30 seconds. I was floored. But it's ok... they'll never find where I buried him.
That's the one beauty of getting old. You learn to use it as an excuse and your too old to care otherwise lol.

phatmike0704

phatmike0704

Awards
  • Established
well there are those annoyin morons that actually leave ther stuff at one machine or bench then walk around and do oter things or talk to people. i do a 5 mintue limit, if ther not there by then then im taking it. no use in wasting everyone elses time

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In my case it usually gets taken as soon as I walk away, by some 16 year old with the facebook app on his phone. If I could read his status updates they would probably say "just sitting on some guy's machine not doing anything while he stands there staring in disbelief."

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You ate him didn't you Tim...
Why, whatever gave you that idea?

burp

That's the one beauty of getting old. You learn to use it as an excuse and your too old to care otherwise lol.
Thing is, at any one time, there's maybe 5 people TOPS using the weight equipment at my gym, including both free weights and machines, and most often the cardio stuff as well. There's NO REASON to do anything like this. Grrrrr....

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Guys guys! If you're going to keep this negative behavior going, there's already a thread created for that, its called Douchebags at the gym!
Lol :)

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Thing is, at any one time, there's maybe 5 people TOPS using the weight equipment at my gym, including both free weights and machines, and most often the cardio stuff as well. There's NO REASON to do anything like this. Grrrrr....
Exactly. There is no reason, but if dude is old well there's the built in excuse that everyone wants. It's just like having kids. Once you do, you have an excuse for everything.

808rebel

808rebel

Awards
happens all the time. the more u think about it the harder it is on urself.

I simply walk over, frowning of course, demand eye contact. And when they say "were u using this?" simply say yes. works every time.

owlicks

owlicks

Awards
How about the flip side though? It bugs the sh*t out of me when some horribly out of shape person is on the squat rack for five hours. Whenever anyone asks how many sets I have left on something, I will always invite them to work in, which is just proper etiquette as far as I'm concerned. The other day I had to sit at the gym for a good 20 minutes after I got there, watching some loser doing about a thousand sets of 135 lb squats. He stopped, and I asked if he was done and he just said "No!" and proceeded to do a thousand sets of 135 lb deadlifts.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How about the flip side though? It bugs the sh*t out of me when some horribly out of shape person is on the squat rack for five hours. Whenever anyone asks how many sets I have left on something, I will always invite them to work in, which is just proper etiquette as far as I'm concerned. The other day I had to sit at the gym for a good 20 minutes after I got there, watching some loser doing about a thousand sets of 135 lb squats. He stopped, and I asked if he was done and he just said "No!" and proceeded to do a thousand sets of 135 lb deadlifts.
I bet he was totally ripped, though, right? I mean, with all those reps, surely he's totally cut up...lol

That irritates me, too. And I always offer someone to work in with me unless I'm doing a high intensity day, which means that I'll be off a machine or bench within 6 minutes total, anyway. What really gets me is when people work out in groups larger than 2. I work out solo because I don't like depending on anyone else; makes it easy to not make excuses. I totally get working out with someone, though. It provides you enough time to let the other person lift while you rest and then jump right back in. Although, most people still sit around for too long talking. But what gripes me is 3 or 4 kids "working out" together who stay on a station forever because they just putz through it.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
3 minutes is enough time that it's up for grabs as far as I'm concerned. .
I completely agree. You wanna take 3 minute water breaks, don't train in a public gym.

I got into 2 confrontations because guys were in between sets and took off for "water" breaks or circuit training and I gave these guys atleast 5 minutes to return to the machine and asked everyone around it if they were using it. Then out of nowhere, like 10 minutes later they come up to me all upset, cursing and saying they weren't done. I'm like buddy, you can't leave for 10 minutes and expect people to know your on it. Your not the only person in here. They are the same type of people who are loud, doing BB rows smacking the ground and never rack their weights!

Some people just don't get it. There's unwritten rules you have to follow. Share and be considerate of others. I look at everyone in the gym as a brotherhood. We all have a respect for fitness and bodybuilding and we support eachother. Going to a gym packed full of people working out gets you moving. Just some rules I can think of that everyone should follow.

1. Re-rack your weights. It helps people know if the equipment is vacant or not.
2. Stay on or around your equipment when using it (focus on the work and move on)
3. Bring water with you so you don't have to leave your equipment. If you don't have water with you, go to the fountain after your done with your equipment and exercise. Don't walk away from your machine to get water during sets.
3. Be observant. Know what machine your using next before your done on your current one. That way you know whose been using it and you can ask them if they are done or not.