Anyone here have there CCW?

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
I'm looking into holsters and really wanted to know how you carry? IWB or OWB?

I've done both and really have not personal preference to either, but if I were to pick it would be IWB.
But that would change if i were in a car or just walking down the street.

Do you CCW canted or not?

What position on the body? ie. 3 o'clock, 4 o'clock (ofcouse that is right handed).

What type of gun do you CCW? I'm thinking of changing my carry gun.

Again just looking for so suggestions and start a thread on CCW. :arms:

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I like IWB, but it is a preference thing. I have a few that I carry but usually xd40.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Im having a hard time understanding your post because I do not know any of the abbreviations you used.

However, I carry a glock 27 in a little pancake holster on my right hip between my hip bone and rear pocket. If I'm going to a shady area I may choose to carry my Springfield 1911. I can carry it in the same pancake holster.

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
Im having a hard time understanding your post because I do not know any of the abbreviations you used.

However, I carry a glock 27 in a little pancake holster on my right hip between my hip bone and rear pocket. If I'm going to a shady area I may choose to carry my Springfield 1911. I can carry it in the same pancake holster.
Sorry about that.

IWB= inside waistband holster and OWB= outside waistband holster

bowhunter28

bowhunter28

Awards
  • Established
I just have a nylon holster "OWB". I don't carry often. I want a Blackhawk Serpa but they don't currently have one for my gun which is a Springfield xdm .45

MidniteGunner

MidniteGunner

Awards
IWB small of my back. Glock 26 9mm

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
I'm either going to be using my Glock 19 or Walther P99c. I'm also looking in to the Crossbreed IWB Supertuck holster. Any one have use one?

The Blackhawk Serpa holsters are nice but I could see using one for driving a car or for cooler weather because you can have a jacket on.

Whats everyone use for ammo?

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
Glock 26 on the ankle. I can't stand having it on the waist.

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
Federal Hydra-Shock for my .40 cal's and Gold Dot for my 9mm's. And of course I have my stash of the infamous Black Talons! :saevil:

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like Quick-shot! I have tried the Hydra-shok and Gold Dot also. Tried all three on hanging turkeys at 15 yards with my Kimber 1911 45 acp and the hole from the Quick-shot was by far the most devastating! Of course, any of the three would do a great job IMO! I use the quick-shot in my 22 also when I am checking my trap line or hunting small game. You shoot a starling center mass and the exit hole is the size of a normal sized gum ball. Rags them out pretty bad!

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
I like Quick-shot! I have tried the Hydra-shok and Gold Dot also. Tried all three on hanging turkeys at 15 yards with my Kimber 1911 45 acp and the hole from the Quick-shot was by far the most devastating! Of course, any of the three would do a great job IMO! I use the quick-shot in my 22 also when I am checking my trap line or hunting small game. You shoot a starling center mass and the exit hole is the size of a normal sized gum ball. Rags them out pretty bad!
Many years back, me and a few friends ran our own ballistic tests with multiple ammos using water filled gallon ziplock bags lined in a box. Of all the ammo we shot, the Hydra's for the .40 and Gold Dots for the 9mm had the deepest penetration and nicest mushrooms. Not to mention that I've never had a jam with either of the brands through thousands of rounds. So I just stick with what works for me.

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Many years back, me and a few friends ran our own ballistic tests with multiple ammos using water filled gallon ziplock bags lined in a box. Of all the ammo we shot, the Hydra's for the .40 and Gold Dots for the 9mm had the deepest penetration and nicest mushrooms. Not to mention that I've never had a jam with either of the brands through thousands of rounds. So I just stick with what works for me.

The thing I've found is that any hollow point can work in water but not all work in flesh and bone. That is the reason why I test in raw unfrozen turkeys to get a more realistic evaluation. As far as the penetration, when shooting for stopping power, you want one that delivers most/all of it's kinetic energy on target. I am not disputing that the Hydra-shok is a great ammo- it is. I just prefer the Quick-shot for it's great "knock em on their a**" effect.

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
The thing I've found is that any hollow point can work in water but not all work in flesh and bone. That is the reason why I test in raw unfrozen turkeys to get a more realistic evaluation. As far as the penetration, when shooting for stopping power, you want one that delivers most/all of it's kinetic energy on target. I am not disputing that the Hydra-shok is a great ammo- it is. I just prefer the Quick-shot for it's great "knock em on their a**" effect.
You mean to tell me you don't want the assailants to suffer a slow death? lol jk I just feel sorry for the person who tries to enter my home, I'll tell you that much :dead:

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You mean to tell me you don't want the assailants to suffer a slow death? lol jk I just feel sorry for the person who tries to enter my home, I'll tell you that much :dead:
My wife and I both have man-stoppers by our bed within fast easy reach so I feel sorry for em at our house too! As far as slow painful, it all depends on where you shoot em! Lol!

