beer is good for you

1. Banned
    Answers

beer is good for you

i used to not drink at all because of my goals as a weightlifter. but since moving to the czech republic i have been having a beer or two just about everyday. and in my opinion it has not hurt my gains at all but in fact may have helped me put on some weight. and i am not talking about fat cuz i am still very lean. i don't know why i started this thread, just food for thought i guess. any comments?

2. Board Supporter
    Answers

Sorry man- Im not buying it. I've just read to many studies/had too many lectures from professors that completely contradict your belief. I just find it hard to believe that the empty cals in alcohol have any benefits for one's physique. Maybe one beer a day hasn't a negative effect on you, but I hardly doubt its had a positive one. Also, I don't know how old you are, but one beer a day for a 21-year old guy (my age) is certainly not the same as somebody who is say 41...it will catch up to you eventually.
  3. Registered User
    Answers

Alcohol in moderation is good for some health issues i know that(1 being lower risk of heart disease...... I'm guessing it's helping you because alcohol and fats have the most calories in them and may be giving you calories for energy that you are lacking........I found this........
    Why alcohol calories are more important than you think...

Print Report | Use Ctrl-D to Bookmark

Successful weight loss is all about oxidizing (or burning), more calories than you eat. When they go on a diet, many people choose low-calorie alcoholic drinks, mainly because they contain fewer alcohol calories than their regular counterparts.

However, drinking too much has a far more damaging effect than you can predict simply by looking at the number of alcohol calories in a drink. Not only does it reduce the number of fat calories you burn, alcohol can increase your appetite and lower your testosterone levels for up to 24 hours after you finish drinking.

Alcohol calories

According to conventional wisdom, the infamous "beer belly" is caused by excess alcohol calories being stored as fat. Yet, less than five percent of the alcohol calories you drink are turned into fat. Rather, the main effect of alcohol is to reduce the amount of fat your body burns for energy.

Some evidence for this comes from research carried in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition [4]. Eight men were given two drinks of vodka and sugar-free lemonade separated by 30 minutes. Each drink contained just under 90 calories. Fat metabolism was measured before and after consumption of the drink. For several hours after drinking the vodka, whole body lipid oxidation (a measure of how much fat your body is burning) dropped by a massive 73%.

Rather than getting stored as fat, the main fate of alcohol is conversion into a substance called acetate. In fact, blood levels of acetate after drinking the vodka were 2.5 times higher than normal. And it appears this sharp rise in acetate puts the brakes on fat loss.

A car engine typically uses only one source of fuel. Your body, on the other hand, draws from a number of different energy sources, such as carbohydrate, fat, and protein. To a certain extent, the source of fuel your body uses is dictated by its availability.

In other words, your body tends to use whatever you feed it. Consequently, when acetate levels rise, your body simply burns more acetate, and less fat. In essence, acetate pushes fat to the back of the queue.

So, to summarize and review, here's what happens to fat metabolism after the odd drink or two.

• A small portion of the alcohol is converted into fat.

• Your liver then converts most of the alcohol into acetate.

• The acetate is then released into your bloodstream, and replaces fat as a source of fuel.
    The way your body responds to alcohol is very similar to the way it deals with excess carbohydrate. Although carbohydrate can be converted directly into fat, one of the main effects of overfeeding with carbohydrate is that it simply replaces fat as a source of energy. That's why any type of diet, whether it's high-fat, high-protein, or high-carbohydrate, can lead to a gain in weight.

Appetite

The combination of alcohol and a high-calorie meal is especially fattening, mainly because alcohol acts as a potent appetizer. A Canadian study shows that an aperitif (an alcoholic drink taken before a meal to increase the appetite) increased calorie intake to a greater extent than a carbohydrate-based drink [5].

Not only does alcohol put the brakes on fat loss, it's also one of the most effective ways to slash your testosterone levels. Just a single bout of heavy drinking raises levels of the muscle-wasting hormone cortisol and increases the breakdown of testosterone for up to 24 hours [6]. The damaging effects of alcohol on testosterone are made even worse when you exercise before drinking [1].

The effect of alcohol on testosterone could be one reason that people who drink a lot carry less muscle. In fact, a 1993 study shows that alcoholic men have bigger waists and smaller muscles than teetotalers [2].

Although an alcohol-rich meal does increase your metabolic rate, it also suppresses the number of fat calories your body burns for energy — far more so than meals rich in protein, carbohydrate, or fat [3]. While the odd drink now and again isn't going to hurt, the bottom line is that alcohol and a leaner, stronger body just doesn't mix.
    •   

4. Banned
    Answers

i don't know, i really think that a beer a day is not bad for you, even 2. i understand that i am still young and my case might be different than a middle aged guys. heres a funny story; there was this guy in my town that was 90 something years old and he liked his whiskey. well his children which were in the 60s-70s decided that they would take his whiskey away cuz it was unhealthy for him and within a few months he croaked. i am not sure what that post meant either but i think alcohol in moderation has some benefits such as stress relief just to name one.
  5. Board Supporter
    Answers

