HALF of U.S. Population Will Be Obese by 2030 Experts Predict (why?)

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
[h=1]HALF of U.S. population will be obese by 2030 experts predict as the number could swell to 164 million Americans[/h]
  • By 2030 the number of obese Americans could increase from 99million in 2008 to 164million
  • In the U.K. expected increase of 15million to 26million
About half of both men and women in the U.S. will be obese by 2030 if current trends continue, health experts warned today.

Obesity is fast replacing tobacco as the single most important preventable cause of chronic non-communicable diseases, and will add an extra 7.8million cases of diabetes, 6.8million cases of heart disease and stroke, and 539,000 cases of cancer in the U.S. within the next two decades.

Some 32 per cent of men and 35 per cent of women are now obese in the U.S., according to a research team led by Claire Wang at the Mailman School of Public Health in Columbia University in New York.

Epidemic: Approximately 32 per cent of men and 35 percent of women are now obese in the U.S.

They published their findings in a special series of four papers on obesity in The Lancet.
The findings showed Obesity is most widespread in the UK and the U.S. among the world's leading economies.

In Britain, obesity rates will balloon to between 41-48 per cent for men and 35-43 per cent for women by 2030 from what is now 26 per cent for both sexes, they warned.

'An extra 668,000 cases of diabetes, 461,000 of heart disease and 130,000 cancer cases would result,' they wrote.

Due to overeating and insufficient exercise, obesity is now a growing problem everywhere and experts are warning about its ripple effects on health and healthcare spending.

Obesity raises the risk of heart disease, stroke, diabetes, various cancers, hypertension, high cholesterol, among others.

Because of obesity, the U.S. can expect to spend an extra 2.6 per cent on its overall healthcare bill, or $66billion per year, while Britain's bill will grow by two per cent, or 2billion per year, Wang and colleagues warned.

Health risks: Obesity raises the risk of heart disease, stroke, diabetes, various cancers, hypertension and high cholesterol

In Japan and China, one in 20 women is obese, compared with one in 10 in the Netherlands, one in four in Australia and seven in 10 in Tonga, according to another paper led by Boyd Swinburn and Gary Sacks of the WHO Collaborating Center for Obesity Prevention at Deakin University in Melbourne, Australia.

Worldwide, around 1.5billion adults are overweight and a further 0.5billion are obese, with 170million children classified as overweight or obese. Obesity takes up between two to six per cent of healthcare costs in many countries.

'Increased supply of cheap, tasty, energy-dense food, improved food distribution and marketing, and the strong economic forces driving consumption and growth are the key drivers of the obesity epidemic,' Swinburn and Sacks wrote.

The health experts urged governments to lead the fight in reversing the obesity epidemic.

'These include taxes on unhealthy food and drink (such as sugar sweetened beverages) and restrictions on food and beverage TV advertising to children,' wrote a team led by Steven Gortmaker at the Harvard School of Public Health, which published the fourth paper in the series.

-----

Why do you think this is? The article states "Due to overeating and insufficient exercise"
Is that really the reason?

That's a small part of the picture in my opinion. It's mainly a drastic increase in high glycemic-load carbohydrate foods and a less general 'activity'.

This comment sums up my opinion: "
It is not over eating and lack of exercise. There has been a huge exercise revolution in America since the 70's. It is high carb, low fat that is the problem. The government has led us in exactly the wrong direction when it comes to nutrition. 40 years of demonizing dietery fat and pushing cheap calories from grain and processed foods has realy paid off. It is not as simple as calories in calories out. Our bodies just don't work that way."

Any insight is appreciated my GF is writing an eBook on nutrition/weight loss. Thank you!

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
All those stats are skewed though. At my height on a medium frame, I'm "supposed" to weight around 156lbs?!! So apparently I'm bordering on the level of obesity and I'm at 13% bodyfat! :Eyecrazy:

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
All those stats are skewed though. At my height on a medium frame, I'm "supposed" to weight around 156lbs?!! So apparently I'm bordering on the level of obesity and I'm at 13% bodyfat! :Eyecrazy:
But you are an exception. Most over 30 bmi people are fat slobs

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Yeah the BMI def. skews things - we (overweight because of muscle) are such a small exception though. :)

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
thats because most peopel dont workout for muscle masss or are body builders.
techicly arnold was extremely obes... but we all know its becaus of the system they use.
you dont need ot be very smart ot look at soem oen while waighng them to be abuel to tell aFAT obes 250lb ffrom a musculer obes lol

YYZgeddylee

YYZgeddylee

Awards
that's why the government wants to ban all our supplements.
fit, muscular people make the obese people look and feel even more unhealthy.

TurningGreen

TurningGreen

Awards
There is no reason for obesity. We can blame the government, we can blame McDonalds, but who is really to blame. There is a sufficient amount of information for people to follow that will lead them to healthy life styles and physiques; this forum being one of them. Yes the government sets standards that are not realistic for all not only in caloric needs and body measurement instruments such as the BMI, but in the end it comes down to initiative and willingness to question the "norm". Everybody has different body chemistry and reacts to foods differently and the government does not take this into account. IMO it is up to the individual to learn how their body works and maintain a lifestyle that suits their needs. It is not obesity that is the problem, it's laziness and ignorance.

Hyperion

Hyperion

Awards
Like most questions in society, there is no one single reason.

I think it would be best to categorise the different groups of people and seek for possible reasons for each.

ex. women today are fed a lot of bull**** from feminists about how they should be proud of their fat asses and that it's everyone else who's "weird", "sick" and "abnormal" for NOT looking like a 300 pound land monster.

ex. men are so focused on being the breadwinners in their homes that society puts very little emphasis on physical appearance, but rather rewards more for social status and power. How many times will you see a bold, fat rich-guy in his 50's driving a BMW with a 20yo blond model and how many times will you see that model with a gym-rat who drives a Fiat?

You really need to divide groups into sub-groups and further sub-sub-groups to even come close to getting POSSIBLE reasons. Anything else will most likely be conjecture.

Personally, I think apart from societal influence, mental laziness has a lot to do with it. It's not easy keeping a strict dietary and training regime for 10 out of the 12 months in a year, and people just don't have the patience or mental stamina to stick to one.

Food can make people EXTREMELY weak psychologically. The mere thought of being without a cheeseburger, ice-cream, pizzas etc for as little as 4 weeks intimidates and scares people. No wonder they don't have the will-power to be healthy on a long term basis.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
There is no reason for obesity. We can blame the government, we can blame McDonalds, but who is really to blame. There is a sufficient amount of information for people to follow that will lead them to healthy life styles and physiques; this forum being one of them. Yes the government sets standards that are not realistic for all not only in caloric needs and body measurement instruments such as the BMI, but in the end it comes down to initiative and willingness to question the "norm". Everybody has different body chemistry and reacts to foods differently and the government does not take this into account. IMO it is up to the individual to learn how their body works and maintain a lifestyle that suits their needs. It is not obesity that is the problem, it's laziness and ignorance.
That's actually a really good perspective.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Oliver Kween Anabolics 2
ugsavage Anabolics 7
bonbon Pics 5
Supplements 14
WesleyInman IronMag Labs 1