Hawk

Hawk

Awards
  • Established
Crossbreed's are the ugliest, MOST COMFORTABLE, IWB holster you can buy. (supertuck). Great company and that would be my suggestion as far as holsters go. I think the have a lifetime warranty, and a 30 day money-back guarantee. If you live in a hot climate, get the horsehide. Don't get the combat cut, you can do that yourself (if needed) and have it custom fit to you.

As far as weapons go, there isn't enough time to debate. lol. You can't go wrong with good striker fire system like glock, xd, m&p. Pull it out and pull the trigger (no safety, etc...)

The two main things you'll want to consider are handgrip length, and overall thickness. (barrell length really isn't a factor) So obviously any single stack magazine will be good (for thickness) and most companies make a compact/subcompact version of their weapon systems nowadays.

Where you want to carry will be up to you. Just play with positions/angles and see what fits best. A holster with adjustable cant is really helpfull here (if you don't know what you like)

I like to carry at my 4-5 o'clock and I use the 'FBI' cant.

I can talk guns all day, I'd love to help if I can.

Good luck.

ETA: we actually have open carry here in MO, but I've yet to do it.

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Crossbreed's are the ugliest, MOST COMFORTABLE, IWB holster you can buy. (supertuck). Great company and that would be my suggestion as far as holsters go. I think the have a lifetime warranty, and a 30 day money-back guarantee. If you live in a hot climate, get the horsehide. Don't get the combat cut, you can do that yourself (if needed) and have it custom fit to you. As far as weapons go, there isn't enough time to debate. lol. You can't go wrong with good striker fire system like glock, xd, m&p. Pull it out and pull the trigger (no safety, etc...)The two main things you'll want to consider are handgrip length, and overall thickness. (barrell length really isn't a factor) So obviously any single stack magazine will be good (for thickness) and most companies make a compact/subcompact version of their weapon systems nowadays. Where you want to carry will be up to you. Just play with positions/angles and see what fits best. A holster with adjustable cant is really helpfull here (if you don't know what you like)I like to carry at my 4-5 o'clock and I use the 'FBI' cant. I can talk guns all day, I'd love to help if I can.Good luck.ETA: we actually have open carry here in MO, but I've yet to do it.
Where I live, we have open carry also but now most places have "no firearms allowed" signs up. They claim it is for the safety of their employees. Bunch of crap IMO! Anyone who goes through the CC class knows that if they pull their gun in public that they are under tremendous scrutiny of if it was justified or not. Just for showing it, there could be legal actions. I remember going into a gas station after being out checking a trap line at night while wearing my Super Blackhawk 44 mag right on my hip/leg. There was a sheriff in there and he asked me if it was loaded. I told him of course! Then he started asking how bad it kicks and how accurate it was. Wound up talking for bout 20 minutes with him bout different guns, what ammo we liked and other things. He told me before I left that he wished there were more people out there that cared to know and practice as much as I did. He said this country would be a lot safer if people were more informed and trained! Have to say he was one of the coolest cops I ever ran into!

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Every other person I have talked to says it will. Only possible difference should be the slide length. It may or may not stick out the bottom. I know of guys that use this holster for their Taurus pistols just fine.

bowhunter28

bowhunter28

Awards
  • Established
Well I will have to go to my gun shop and see if they have one then. Thanks.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
No problem. I have a couple Taurus pistols and have to look at holsters designed for other pistols sometimes.

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
"Lightly" customized Springfield Government sized 1911, blade tech IWB for the win!!! Ammo? Whatever my PD issues me. I also have a blackhawk serpa OWB that I carry my Springfield Operator in, aaaand I have a neoprene inside the pocket for my Ruger LCR .38 +p2 is one, one is none :D

stevnan

Awards
In Colombia people often carry them in fanny packs believe it or not. Good to know if you ever visit CO... If you see someone with a fanny pack, well... just assume they're carrying. Lol.

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
Anyone us the Crossbreed Holsters? I'm thinking I like the leather aginst my skin more then a hard gun.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
I have a similar style made by kholster. A bit cheaper and works great. Good thing is if you trim the leather and f it up, you can return it for a new one. Great warranty. Plus you can find a 10%off coupon code.

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
I have a similar style made by kholster. A bit cheaper and works great. Good thing is if you trim the leather and f it up, you can return it for a new one. Great warranty. Plus you can find a 10%off coupon code.
Is the company called Kholster?

dirtwarrior

dirtwarrior

Awards
Get a 6 shot .45 long colt loaded with .410 shotgun shells. Very good for short distance

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
Ya I got one of those for my Glock 19. It is a very comfertable holster. You know its there but no problems useing it allday. Thanks for the suggs.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
.38 spl smith and wesson +p as my ccw

Fat Boy

Awards
When I used to carry: Walther PPS .40 in a crossbreed supertuck IWB holster. Hornady critical defense ammo. As far as carry position, you need to find what works for you, (consider: body type, clothing, firearm size and draw technique) there is not a single best way to carry.