The stress relief issue I won't disagree with

The biggest alcoholic I know is ****ing ripped..probably around 7-8% year round, and drinks probably 4 nights a week...Thats what makes this game so interesting. I haven't even had a freaking Coke or Pepsi in 3 years (nothing but water and skim milk), yet I walk around with a gut, while my alcoholic friends walk around at less than 10%. But I know that it will catch up to them...
  6. The Godfather of NUTRAPLANET
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

One word for you DT
    ...genetics
    If they weren't drinking that often, they would probably be even leaner. But you're right, it will catch up to them
  7. Banned
    Answers

or maybe it actually is all the beer. 1 gram of protein a beer, you drink a few hundred a day and your in good shape. jk
  8. The Godfather of NUTRAPLANET
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

...lol yeah and smoke a couple of packs of cigarettes per day for the nutrient partitioning effects!
  9. Registered User
    Answers

2 or 3 beers almost nightly. Maintaining single dijit bodyfat% year round. So far have gained 15lbs on my current cycle. I don't see a problem with it.
  10. Board Supporter
    Answers

doesn't beer contain flavonoids?
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  237 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by intv
    doesn't beer contain flavonoids?
    wine does, from the grapes

Wine has been shown to provide some positive benefits from the flavanoids from grapes, but beer....I don't know

Alcohol stops the fat burning process in the body while it's being digested and processed by the liver (to my understanding). But this, as all things in BB'ing it seems, does not mean that one cannot partake and have success...merely that he/she probably shouldn't
  12. Registered User
    Answers

I think having beer is a good idea. Life is more than just lifting weights and dieting. Enjoying a few beers a week is okay in my book as long as it is in moderation.
  13. PC1
    Answers

Manwhore.....thanks for that very informative post!

It may be that if someone is drinking a beer or two a day and that's helping their strength/lifting somewhat, it's an indication they're just not consuming enough carbs/calories a day to increase mass/strength? If one overeats and trains regularly, strength and size will go up, but so will bodyfat%.
  14. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hogiejoe
    i don't know, i really think that a beer a day is not bad for you, even 2. i understand that i am still young and my case might be different than a middle aged guys. heres a funny story; there was this guy in my town that was 90 something years old and he liked his whiskey. well his children which were in the 60s-70s decided that they would take his whiskey away cuz it was unhealthy for him and within a few months he croaked. i am not sure what that post meant either but i think alcohol in moderation has some benefits such as stress relief just to name one.
    LOL! You'd think that after attaining the ripe old age of 90, you'd get to do whatever you normally do, unhealthy or not.
  15. Banned
    Answers

this is kinda off subject but i havent been around in a while and i see that sifu has been banned, what happened?
  16. Registered User
    Answers

I had read somewhere that alcohol actually decreases testosterone production. I can't remember where I read that though. But on the other side, when I go out and drink, after like 2 or 3 beers, I feel huge (no, not mentally) physically. My muscles feel very thick and I feel pretty swole. Possibly from the carbs and fats.
  17. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by size
    I think having beer is a good idea. Life is more than just lifting weights and dieting. Enjoying a few beers a week is okay in my book as long as it is in moderation.
    I agree the only time I don't have a few beers a week is when on cycle. Beer is a gift from the gods.
  18. Registered User
    Answers

every man should have a few every now and then..... As far as the lowering of test goes,i don't think that would be a problem when on cycle. Most of the time i drink beer i stick with Aspen no carb. i find it doesn't give me a headache in the morning. My favorate is Vodka but i drink it like water so i'm not allowed to have it anymore. Vodka never gives me a headache no matter how much i drink. Always with water or straight
  19. Banned
    Answers

The stress-reducing effects of alcohol and the social lubrication and what that entails make it a worthwhile indulgence, IMO, provided it's not abused.

There are studies that show that moderate drinking actually extends longevity. I would suspect this has a lot to do with the stress-reduction, with stress being the silent killer.

On the other hand (I have said this before), I know from experience that peak athletic performance can't be attained if you're drinking, and I believe it has to do with oxygenation/red blood cell count and blood glycogen balance (at least in me). I ran track competitively in college, and I never performed the same if I had a couple beers the night before (could possibly have to do with sleep interference as well).

But then, I never try running until my lungs are bleeding for fun anymore, so I can't see the harm in having some beer here and there. Also, my genetic predisposition (50% German, 50% Scottish) makes me inclined to think I handle booze a little better than some.
  20. Board Supporter
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by KingMeso
    I had read somewhere that alcohol actually decreases testosterone production. I can't remember where I read that though. But on the other side, when I go out and drink, after like 2 or 3 beers, I feel huge (no, not mentally) physically. My muscles feel very thick and I feel pretty swole. Possibly from the carbs and fats.
    From the carbs and fats? I think it is bloat from the alcohol induced etrogen and carbs that you are feeling.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Cordy 5 is good for you!
    By CJPopovich in forum Millennium Sport Technologies
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-09-2008, 02:54 PM
  2. Women: Dark Chocolate is Good for You!
    By FemBot in forum Female Fitness
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-22-2007, 06:09 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-08-2005, 08:40 AM
  4. Laughter is good for you
    By cable626 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-11-2005, 08:37 PM
  5. Being active is good for you!
    By mghoodlum in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 0