Frustrated. Cut or Bulk (photos attached)

nevilledp

Awards
Hi guys.
I am 34 years old. Been training for 6 years (you wouldn't say that when looking at the pics).
I am trying to bodybuild, but my body seems to be just not in the mood to co-exist.
I weight train 4-5 days per week, I adjust my training every 6 weeks or so between various rep ranges and rest periods, etc.
My diet is on 3000 cals per day. Protein at around 250grams, carbs around 300grams, fats around 89 grams.
My diet is very clean, I am very strict (tuna, sweet potatoe, potatoe, fish, brown rice, etc). I use 10grams creatine per day, 5 grams glutamine, and some whey.
My weight is 209lbs, my bodyfat (estimated) at 15%, and my height is 6' 1.2".
I have been "cutting" for the past 13 weeks and went from around 19.5% bodyfat to 15%
What should I do? Any advice. I am so frustrated.

Attachments

Hyperion

Hyperion

Awards
Are you sure you're only as little as 15% bf there mate? You look closer to 20% in my opinion, although your height and weight may have something to do with it.

I recently did a 3-month cut diet and posted some pics. Here's the link if you want to take a look. http://anabolicminds.com/forum/pics/183542-best-shape-my.html

As for your question, no one can really answer it but you. I have always felt more comfortable being at a lower bf% even if it means looking skinny when fully covered by clothes ad not being able to lift (as) heavy in the gym, but that's probably due to the fact that I was a good 50lbs overweight throughout my teens and therefor never had a true six-pack till I was 21.

It all comes down to which look you value the most; ripped and not as strong, or heavy and really strong.

I have tried both, so I have a pretty good idea of which one I prefer. Being able to do heavy lifts in the gym (by my standards) is a great feeling, but I just prefer to have a six-pack all year round.

Anyway, I digress. The only advice I can offer you if you 're thinking of cutting, is to reduce your calories and carbs GRADUALLY to 1,500 and virtually none respectably.

That's how I went from 78kg to 66kg (27lbs) in 3 months, and I never had do any boring cardio. Also, I had some blood test down last week (red.white cell count, liver and kidneys) and they all came back normal and healthy, so I wouldn't be worried about any negative health effects (or at least I haven't presented any).

Good luck and keep us posted ;-)

SOTFguys

Awards
Are you trying to stay all natural in your training?

TheProfessor

TheProfessor

Awards
Don't do either Just focus on getting stronger.
Squat more, Workout less, let it grow.

You'll be focused on getting your numbers up on all of your lifts and you won't be as obsessed with 'cutting' or 'bulking'

Lift heavier weights and the muscle comes on.

If you want to do a bodybuilding competition then diet down. Otherwise don't waste valuable time where you could be anabolic.

If you aren't doing it for yourself and you are doing it for poon, then nothing will work.

Problem solved.

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
whatever you are doing isnt working out well for you. not trying to be a tool. i agree with professor. you gotta start lifting heavier weights. dont worry about cutting or bulking considering where you are at now. maybe try a 5x5 or something similar that has you lift more weight each week. as for diet. stay where you are. if not able to move up in strength add some calories slowly until you can progress

westhockey32

westhockey32

Awards
EAT, LIFT, SLEEP..REPEAT!!! Maybe buy a new chair