Alien Vs Predator Opinions...

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Hey -
Just saw the Alien Vs Predator movie today. I went in expecting to be sorely disappointed. It actually was a pretty decent movie. Its definately not a genre-defining film like the original Predator and Aliens, but it was definately fun to watch and Im glad I saw it in the theater.

My gripes (some spoilers here):

The first two Predators died way too easily

Since when does it take 20 minutes for an Alien to gestate and emerge from its host?

Storyline was decent, but could have been much better.

PG-13? WTF? A lot more action and carnage would have definately made this movie a better effort.

I liked:

The Aliens and Predators both looked great. I really liked the heavy 'Alien Fighting' battle armor they had on.

Alien Queen looked badass

Lance Henriksen's role in the movie was cool and made sense, giving more depth to his characters in the other films.

The 'alliance' between the main human character and the Predator was cool, and was a nod to the Dark Horse comic book series.

The disc weapon resembled the 'glade' from Krull - pretty cool.

The Predalien chestburster at the end was awesome! Made me leave the theater with a smile on my face.:)

The director (Paul Anderson) drew from the books, comics, video games, and of course the original scripts to make this movie. He did a good job at creating a story that made sense in the grand scheme of the Alien/Predator universe. It dosent really stand up to the originals, but I dont think it was meant to. A cool flick, IMO.

Not nearly as good as it could have been, but a lot better than I thought it was going to be.

BV

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
PG-13? WTF? A lot more action and carnage would have definately made this movie a better effort.

Yep, I was supposed to see it this past weekend. After I found out that it was PG-13, I said the hell with this man, and decided not to go.... :frustrate :drunk:

N

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Same here about the PG-13 and not going.

I remember what they did to Spawn.

S

SCORPIO

Awards
  • Established
Just saw it last nite....at work....burned copy, LOL! It was ok, not all they hyped it to be, but guess worth seeing. I agree it coulda been better.

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
Sounds like Hollywood running out of ideas. Predator vs Aliens,

Freddy vs Jason, what's next? Terminator vs Spiderman?

C

cr4ytonic

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I would pay to se AAAAAAAAAAAArnold beat the **** out of Tobey Maguire :)

G

Grant

Awards
  • Established
I loved it, the Predator is my favorite character, they are freakin gigantic.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I really hope they do a Predator 3 with Arnold as an older Dutch - supposedly James Cameron is to direct an Alien 5 with Sigourney Weaver too. We'll see about that...

Freddy vs Jason may have been Hollywood running out of ideas, but AVP was an effort to bring to film what fans of the Alien vs Predator movies have been wanting for years. Ever since the original Dark Horse Alien vs Predator #0 comic book back in 1990 Ive been wanting to see this flick become a reality. Dosent live up to 14 years of built up expectations, but its pretty cool.

Actually, if you really want a scare - buy the Alien Vs Predator 2 video game, play it on a 20" monitor in a dark room with Dolby 5.1 set up on your PC. Then play as the Space Marines. Now that is some scary ****:)

BV

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Yep, I was supposed to see it this past weekend. After I found out that it was PG-13, I said the hell with this man, and decided not to go....
Its still worth seeing on the big screen, IMO. Go buy the special edition Predator that just came out on DVD - you'll get a free movie ticket to AVP!

C

coofoostu

Awards
Did you guys stay for the alternate ending after the credits? I found out when I got home and was soo pissed.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Are you serious?? I missed it! What happens?

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established

LOL, I got a good one

Scarface vs. The Godfather

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
You can bet they'll capitalize on all the X vs Y comic books series out there.

Spidey vs Wolverine
Hulk vs Wolverine
aparently Batman vs Superman was being made but got deep sixed.

The combos are endless.

Howard the Duck vs Remo Williams..ouch, dated myself.

A

ass2grass

Awards
Did you guys stay for the alternate ending after the credits? I found out when I got home and was soo pissed.
edit: he was full of ****, there is no alternate ending :mad:

Last edited:
prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The movie was deffinitly a good movie, the only complaints I have with it was the PG-13 rating ( Every Predator and Alien movie has always been R), and the length. The movie was only 1hr and 20min long. They rushed alot of the story, and if they had taken the time maybe we could have seen like ten Predators tango with the Alien horde. By the way, what was up with the uber Predator that look so bad ass and died way to easily?

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
Only an hour and 20 minutes? You just know the DVD release is going to have a bunch of extra's. For a $65million movie you would think they would release a longer version in the theatre.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
LOL @ Howard the duck.....ah, the good 'ol days...

BigV, I might just do that man, buy the DVD to get in for free....

I absolutely loved Freddy vs. Jason. Call me weird, but on a nice flat screen with surround sound, etc, I can really get into that movei....LOL....the soundtrack is kick-ass too... :thumbsup:

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
BigV, I might just do that man, buy the DVD to get in for free....
Go for it bro - its worth seeing. My biggest gripe is that it could have been SO much better, and I dont see why they didnt go the extra mile to get it there. But its pretty damn cool, especially being PG-13. Im sure that wasnt the director's decision.

