Friend in very bad condition from motorcycle accident. Need your help!

WKUanimal

WKUanimal

Awards
Hey everybody. I do not post regularly here but from what I've seen before you guys seem like a good group of people. This past weekend on Saturday, a friend of mine, a fellow bodybuilder, was in a very, very bad motorcycle accident. He was airlifted to Vanderbilt Hospital where they put him in critical condition. This is a donation thread to help his cause. DwightSchrute has agreed to rep those who donate.

He has had a very intricate spinal surgery that will blow his $100,000 insurance cap out of the water, on top of the fact that his family is taking time off to care for him. So needless to say his family is in dire need on financial help. Also, the money IS NOT GOING TO ME. You can donate through this national website where the money is sent directly to the family:

CaringBridge / blakeperkins / Tributes - Click Donate Today

We also have a thread running in the Bodybuilding.com forums where we have generated over $500 dollars(the thread starter, Goose102 is a friend of his since middle school):

Best Friend in critical condition - Motorcycle Wreck - Mod reps to highest donations! - Bodybuilding.com Forums

And here is his facebook support page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Support-Page-for-Blake-Perkins/193019510756235

He's a great guy, just got going as a personal trainer and has some killer willpower, but it saddens me to see bad things happen to good people like him.

Here's some parts of the posts from the caringbridge website to give you guys an idea of what hes dealing with:

Upon his arrival to the hospital, both of Blake's lungs had collapsed and he had a large amount of internal bleeding. His blood pressure was incredibly low. He immediately went into surgery where the doctors found the main source of bleeding and removed his spleen. They also cleaned out his right leg and splinted it. They determined he had a broken tibia and fibula. He was given two chest tubes, which helped inflate the lungs and remove the fluid. He was placed in the trauma unit and held under critical condition.

His kidneys were not emptying, and he was losing massive amounts of blood internally. They removed his spleen to stop most of the bleeding, but they had to give him at least 14 pints of blood, and 16 plasma infusions just in those first hours. His legs were paralyzed due to a fracture in his spine and trauma swelling. They operated 8 or 9 hours that first day, just trying to get the bleeding stopped and to get his blood pressure up, which was dangerously low. There are only 10-12 pints of blood in the average male body, so you can imagine what a crucial problem this was. They could not close his abdomen for 2 days due to swelling. During his third day of surgery, they finally got it closed.

Another huge problem was his leg. Both legs were mutilated, but one had two compound fractures and was badly twisted. That was the leg that hit the guardrail he flipped off of. It took two days of operations to get bad tissue removed and get the fractures set and the holes closed. He was really close to losing his leg and will have a hard time when his rehabilitation starts. Hopefully it will remain infection free so he can heal.
And the man himself:

Any form of donation would be immensely appreciated. Thank you all.

Attachments

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thats terrible. I was in a motorcycle accident a while back, and was incredibly lucky

WKUanimal

WKUanimal

Awards
They're scary man, he would have died if he wasn't in such good shape.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wow. Very sorry to hear that, and thoughts go out to his friends and family. As a fellow biker who is a 2-time member of the been-down club, it's scary. Mine were very minor, but it's still enough to scare ya. I'll see if I can scare something up to help.

WKUanimal

WKUanimal

Awards
Wow. Very sorry to hear that, and thoughts go out to his friends and family. As a fellow biker who is a 2-time member of the been-down club, it's scary. Mine were very minor, but it's still enough to scare ya. I'll see if I can scare something up to help.
That would be incredible man, thanks

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm planning on donating as soon as my checking account stabilizes a little

omni

omni

Awards
  • Established
I have 3 bikes, been down 5 times and have a quadriplegic cousin from a wreck. I feel for your friend.

TheMeatus101

TheMeatus101

Awards
  • Established
Damn man, that sucks, i'll say a prayer for this man.

WKUanimal

WKUanimal

Awards
I have 3 bikes, been down 5 times and have a quadriplegic cousin from a wreck. I feel for your friend.
wow, man sorry to hear that, after this i honestly dont think ill ever get on one

ChrisSurf

Awards
That sucks, sorry to hear. Every-time I consider getting a bike, I see something like this, and a friends younger brother was just killed on his bike by an uninsured motorist. Seeing this now, nope, that's it not getting a bike. I've raced moto-x... I would only get a street bike to track, just so not worth it on the street :(

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Prayers being sent his way. Is he a WKU student, too?

WKUanimal

WKUanimal

Awards
Prayers being sent his way. Is he a WKU student, too?
Yeah man, hes in the physical therapy program.

Also, ive seen a couple AM tributes/donations on his caringbridge web page. I cant thank you guys enough

WKUanimal

WKUanimal

Awards
This is an update off the bb.com thread from my buddy who went to go see him:

Update

(Taken from the website)

Sunday, July 24, 2011 7:12 PM, CDT

"Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy."

-John Denver

This line of an old John Denver song is what Blake chose to sing while lying in his bed yesterday. Needless to say it was the sweetest sound I'd heard in a while. Later on I listened to the whole song and found that it fits Blake's personality perfectly. Blake brings sunshine into the lives of so many people whether it's through music or his bright, caring personality. Continue praying and thinking of Blake so your love can help carry him all the way to recovery.

Today Blake has run a slight fever, but is doing well and has been more talkative than during the previous days. Blake is still very tired, however he remains encouraged by all of your comments and posts in this guestbook and on the facebook support page. He is currently resting and will hopefully get some sleep tonight. Thanks again for all you have done to help us reach this point!

Update 2:

I actually saw and talked to Blake yesterday! It was great. I entered the room and saw him laying on the bed. still looking swole haha. His right arm and left leg were warpped up and booted. He has stiches on his left arm and left shoulder. His face looked like it was in good condition. He told us that it is a very weird feeling being able to see his legs, but not being able to feel them. He said he can see and touch them, but they feel like they belong to someone else. He also had to stop mid sentence to catch his breath - every sentence. Best of all though, he was talking to me just like he always does. He started off by asking me how I am. I told him I was fine. After that he just kept asking about me, hardly letting me talk. He seemed really interested in what I had been doing lately, asking about work, my girlfriend, the summer, everything... Then another close friend of mine came in. We both started making jokes and what not. I told him I had brought some whey to put in his IV, but the doc wouldn't let me. We had him laughing so hard it wore him out completely. Honestly, it was very hard seeing him in this condition, but later his mom told us that our visit really helped him. His girlfriend told us that he had been asking about us a lot.

As we were leaving his mom started crying because it made her very happy to see Blake in a good mood and having a few laughs with old friends.

I rate our visit a 10/10.

Thanks for all your support Misc, and please continue.

Conagher

Conagher

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My oldest brother has agreed to let his son,my oldest nephew,buy a motorcycle when he turns 18.That is only a few months away and the thought of it terrifies me.