shoulder surgery set back

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
following the advice from my orthos phys asst(also a bb) he told me at my 4 week check up that i could start lifting light weights. he said i could do anything i wanted as long as arms were lower than shoulder. so i followed his advice, BAD idea. yeah i f'd it up but not horribly. new mri shows joint is fine. dr figures i aggrivated all the soft tissue that was cut thru for the surgery. so here i am gong into week 7 post surg and now i have to take a month away from pt as i cant do it. ice and stretching only for the month then see what happens then. f me im so depressed over this.

EBSNW1

EBSNW1

Awards
That really sucks man. But when you have surgery like that its better to wait as long as possible so you don't mess yourself up completely. Maybe you can focus on training your legs in the meantime?

DBinMD

DBinMD

Awards
  • Established
following the advice from my orthos phys asst(also a bb) he told me at my 4 week check up that i could start lifting light weights. he said i could do anything i wanted as long as arms were lower than shoulder. so i followed his advice, BAD idea. yeah i f'd it up but not horribly. new mri shows joint is fine. dr figures i aggrivated all the soft tissue that was cut thru for the surgery. so here i am gong into week 7 post surg and now i have to take a month away from pt as i cant do it. ice and stretching only for the month then see what happens then. f me im so depressed over this.
Dude,
First, I am NOT an expert. But I’ve been there, done that twice. Ruptured both quad tendons in 2001 and had a quad coronary bypass this January. Hey, when I do something I go all out. It’s good your PA is a BB and understands you. Everyone else thinks we’re nuts, so it’s real hard for me to trust them. If I listened to all they had to say I’d be stoned and lifting 10lb weights.

Pain and depression are real normal in your situation. But since your MRI was fine, you probably are OK. Our problem is our standards are so high so, while our progress would be considered excellent we’re not satisfied.

Looking back, I probably pushed myself too hard, but like I said the advice I got was pretty much all or nothing. Don’t let your age worry you because at this point you know how to train and take care of yourself so you have a good chance for recovery. I’ve always let pain be my guide. I let my PT hurt me as much as he wanted (there were times I could have punched him out) but I would never during the recovery phase do anything by myself that would hurt.

It really sucks you can’t do anything, how about really high reps? Why another month?
PM me if would want.

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
Dude,
First, I am NOT an expert. But I’ve been there, done that twice. Ruptured both quad tendons in 2001 and had a quad coronary bypass this January. Hey, when I do something I go all out. It’s good your PA is a BB and understands you. Everyone else thinks we’re nuts, so it’s real hard for me to trust them. If I listened to all they had to say I’d be stoned and lifting 10lb weights.

Pain and depression are real normal in your situation. But since your MRI was fine, you probably are OK. Our problem is our standards are so high so, while our progress would be considered excellent we’re not satisfied.

Looking back, I probably pushed myself too hard, but like I said the advice I got was pretty much all or nothing. Don’t let your age worry you because at this point you know how to train and take care of yourself so you have a good chance for recovery. I’ve always let pain be my guide. I let my PT hurt me as much as he wanted (there were times I could have punched him out) but I would never during the recovery phase do anything by myself that would hurt.

It really sucks you can’t do anything, how about really high reps? Why another month?
PM me if would want.
high reps? no way. i can only do some minor exercises with zero weights and my rom is not all that great now