People slam Paul Anderson (the director of AVP) - but I totally dug Event Horizon (one of the scariest flicks Ive seen - even if it did start off killer and then degrade into a slasher flick toward the end. But it was a real sick-ass slasher flick:)) And Soldier with Kurt Russel was a great Movie.

It seems his biggest flaw is he tries to rush the story - his set up and visuals are always top notch.

BV

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Paul Anderson is a good director, and I agree with you BigV that he does seem to rush the story in a lot of his films. I didn't much care for Event Horizon, but the first Mortal Kombat, and dare I say Resident Evil where both really good movies. I have a feeling that he's alot like us individuals who love comics, video games and sci-fi/horror movies. He seems to be into those things.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm in the same boat as you guys...pretty good flick, entertaining, but I wasn't 'blown away' like I was when I saw Predator (of course, I was 12, and it was the coolest **** I had ever seen). I took my sons to it, since it was PG-13, and I have to say that IMHO it was *pushing* that rating. Not like a lot of the PG-13 **** you see, it was pretty intense and appreciably gory for that rating. Scared the **** out of them, anyway (9 and 6).

I agree on the plot-it was WAY too rushed. What a fucking cool premise with the underground temple and ****, but after the buildup, it was like sliding down the shaft in the movie-too fast and no way to slow it down.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Paul Anderson is a good director, and I agree with you BigV that he does seem to rush the story in a lot of his films. I didn't much care for Event Horizon, but the first Mortal Kombat, and dare I say Resident Evil where both really good movies. I have a feeling that he's alot like us individuals who love comics, video games and sci-fi/horror movies. He seems to be into those things.

I thought Resident Evil was alright.....I just saw the previews for Resident Evil: Apocalypse the other night....I think it's in theatres in a week or so...

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, RE2 comes out sometime in Sept. The funny thing is that Paul And. decided to opt out of directing it (he's a producer instead) so he could do AVP.
BigVrunga- to capitilize on what you said about Jim Cameron directing a Alien 5, I believe he also said that "if" he does it he wants to get a certain "Oak" to play a marine as well. How cool would that be!

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
BigVrunga- to capitilize on what you said about Jim Cameron directing a Alien 5, I believe he also said that "if" he does it he wants to get a certain "Oak" to play a marine as well. How cool would that be!
I heard about that!! That would be the ultimately best sci-fi action move ever...EVER!!! Cameron directing, Sigourney Weaver AND Arnold AND Aliens in the same film??? That's just too good to be true.

Ive got my fingers crossed...Predator3 and Alien5 done the right way could usher in a new era of kick ass flicks. Or put the final touches on what are possibly the greatest sci-fi/horror franchises of all time.

I really dug Resident Evil and Mortal Kombat as well. It seems like Anderson focuses so hard on the visual presentation, and the story takes the back burner. I agree that he definately seems like a huge comic/video game/sci-fi fan - his love for those arts shines through in his films. Just needs to focus a bit more on his plots. All his movies are like "Damn! That was awesome! But it could have been just a little bit better..."

took my sons to it, since it was PG-13, and I have to say that IMHO it was *pushing* that rating. Not like a lot of the PG-13 **** you see, it was pretty intense and appreciably gory for that rating. Scared the **** out of them, anyway (9 and 6).
I totally agree - there was even some swearing, and definately some bloodshed. There wasnt really any gratuitous carnage - but that's one aspect of the other Aliens/Predator movies that made them so riveting. But hell, during AVP I was definately glued to my seat...

Damn, all this movie talk - Id love to direct a film. If only I had the money - sheeit - Imagine the action flick we could make just with a cast from AM.com?? We have guys with enough charisma and jacked enough to play a Arnold-esq role - and dudes big enough to be hunting him down in the next Predator suit:):)

BV

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Damn, all this movie talk - Id love to direct a film. If only I had the money - sheeit - Imagine the action flick we could make just with a cast from AM.com?? We have guys with enough charisma and jacked enough to play a Arnold-esq role - and dudes big enough to be hunting him down in the next Predator suit:):)
BV
I got your title for your movie BigV, "TVP-(Titans vs. Predators)". :thumbsup:

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
Actually, if you really want a scare - buy the Alien Vs Predator 2 video game, play it on a 20" monitor in a dark room with Dolby 5.1 set up on your PC. Then play as the Space Marines. Now that is some scary ****:)

BV
I have that game; it really was crazy

Doom 3 was even crazier :)

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The Original Resident Evil, at home, by yourself, at 1:00 o'clock in the morning.
One minute I'm hunting zombies, the next I'm hunting a new pair of underwear.

C

coofoostu

Awards
Another great scary game was eternal darkness on gamecube. Definatly the scariest game I've ever played.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, that one is pretty good to.
On a side note does anyone know what the next monster vs. monster movie will really be? I heard they where talks of a Jason vs. Micheal Myers, can't say its a sure thing though.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I heard that they were going to redo King Kong vs Godzilla! That would be sweet.

I have that game; it really was crazy

Doom 3 was even crazier
Yeah, just talking about it makes me want to play it again! Im building an AMD64 3200+ system w/Radeon9800XT video right now - I cant wait to play Doom3 on that action:)

Half Life 2 comes out this year, too!

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, Peter Jackson (Lord of The Rings) is also doing a remake of King Kong right now. Can't wait to see that one!